BBC Manual fuel pumps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
BBC Manual fuel pumps

Post by vht »

Listed my electric pump and stuff I had for sale, decided just to go with a manual pump on my BBC. Was really wanting to do a turbo build but health and money got in the way. Considering I haven't ran a manual pump since the stone ages, what is a good pump to run that will support 600 HP? I have a 1/2 line from the tank, would the QF 110 GPH work? I'll run a regulator, I have a new Holley reg, are they to restrictive using a 8 an in and 1 6 an to the carb? This is mostly a street car but I'd like to avoid china crap and have something dependable.
Ohio Rob

Re: BBC Manual fuel pumps

Post by Ohio Rob »

I’ve got a Baker mechanical on my BBC marine engine.
I have it plumbed in a bypass configuration (the pump is set for 15 psi)

I have a Holley HP mech pump as well.
Very nice billet unit. Needs a dead head regulator (it’s set for 11psi).

The baker runs 250 bucks or so
The Holley is discontinued (probably due to the MSRP being around 600 bucks) and I bought it from Holley, on close out, for around 325.

Both made in the USA
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

vht wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:53 am Listed my electric pump and stuff I had for sale, decided just to go with a manual pump on my BBC. Was really wanting to do a turbo build but health and money got in the way. Considering I haven't ran a manual pump since the stone ages, what is a good pump to run that will support 600 HP? I have a 1/2 line from the tank, would the QF 110 GPH work? I'll run a regulator, I have a new Holley reg, are they to restrictive using a 8 an in and 1 6 an to the carb? This is mostly a street car but I'd like to avoid china crap and have something dependable.
110GPM should be plenty.
which holley regulator?
vht

Post by vht »

It's a old style holley regulator just like the ones that has been around forever. I don't know the pt #.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Just run mechanical pump with a preset.
if you are talking about a 12-803 holley, its not enough as it has a .220" restriction. the 12-704 has a 7/16" restriction and is better suited for over 500hp.

But like i mentioned you could just run a self regulated mechanical pump. and not worry about a regulator.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

mt-engines wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:23 pm Just run mechanical pump with a preset.
if you are talking about a 12-803 holley, its not enough as it has a .220" restriction. the 12-704 has a 7/16" restriction and is better suited for over 500hp.

But like i mentioned you could just run a self regulated mechanical pump. and not worry about a regulator.
That is the reason I am on here!! My son thinks the Carter pump is not enough for his 360 and we argue because he has never had a pressure problem.
But everyone says run the biggest pump available and regulate it down. Fine on the Willys race car but not so much on the 73 Blazer.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
vht

Post by vht »

All the fuel pumps seem to be capable of 7.5 psi, I don't like running that on a Holley needle and seat. I like to make sure it stays at 5 3/4 to 6.
Roadknee

Post by Roadknee »

I believe the Edelbrock pump is rated 6 psi.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

vht wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:46 pm All the fuel pumps seem to be capable of 7.5 psi, I don't like running that on a Holley needle and seat. I like to make sure it stays at 5 3/4 to 6.
you shouldn't have a problem at that psi. over 8 psi i'd recommend using a regulator.
a basic 12-454-11 fuel pump is fine without a regulator. I ran one on my mid 600hp 496 in my old shop truck for years.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

vht wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:53 am Considering I haven't ran a manual pump since the stone ages, what is a good pump to run that will support 600 HP? I have a 1/2 line from the tank, would the QF 110 GPH work? I'll run a regulator, I have a new Holley reg, are they to restrictive using a 8 an in and 1 6 an to the carb?
That pump will do an excellent job for you. I'd also suggest using this QF regulator. It's an updated version of the Holley 'style' regulator, inexpensive and work very well. Mine has been trouble free for 6 years. :)

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... /30-803QFT

Sounds like a fun project...hope your health concerns turn around, sir. :)
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Jim
vht

Post by vht »

Thanks for all the info. With the problems I've had and seen with the Holley needle and seats I guess I'm gun shy. Brand new 850 the other day and both were junk. Took them out, no dirt or nothing on them so I sprayed them with WD and reinstalled, same thing, pushing gas ut of the vent tubes. This was with the pressure down to 5 1/2 psi! I pulled 2 used one out of an old 750 laying around and they worked perfect.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

The O-rings on the needle and seat assemblies can also be the problem.
Pro question poster.