BBC crankshaft with no name???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

badbug3
Pro
Pro

BBC crankshaft with no name???

Post by badbug3 »

I have a brand new 4.5 inch stroke bbc crankshaft with center counterweights and there is not a name on it anywhere. Who would make a crank without some brand name? The journals are highly polished and the countweights have that chinese dark cheesy look. Anyone know who sells their cranks with no name?
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Re: BBC crankshaft with no name???

Post by lance flake »

I think RPM cranks are sold to private label resale outfits with no id on them. Post a pic of it someone may can identify from there.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

badbug3 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:17 pm I have a brand new 4.5 inch stroke bbc crankshaft with center counterweights and there is not a name on it anywhere. Who would make a crank without some brand name? The journals are highly polished and the countweights have that chinese dark cheesy look. Anyone know who sells their cranks with no name?
Sunray

http://www.chinasunray.com/chanpinshiji ... 08/43.html

A few companies import chinese castings and machine here. You would be surprised.
SGI cranks and rods were sometimes marked or not
Cat,PEP, Procomp etc
Last edited by mt-engines on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

badbug3 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:17 pm I have a brand new 4.5 inch stroke bbc crankshaft with center counterweights and there is not a name on it anywhere. Who would make a crank without some brand name? The journals are highly polished and the countweights have that chinese dark cheesy look. Anyone know who sells their cranks with no name?
Ohio Crankshaft sells BBC stuff but as far as appearance goes its hard to say.
I have seen some of their stuff and it has no info markings other then what came in or on the box when purchased.

There is some cast and forged cranks like you described is your cast or forged??? That may help with a manufacture ID as well as a pic or two as mentioned.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
badbug3
Pro
Pro

Post by badbug3 »

the crank is junk to me as i mic'd it and sure enough the rod journals are all tapered towards the cheek by almost a .001. Its worthless and not worth grinding to me.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

badbug3 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:21 pm the crank is junk to me as i mic'd it and sure enough the rod journals are all tapered towards the cheek by almost a .001. Its worthless and not worth grinding to me.
If you paid new cost for it that sucks but the cost of a grind to repair an otherwise good crank is worth it regardless if its steel or cast if you are personally going to do a build.
Hell we had to grind brand new GM LT-1 steel cranks back in the day and that was just a normal deal to have to do.

If ya had to machine it 10/10 there is still nothing wrong with that. The crank manufactures even sell their new cranks and they come 10/10 out of the box :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

badbug3 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:21 pm the crank is junk to me as i mic'd it and sure enough the rod journals are all tapered towards the cheek by almost a .001. Its worthless and not worth grinding to me.
Have it ground .010. I've bought new cranks @.010",.020".
Also have had new Scat, Eagle, Manley reground new out of the box. still saved money over a Callies

You may be surprised how far out some cranks are indexed on stroke per throw.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Badbugs3 just send it to me I’ll pay the shipping cost seeing how you are going junk it.