speedmaster/ procomp valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rocketracer380
Pro
Pro
speedmaster/ procomp valves

Post by rocketracer380 »

are they good enuff for a 500hp build? 130#' closed 325#' open seat pressure 7k rpm
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: speedmaster/ procomp valves

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I've never used or sold a set of those heads but they are selling like hot cakes in my neighbourhood by the other speedshop. I'm thinking they will probably do the job. We've all probably had good quality parts fail even.

A guy brought me a pair of the BBC heads to put together because he ad bought them bare, they require the guides to be reamed out to the right size before you can just assemble them.

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Ask yourself this, would you want to trust a nice engine to some china valves?
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I know Elgin latest valves are made in China and China has improved in some areas. But the procomp/speedmaster name is so bad, I wouldn't trust their valves if I was gonna buy just valves. If they were already in some of their heads, then I wouldn't use em on a good short block but I prob would just sell their heads instead of using. I just ordered another set of bare heads for my youtube channel and when shopping for valves saw speedmaster has some for dirt compared to others, I'll pass!
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Yes there is stuff made in china but the material seems to be ok but the machining and finish quality suffers.
Seen there valves and guide work/finish and while the castings are good enough for a basic build guide clearance suffers.
The stem sizing with regards to taper and run out has a lot to be desired. The face angle most times is off a degree or two.
But that's true with the Elgin stuff as well. I used elgin stuff for years when made in the USA and the sizing was good
but after the move to china it went down hill big time. But the same thing happened with FM pistons made in India [-X [-X

It took years for them to bring it back to north america and in the end at what cost??? They moved production to India and back again!!!
What did it cost over all to make these moves?? It can't be all of us bitchin about quality but I bet the production builders had a bigger hand in them making the change.

That said the chi-com manufactures know this and while they copied a ton of stuff they learned one big lesson in this day and age.
COST IS KING AND KEY TO SELLING STUFF ON THE NET THESE DAYS.Look at how many 1st time engine builds do we answer questions about that the 1st thing asked is " will these parts be OK for my low power street engine build"

Just like the OP asked cause he seen them at a cost that was better then what is got from the US manufactures.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Mahle Motorsports is the only manufacture that has a shelf piston for those heads I have used.
Remember Diamond Wiseco JE/SRP are all owned but a single group
RWB ( race winning brands ) owns all of them and it seems the ring pack and quality of the supplied rings has suffered.
And I am told that hastings does their rings with their new manufacturing process
But Mahle has the best off the shelf combo I have used. =D> =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

If you like playing "Russian Roulette" then go for it.

I'd be more worried with the valve springs and retainers they are.......CRAP...........buy them heads bare and go from there.

It's amazing how quality has gone out the window even with the "BIG" guys.........Buddy just bought some complete heads for 6k and still needed work. #-o

No such thing as bolt on and ready to, got to check every part you buy.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Why SM/PC valves be any worse than Ferrea valves made in Argentina??
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

My new peanut port heads have Fererra valves in them and I was quite impressed with them. Will use again as valves on anything that runs high RPM is not a place to skimp on.