Best power steering fluid to quiet fussy pump

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Best power steering fluid to quiet fussy pump

Post by dfarr67 »

Still searching but wanted some opinions on what has worked for you. My issue is a rpm related pump whine when hot. Will throw some Lubegaurd additive at it for now then change fluid then change pump in that order- have had this or that issue with my system for years. 89 chev k1500 Saginaw with hydroboost, trans cooler on this system. I am using a u-joint vs rag joint so that will contribute to some noise. I have thrown many pumps at this issue and am considering a good used GM unit now.

Lived in northern Canada where keeping PS systems and hoses happy is a challenge- found Acura fluid worked very well.
- on a dyno tuning session the M1 ATF blew out the pump pressure cap, what a mess.
- Amsoil swelled cap seal
- using Redline (with some Ford friction modifier) now with a above mentioned whine.

Looking at a fluid I can buy by the liter or jug some of which are hard to source here.
- LiquiMoly
- Driven
- CHF 202, I have had good luck with Pentosin products in the Honda manual trans.
- CHF 11S
- Febi/Bilstein (part number?)
- Idemitsu (not liter size)
- Ford XT-5
- Lubegaurd seems overly expensive even compared to the above.

I think your seeing a German trend here;) So....I welcome your thoughts.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Best power steering fluid to quiet fussy pump

Post by Schurkey »

The PS on my Trailblazer whined like a two-year-old.

Instantly fixed with GM "Cold Climate" PS fluid. Of course, this was in the Frozen Wastelands, in winter.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

On our dirt late model you could not use over the counter p/s fluid. I used racing fluid from Sweet. It was noticeablely thicker. After a little research I tried 68 hydraulic fluid, it worked as good as racing fluid.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Lucas oil power steering stop leak fluid, it does wonders. Never seen it really stop a leak, but it is nice and thick and makes them quiet.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I bought 5 gallons of CASE synthetic hydraulic oil at Tractor Supply and never encountered an issue in any racing power steering system.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Well, came around full circle and did a flush with Beck Arnley Honda fluid and one bottle of Lubeguard. Still get an odd growl but nothing like before. Seems like this is an old trick.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Lucas from walmart does well for me. :D
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

AW 32 or 46. unless you are driving in +100 degree weather AW68 is pretty thick. I use 46 mostly. It will quiet down any pump without a severe mechanical problem or air leak. Plus its like $13 a gallon

If I remember correctly AW32 is 10wt, AW46 is 20 wt, and AW68 is 30 wt.
MT Jeff
Pro
Pro

Post by MT Jeff »

You might try an anti foaming additive. Mopar has one for auto trans fluid. PN 4549637. Not sure if the Lubeguard has an anti foam additive but entrapped air will make a pump noisy. And it's only a couple of bucks.
Why is the least trained, lowest paid tech working on the most important part of your car, THE BRAKES ! I know I work next to him.