Engine Oil

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Crew Chief

Engine Oil

Post by Crew Chief »

Good day,

Is anyone using Amsoil in their circle track engines? How do you like it? What grade are you using?
What engine oil filter are most using?

I have been using Penn Oil but it just doesn't seem the same anymore since the company changed hands.

I use WIX racing filters and have been told that the NAPA Gold filter is the same filter as the WIX racing filter.

I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Thanks
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine Oil

Post by Krooser »

I ran Amsoil in my 351C dirt engines in the 80's.

We broke an oil pump and ran a 25 lap main without oil pressure. Only damage was some piston skirt scuffing... reused the bearings. No valve train damage.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

the napa gold filter is not the same as the wix racing filter. I just went through a spun bearing fiasco that i am partly blaming a napa gold filter. I'm switching to the moroso filter. The wix racing filter is probably fine.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

What Amsoil product are you referring to? Dominator series? Amsoil makes great oils for long change intervals, namely their signature series. Their dominator oils are stout with good anti-wear but fall a little short when it comes to friction reduction. For an NA dirt engine, it'll work well, but may leave a couple HP on the table.

High Performance Lubricants makes an oil for the WoO Sprint cars and Late Models (Sammy Swindell and David Gravel) called their Bad Ass Racing oil. It's a highly friction modified oil that'll work in your favor.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Oil is really a personal preference as to many racing oils will provide great protection and power.
As long as the Viscosity is correct for that engine and temperature remains in check, all the major brand name racing oils will certainly be fine. Especially when oil changes are often.
Some offer specific qualities for certain instances which is the major differences.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am Oil is really a personal preference as to many racing oils will provide great protection and power.
As long as the Viscosity is correct for that engine and temperature remains in check, all the major brand name racing oils will certainly be fine. Especially when oil changes are often.
Some offer specific qualities for certain instances which is the major differences.
Without the use of oil lab analysis, we have no idea regarding actual oil viscosity.
Then we need to know actual oil temperatures, not merely sump temps.

There is a reason why serious racing programs have access to lubrication engineers.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I agree I have been a brad penn advocate but earlier this season when I pulled the pan on my sons circle track motor I was very disappointed with what I saw. I’ve been trying to find a suitable alternative now. I’ve used the Brad penn for years and was always impressed, but something has changed not sure what.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

David Redszus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:41 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am Oil is really a personal preference as to many racing oils will provide great protection and power.
Without the use of oil lab analysis, we have no idea regarding actual oil viscosity.

There is a reason why serious racing programs have access to lubrication engineers.
Exactly. You want to know the temperature of the oil in the bearings, not in the sump. A NASCAR cup engine cruising around Daytona at 8000 rpm will have ~280*F sump temps, but the oil temp in the bearings is 350+*F. That's with a light 0w-20 oil. Also keep in mind that higher viscosity than necessary for the clearance causes hydrodynamic friction to increase rather sharply, and where there's friction, there's heat. Once you have sufficient oil film to maintain bearing to journal separation, going thicker doesn't make them have any less contact so it won't magically reduce wear further as some believe. Higher viscosity is also more susceptible to aeration, especially if windage is high. A lot of guys run 50 grade oils in engines that would be perfectly fine with a 30 grade and are just throwing away power.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Redszus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:41 pm

All well and good however, The average racer does not fit into the realm of those parameters ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

double post #-o
Last edited by rebelyell on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I’ve used amsoil on a dirt track. It showed less wear than valvoline and Mobil 1. Reminded me of brad penn in that it leaves a black film in the oil pan.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'm going back to CenPeCo SAE 30 in my new build.

I'd prefer synthetic but not with alky.

CenPeCo ran great in my dirt modifieds and my dealer delivers right to my door at good prices. Using their gear oil, too.

Walter is right... Oil is a personal preference. I know guys running WalMart oil without any issues.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Joe Kraemer
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Joe Kraemer »

I have been using Penn Oil but it just doesn't seem the same anymore since the company changed hands.

I would take a look at the driven gp-1line of oil. When I spoke with driven at PRI last year it was explained to me that gp-1 had the Pennsylvania base oil and Penn oil no longer did.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

If Driven is SO good why does Joe Gibbs Racing run MOBIL1 now?????