Magnet on oil pan?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Magnet on oil pan?

Post by econo racer »

If I run a magnet on the bottom of my oil pan is it gonna mess up my msd box , delay box or coil ?
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: Magnet on oil pan?

Post by miniv8 »

You better have ARP oil pan studs to hold it if its that big, and be prepared to get stuck on railroad-crossings.

I run magnets on engine and transmission pans. I stick them on transfer cases and differentials. In the dragster, the door car and daily driver.
Never had an interference issue.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

miniv8 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:48 pm You better have ARP oil pan studs to hold it if its that big, and be prepared to get stuck on railroad-crossings.
I just spit coffee!! Thanks for the laugh.

I also run magnets on the pan, filter and transmission pan with no problems.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

a small magnet, so long as it isnt within a few inches of any electronics should pose no problem.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I just put a magnetic drain plug in mine. I like that because at every oil change I can clean and inspect it.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I think a magnet on the oil filter is a great idea.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

I use these on all my cars,
images.jpeg
They are not cheap but work well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

It's a good idea but note that it will only catch ferrous metals. Bearing material, typically made of lead, copper, and aluminum, will typically pass right by it. I say this because some people will hear a rod knock, look at the magnetic drain plug, and think it must be fine since there isn't much metal on the magnet.

I like the filter magnet and cut my filters open after use to inspect what it caught.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I just have a magnet from my old microwave.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Magnets from old SATA hard drives works well also.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

RDY4WAR wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:42 pm Magnets from old SATA hard drives works well also.
They are crazy strong but being a rare earth magnet they don't like high temperatures. 125-150 deg C max. Above that it gets demagnetised.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

If you use several magnets be very careful. You might not be able to shut the motor down. :wink: :lol:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:48 am If you use several magnets be very careful. You might not be able to shut the motor down. :wink: :lol:
Maybe concentrate enough of them near the counterweights and actually help rev acceleration like a magnetic pendulum. :lol:
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

econo racer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:32 pm I just have a magnet from my old microwave.
Yep those are perfect.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Sure- a magnet will pick up most iron/steel chips that can cause problems. Not necessary to use a powerful magnet, just one with a larger surface area. I use flexible magnetic signage- the type where you cut out door numbers for lower level competition. By trimming carefully, you can also wrap the oil filter can- and make sure it doesn't fall off with a hose clamp. Don't try gluing- that introduces a layer between magnet and the steel surface, weakening the effect. Just replace as required. The signage is cheap and cuts with scissors. Remember it makes cleaning the pan more difficult and may be necessary more often.

Be careful with home-made magnetic drain plugs in oil pans or trannys. One friend had a small, powerful magnet come loose inside his trans, and according to the Rules of the Universe, it gravitated to a synchro, jammed the shifter and adhered so tightly, it took a complete removal & tear-down to restore shifting. Many such magnets are sintered/powdered metal and will crack in pieces if peened into a hole with too much enthusiasm. I use red Lock-tite with extremely careful peening; YMMV!