Radical/Ground Breaking Builds ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nitro2
Vendor

Radical/Ground Breaking Builds ?

Post by nitro2 »

Anyone working on, or even contemplating, a radical or ground breaking or just way out there build ? Anything. Sorry.....getting tired of hearing about what cam to use in a 350 Chevy to run 11s lol, this is "Speed-Talk the home of racing's best and brightest".
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
gunt
Expert
Expert
Re: Radical/Ground Breaking Builds ?

Post by gunt »

Yup
i'm all for that too , even heavily modified rebuilds , like the ferrari thats here somewhere , or if anyone wants to share extreme development , even old stuff ,
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Not radical or ground breaking but maybe a bit out the norm.
I will start first, just to get it rolling :) . At least its not a cam for a 350. :lol:
Not in full building stage yet, still gathering parts and scrounging everywhere on info etc, but in the works, chevy inline six 230/250.
Haven't decided which one as i still need to get pistons later , but currently building intake and nose piece to run 4-71 blower, still checking up on which carbs to use, i have a choice of 3, a qjet that is modified to boost ref the power piston. Or a single 48idf or maybe 2 40idf's.
Its my first blower build so checking all over where i can for info and getting ideas for the belt drive. Space is limited so i collected some various gilmer drive pulleys to use (those kits that do the normal v-belt drive on sbc). Biggest or widest belt i can get in about 1¹/²".
Its a slow build for me as i'm also completing 2 other builds (1xcar and 1x pickup) but normal finishing assembly etc. Small jobs but time consuming.

Hope it suits your criteria :D .
Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

nitro2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:26 am Anyone working on, or even contemplating, a radical or ground breaking or just way out there build ? Anything. Sorry.....getting tired of hearing about what cam to use in a 350 Chevy to run 11s lol, this is "Speed-Talk the home of racing's best and brightest".
I think the days of people posting documented builds here are a thing of the past, I could say why I think that is but it would not change any thing.

Personally I questioned if I should even comment on this thread.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

let me tell you about cams for 350's................... :lol:
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

lefty o wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 am let me tell you about cams for 350's................... :lol:
But can it run 11's? :lol:

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

chevyfreak wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 am
lefty o wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 am let me tell you about cams for 350's................... :lol:
But can it run 11's? :lol:

Chevyfreak.
as a matter of fact.......... yes it can. 8)
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

About as radical as I'm going to get is add a Derringer to my 19 L5P. Always wanted a 500hp truck to pull the 5th wheel. 8)
Jim
liqu

Post by liqu »

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

nitro2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:26 am Anyone working on, or even contemplating, a radical or ground breaking or just way out there build ? Anything. Sorry.....getting tired of hearing about what cam to use in a 350 Chevy to run 11s lol, this is "Speed-Talk the home of racing's best and brightest".
I think the issue is that the craft has split into two groups:

1. Budget constrained projects built from garage left-overs.
2. Late model performance cars that are so well optimized that an individual or the performance aftermarket can't afford the R&D to improve on the OEM parts unless they change the operating requirements. For this segment there isn't enough left on the table to chase after, let alone the emission's modification laws and warrantee.

I don't think there is a home for anything new in the market.
The nitro teams that I spent some effort to help could not afford to risk their tune to try even something they thought would work.

A lot of smart people working on new battery ideas but not particularly for performance cars.
A battery break-through will be a game-changer for lot's of projects.

I have moved on to electric powered vehicles for my regular job, but still design some castings for people in the aftermarket.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

This might not qualify as radical or groundbreaking, but perhaps it might be interesting to some.

We have begun the engineering design process for a Porsche road race car; engine, suspension, custom ABS brakes,
aero, tires, gearing, and data logging.

The purpose is to optimize each performance area before construction, and then validate each aspect
with actual recorded data.

As such the data system is a bit overwhelming. Currently we plan over 150 data channels for the engine alone.
The aero, suspension, brake and tire sensors are another large mass of sensors.

And then, there is the data necessary to train the driver what to do to win every race.

While I cannot share specific information that the customer has paid a large fortune to obtain, I might be
able to discuss the type of information being collected and analyzed.

For example, the tires will have 16 infra-red temperature sensors reading across each tire, real time pressure
transmitters, and tire spring rate sensors. Vehicle aero data will use 24 pressure sensors, strategically
placed about the car. There are vibration sensors for suspension, drive line and engine.

We are having some difficulty asking the driver to accept a "pucker factor" sensor; perhaps that is because it
currently is only available in suppository form.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

I'm doing something somewhat different. I'm trying to go low 11s but without a cam. Trying to see how quick I can go with a Gen 2 LT1 5.7L with a stock 160k mile bottom end, stock compression, stock cam, stock heads, and stock intake manifold in a '93 Camaro. The AC, PS, and alternator are deleted with a 16v battery, electric water pump, ATI small aluminum shell damper, 52mm throttle body, ram air from bumper, 1.7 rockers, thicker pushrods, 1-3/4" longtubes (and will be messing with collector extensions), Sunoco EXO2 fuel, Moroso 7qt oil pan with 5.5 qts in it, 0w-8 oil, 130-140*F staged temp, crankcase evac, 9" high STR 4000 stall in a TH350, 4.10 gear, 28x9 M/T PBRs, etc...
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

RDY4WAR wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:18 pm I'm doing something somewhat different. I'm trying to go low 11s but without a cam. Trying to see how quick I can go with a Gen 2 LT1 5.7L with a stock 160k mile bottom end, stock compression, stock cam, stock heads, and stock intake manifold in a '93 Camaro. The AC, PS, and alternator are deleted with a 16v battery, electric water pump, ATI small aluminum shell damper, 52mm throttle body, ram air from bumper, 1.7 rockers, thicker pushrods, 1-3/4" longtubes (and will be messing with collector extensions), Sunoco EXO2 fuel, Moroso 7qt oil pan with 5.5 qts in it, 0w-8 oil, 130-140*F staged temp, crankcase evac, 9" high STR 4000 stall in a TH350, 4.10 gear, 28x9 M/T PBRs, etc...
Haha a good cam will blow you away and be tame.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

af2 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:34 pm
RDY4WAR wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:18 pm I'm doing something somewhat different. I'm trying to go low 11s but without a cam. Trying to see how quick I can go with a Gen 2 LT1 5.7L with a stock 160k mile bottom end, stock compression, stock cam, stock heads, and stock intake manifold in a '93 Camaro. The AC, PS, and alternator are deleted with a 16v battery, electric water pump, ATI small aluminum shell damper, 52mm throttle body, ram air from bumper, 1.7 rockers, thicker pushrods, 1-3/4" longtubes (and will be messing with collector extensions), Sunoco EXO2 fuel, Moroso 7qt oil pan with 5.5 qts in it, 0w-8 oil, 130-140*F staged temp, crankcase evac, 9" high STR 4000 stall in a TH350, 4.10 gear, 28x9 M/T PBRs, etc...
Of course. That's not the point.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

RDY4WAR wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:36 pm
af2 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:34 pm
Of course. That's not the point.
So what is? The only problem I see is the cam.

I know what you said Butttt :D
GURU is only a name.
Adam