LS stand alone ignition controller ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigmike

LS stand alone ignition controller ?

Post by bigmike »

Asking for a friend. Looking for a stand alone ignition controller in stock for a carburetor equipped LS engine. What are the options? I think his engine going in a older jeep has the 24x reluctor wheel.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: LS stand alone ignition controller ?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

bigmike wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 pm Asking for a friend. Looking for a stand alone ignition controller in stock for a carburetor equipped LS engine. What are the options? I think his engine going in a older jeep has the 24x reluctor wheel.

I have used the older 6010 MSD with no issues but,
I have been told they now have another controller which works with a 58 tooth trigger..
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

We have a msd controller on our dyno, it’s one of the newer models that comes with both the early and lat harnesses, and it auto configures so it’s simple to use. If you get more adventurous in the future it has a map sensor for boosted applications and you can build your own timing curve on your computer and down load it to the box. Cool stuff!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Is the new LS msd box programmable or just has a few presets to choose from? Kinda rem something bout presets back when I looked into a few years ago.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I use the Daytona sensor unit. I was told by a couple people that had ran the MSD controller, that the Daytona control was an "upgrade". I can't speak for that since I haven't run the MSD personally, but it seems to be really nice. It has performed well, the software is nice and easy to use.

I have played with individual cylinder timing, rpm based timing curves, etc etc...Its pretty slick really.

But I have a major beef with it that Im not sure the MSD unit has. It will not tolerate non-resistor spark plugs, it makes this very clear to you :? . I contacted Daytona about the issue, and they are well aware and don't have a solution. Problem is....their control is running a 14:1 compression engine, and there is no availability of plugs in a suitable heat range for this application that are resistor type. Engine is showing signs of having to high of a heat range so...
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Why not run solid core wire and resistor plug ends like the european cars use. Here is one, BOSCH 0356100015
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

HDBD wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am Why not run solid core wire and resistor plug ends like the european cars use. Here is one, BOSCH 0356100015
Thats been suggested to me, But I haven't seriously looked into it, ....and am not familiar with it. I will have to address it before I put it on the dyno next time for sure. I just didn't know how bulky they would be....as to not create issues with the headers. Thanks for the part # and suggestion. Still makes me scratch my head that with all the high horsepower computer controlled stuff out there currently that the spark plug manufactures haven't added some colder resistor plugs.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Ours is the newer MSD 6014, look it up on their site, tons of cool features including programmable timing curves, etc.
greenhj

Post by greenhj »

I would take a look at the Haltech VMS. Essentially an elite 2500 ECU without injector drivers.

Not as cheap as the MSD or daytona but light years ahead in spec and tuneability.