General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Ca 80s build...chinese 180cc head?

Post by cv67 »

Debating cal legal :cry: 383 for an 88 C4
Have std's been lowered to the point where this just isnt possible anymore?
L98 TPI 121k barely passed before it was sold to me..however I bet it wasnt warm enough, and 02 sensor/tune up parts are old.
Could good ring seal and an effiecient combustion chamber make a notable improvement in emissions?
Engine is pretty healthy its been babied since day 1 still has 30psi@idle unless coolant is over 200
These head gaskets pooch anyways around this age so Im planning.

If I do this is there a 180ish cc cost effective alum head out there?
Iron is a big maybe but not out of the question.
Lots of 200cc+ ones but the max this intake can take is a 1205 fel pro
AFR isnt out of the quesiton just dont feel like sinking a bunch into the mechanicals
Engine rarely sees more than 2500 in most driving anyways .If it drops a valve oh well.

Dont know that a 350 would feel worthwhile as it will be pulling a 2.73 gear

Suggestions?
Last edited by cv67 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: Ca 80s build...chinese 180cc head?

Post by cv67 »

Before the "why not use the 113s"" comes up, cost of machining, bigger valves plus the old school combustion chamber-
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If your average cruse rpm is 2500 and you want strong Torque around that range , then even with a nice 5500 rpm peal hp possibility I would go with the Dart 165 cc iron Head.

They flow some 230 Intake cfm @ .500", so if you figure a average of 220 cfm your 383 should make a easy 400 hp with a very streetable Cam .

The last set I bowl ported for a fellow to slap on his 350 in a boat with a closed system got to 245 cfm with very little port enlightenment, and with a Prop change let him have the best of both worlds with his high speed fishing needs so to speak, lol!

The extra temp held by the chamber will help you pass a sniff test.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Sounds like a contender....whats your opinion on the old tfs 305 head? 1.94 valve 58cc chamber

The 2.73 gear is fine for running around town but lays down in anything other than 1st lol
TPI...first to 30mph or 30 feet :lol:

Faint smell of coolant when it was warming up this morning, matter of time. Dont wanna kill bearings...damn just bought this thing too. But these HG all go on 113 heads know it was coming

Keep the suggestions coming.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

That trick flow head looks like a good pick also, but it would need to flow some 12% more then the iron head to make the same hp which it does not, that being said the 175 CC runner being 6% greater in area would allow the trick flows to hang onto peak hp that same 6 % higher in rpm if that matters to you.

For now I would add a bottle of the Aluminum/ Bronze sealing powder to your rad to keep the cylinders and Crank case dry until you make the swap.

90% of the time if your leak is not to the point of over pressurizing the rad, then the powder will do the trick and not coat the cooling system with ciramic like others which while seal, they reduce the heat transfer to the cooling system!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!