BBC dual 4 Barrel dual plane intake vs a Victor JR>

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Timm

BBC dual 4 Barrel dual plane intake vs a Victor JR>

Post by Timm »

Anybody done any testing with a BBC and dual carbs vs single plane racing manifold, I would love to run a dual carb setup on my racecar but don't want to give up the performance of the victor JR with a 1150 Dom, I'm only turning the engine to 6500RPM or so, its a 489 and a pretty light car.

I've got good hood clearance but a tunnel ram won't fit with air cleaners, to bad because I think this would be a great setup.
Your guys thoughts/help.
rally
Expert
Expert
Re: BBC dual 4 Barrel dual plane intake vs a Victor JR>

Post by rally »

Timm you are turning 6500 RPMs and running a 1150 Dom, to me you have way to big of a carb for your RPM range. I feel your engine would run quicker with a smaller carb, i would try that.
Timm

Post by Timm »

rally wrote:Timm you are turning 6500 RPMs and running a 1150 Dom, to me you have way to big of a carb for your RPM range. I feel your engine would run quicker with a smaller carb, i would try that.
I ran faster with a 1150 over a carb shop 780 (925CFM) on my smallblock 434 and it only turned 7500.
And I'm looking more for the look of dual 4s, just don't want to give up the performance.
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

Thats you small block right, i say you cant compare sb vs bb perforamnce with a carb. I know some racers love running to much of a carb, its just my experience with it. Anyhow i say try that combo you want to try, never know.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On a 6500 rpm BBC a Edelbrock Performer RPM high rise Dual Quad manifold and a couple Edelbrock 750 (1407) carbs will make very good power. Tune with various carb spacers for effect.

Google search : StormWarning altered wheel base Nova Joe Sherman Racing

google search : Dual Quad 409 Joe Sherman

for inspiration.

It would be interesting to see what this induction system can do on a healthy small block too.

Timm

Post by Timm »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:On a 6500 rpm BBC a Edelbrock Performer RPM high rise Dual Quad manifold and a couple Edelbrock 750 (1407) carbs will make very good power. Tune with various carb spacers for effect.

Google search : StormWarning altered wheel base Nova Joe Sherman Racing

google search : Dual Quad 409 Joe Sherman

for inspiration.
Joe Sherman, Mike Jones and the like all posting here is the reason I joined.
checking it out.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

If you are only running 6500 RPM, it will be very hard to see any improvement going to a better intake and carb setup. You would probably need some serious dyno time to find it even then.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

I have done some back to back on 2 - 4150 carbs on Tunnel ram vs 1150 on Brodix & Dart single plane intakes. This test was for 496 cu in engine in a jet boat application. (Not built for over 7,000) The results were similar high RPM power, but the tq curve was stronger around(a few hundred RPM both sides) peak Tq. Since the CFM's were very similar I concluded the runner length and plenum effect of the 2X4 made the difference. The boat turned quicker ET's with the 2x4's.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
Richard Till

Post by Richard Till »

this year on a 10 sec jet boat i went from one 1150 on a brodix intake to two quick fuel holley 1050`s on an edelbrock intake. on a hot 90 degree day i could run only a 10.15 e.t. @ 95-99 mph.. now i can easily run the number and break out on a cooler day with 9.80`s @ 103 mph. this is on a 496, brodix BB 2 plus heads, j/e pistons, bullit .757/.757 roller in a 265 # earl smith texas tunnel hull. #90 jets in all corners on both applications. 6550 rpms @ wot. i`m not looking back. :D
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Hello All,

Old thread, but has anyone run a dual quad air gap? I acquired a #7522 square port version, long discontinued. [oval port only now] I figured 750s or 800s.

Vizard wrote positively about them. A fellow at Edelbrock said that they really trounce the old 2x4 intakes. [C66?]

Thanks.
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

There was a good thread on here that I advised on where the poster dynodd his BBC both the low rise C66 and then the hi rise RPM air gap dual quad induction with both 600 and the 750 carbs AND with various carb spacers too for effect.
It made very good power in excess of 600++ hp.
Search for the thread using related key words.

Joe Sherman recomended the big carbs and using spacers when after big power on these hi rise dual quads.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

look here. Long thread read it all I thought that the poster could have made even more dyno tested horsepower with a bigger cam than the 260° ish cam he used. He did pretty good thou.. 600+++ hp.. 630 hp if memory serves.

The 750's or 800 eddies are best for this.
May need as much as 2-½" 3" of carb spacer for max effect.

viewtopic.php?t=23208
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Thanks, F-Bird,

Interesting thread. [the six pager] I've never liked the AFBs, but I do have a guy trying to chase my down a pair of 800s. I'd prefer AVS' though.

I sat two QJs on it, the front one normal, the rear one backward. They clear and have the same bolt pattern! Why do i think of goofy sh*t? LOL

Dave
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The only problem with the front and rear facing dual Qjets is fuel control on the rear on acceleration . The metering rod holes would get uncovered..
Ya the 800 AVS carbs have the most potential and the air door is adjustable. They may not bolt directly on that intake without a spacer as the 800 throttles are bigger than the 750 afb.. May need to relieve the edges of the plenum flanges a lil...
You also have the choice of running the 2 Eddy carbs on the Vic Jr using a dual carb to single adapter.
(BDS Blowers or old Weiand adapter pair #7160+#7161)
crazy🙈🙈👈.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

I like the idea of the divided spacers that you showed. They would allow fitting 800s w/o "ruining" the manifold itself.

Although, Mr. Gasket does not show them on their site. Mill out 4 hole.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.