Burst oil filter,22re

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Burst oil filter,22re

Post by dfarr67 »

1990 4runner 22re turbo retrofit. Tuner calls me yesterday and says there's oil all over his dyno. New standalone ecu so truck has idled with no issues but when rev'd the Fram failed- don't know if it was filter or o-ring. Oe short block was traded for turbo compression friendly short block and had various upgrades including LCE double roller timing chain kit- don't know how this impacts the oil pump. I'll have to wait until a new filter is installed and see what happens- one mechanic is not surprised- seen is a few times on his jap projects. cheap fram was a few years old as the project has been sitting, was waiting to get a few miles on the engine and do another oil change. Just wondered what the experience was out there- always jumping to the worst case scenario.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Burst oil filter,22re

Post by BOOT »

I'll be the First to post, never use a fram filter on a performance engine.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I dumped oil on my Grandmother's clean driveway 40 years ago with a Fram -- but it was me not knowing to lube the filter gasket prior to tightening.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

many years ago i stopped at a friends garage and he was in a very ugly mood. i asked why so cranky and he replies my fresh big block lost oil pressure during warm up. He walked away and i pulled a fram filter from his remote mount and the media was all twisted up inside.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

When I first read the title, "Burst oil filter, 22re," my first thought before reading the replies was, "I bet it's a Fram filter."

For some reason the Fram filters seem to split open once in awhile. And worse, some have a problem with the bypass spring and very low oil pressure at idle. Mitsubishi even released a bulletin saying that they wouldn't cover engine damage under warranty if a (Fram) oil filter was on it when the failure occurred.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

Cut the Fram open then cut a Wix or other quality filter open and compare.
You will see why all the negative comments about Fram.
Tom
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

dynoflo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm many years ago i stopped at a friends garage and he was in a very ugly mood. i asked why so cranky and he replies my fresh big block lost oil pressure during warm up. He walked away and i pulled a fram filter from his remote mount and the media was all twisted up inside.
Know a guy that had the same thing happen with a fram
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

There's probably six other brands of filter I prefer when reaching for filter- I didn't install but it was just for short term use anyway. I've never had any filter issues during my driving/maitaining career. I hope it is a one off issue and not a pressure issue, I never had the engine running prior.

I bought a box of filters last year from Amazon- chinesium, ACD or Honda can't remember and NOT impressed.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Hopefully someone will keep a close eye on the oil pressure, JIC it's not the filter's fault.

My son's girlfriend drove at highway speed for five miles in low range in his '91 Chev Tracker. The next time he started it, the oil filter burst. So did the replacement he screwed on. So did the Heavy Duty Mobil 1 unit I installed; it blew out as I watched. My best guess is that debris from the over-rev jammed the oil pressure relief valve. (Although it blew at a fast idle, so maybe the crank's oil passages were plugged with bearing material...)

At three years old it was already a total rot-box so he sold the hardtop for $600 :shock: and scrapped the rest.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

dynoflo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm many years ago i stopped at a friends garage and he was in a very ugly mood. i asked why so cranky and he replies my fresh big block lost oil pressure during warm up. He walked away and i pulled a fram filter from his remote mount and the media was all twisted up inside.
I keep the last Fram filter that did that to me on a shelf in the shop. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

I heard that the manufacturing moved and is better now. I can’t say for certain. I don’t want to jump on the bandwagon just because everyone else is, but I lost two engines from Fram filters imploding internally. Never had issues with other filters. It still could be another issue like Bill said, so keep an eye open.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Was it on the seam or did the case rupture?
Ed
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

emsvitil wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:16 am Was it on the seam or did the case rupture?
No idea- it's two hours away. When the cause is known I'll update.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Can you get pictures of the failed filter? Fram went through a rather major rebuilding after they were acquired by Rank. I've cut open 65 of them in the past 5 years, from dirt late models to truckers going 100k mile OCIs, and not a single failure found with them. Purolator has been the problem brand lately with torn medias and ADBVs.

Yours would be a first I've seen of the new line. Any pictures to document it would be great. Also, what oil was used? Oil pressure? Functioning bypass valve? At what rpm did this occur? The date and batch code on the filter? The more information you can provide, the better.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

On my personal race engine, and street car engine, I recommend them to most as well, but I use a system one oil filter. It has a super heavy aluminum housing, so it will not split, stainless steel mesh filter element is easy to clean and look for debris, I think they are 30 micron, and eventually it will pay for itself as you only buy one for the engine. And if you care, it is friendly to the environment, nothing goes to the landfill. Is there a reason you guys do not like those type of filters?