General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Important Dyno Data - A Quiz

Post by Mike Laws »

Anyone up for a little fun?

Excelleration has a HUGE dyno test coming up later this week using one of their inertia engine dyno's. The name of the company that is bringing engine(s) and the series they race in is confidential; however it is OK for me to reveal the type of data that this company is most interested in analyzing.

I cannot reveal the actual numbers - only the type of data. ie: Torque, HP, RPM/Sec, fuel flow, bsfc, A/F, cylinder pressures, etc. It is this type of data that you should predict will be the most interesting to this company. Please provide your predictions before this Thursday, Jan. 10 @ 3PM. After the test has concluded; I will post the type of data in the order of importance to this company.

Here are a few details to help formulate your guesses.

Engine:

American made V8
Less than 500 C.I.
Single carburetor
Gasoline
Testing under 10,000 RPM

The winner gets to be called --- the winner! :lol:
Mike Laws Performance
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Re: Important Dyno Data - A Quiz

Post by OldSStroker »

Mike Laws wrote:Anyone up for a little fun?

Excelleration has a HUGE dyno test coming up later this week using one of their inertia engine dyno's. The name of the company that is bringing engine(s) and the series they race in is confidential; however it is OK for me to reveal the type of data that this company is most interested in analyzing.

I cannot reveal the actual numbers - only the type of data. ie: Torque, HP, RPM/Sec, fuel flow, bsfc, A/F, cylinder pressures, etc. It is this type of data that you should predict will be the most interesting to this company. Please provide your predictions before this Thursday, Jan. 10 @ 3PM. After the test has concluded; I will post the type of data in the order of importance to this company.

Here are a few details to help formulate your guesses.

Engine:

American made V8
Less than 500 C.I.
Single carburetor
Gasoline
Testing under 10,000 RPM

The winner gets to be called --- the winner! :lol:
Plate or open? :)
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

hi mike

id say ....fastest accelleration rate rpm/s
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I'll bite, I say RPM/sec as well and BSFC second. Was that the same dyno my SB2 was going on for that carb/FI shootout? 8) 8) 8)
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
RC Performance Engines

Post by RC Performance Engines »

PPH
RC PERFORMANCE ENGINES PTY LTD
PROFILER PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS AUSTRALIA
3/6 SLEAFORD ROAD
WINDSOR GNDS SA 5087
ADELAIDE SOUTH AUSTRALIA
PH 618 8266 4257 / 61 0419 400 289
http://www.rcperformanceengines.com.au/
http://www.profilerperformance.com
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

I do not know what the company's agenda will be, so I am an interested party as well. Once I learned of the session - several test types came to mind, however I won't know what is used until after the session is completed. After the test is completed - I will post all of the types in the order of importance.

It's more than fine for everyone to predict one or more test topics.

Mark: Yes, it is the same dyno and I am still working on coordinating a carb/fi test.
Mike Laws Performance
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

RayJE Carburetors wrote:id say ....fastest accelleration rate rpm/s
I'm with you on that one.

I'm not really sure what the question is asking here though, seems to be worded oddly.

Bret
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

On an inertia dyno, time from X RPM/speed to Y RPM/speed IS power.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

SStrokerAce wrote:
RayJE Carburetors wrote:id say ....fastest accelleration rate rpm/s
I'm with you on that one.

I'm not really sure what the question is asking here though, seems to be worded oddly.

Bret
Bret:

You're right - I did not do a good job of explaining this for some reason. Sorry about that! It is clear in my mind, but the delivery is poor. I'll try once more.

A company is going to dyno test at least one engine on a fairly-sophisticated inertia-style engine dyno this week. I have intimate knowledge of this dyno that simulates the operation of a racecar more closely than an absorber-style dyno is able; thus the data is different than that from an absorber style dyno.

This company has previously tested like engines on the most sophisticated and elaborate dyno's available. Those dyno's (and the inertia-dyno) offer multiple features to analyze. The list of features offered is nearly endless. From torque & power to individual cylinder pressures, to various flows, temp's etc...

There is a group of sharp individuals on this forum that enjoy learning about the latest technologies and also enjoy predicting outcomes.

When I learned of this upcoming test - my immediate thought was; "I wonder what types of data this company desires to analyze during the test-session, and what their priorities are". Upon realizing that this information was interesting to me - I thought it might be interesting to anyone on here, so I decided to offer it up as a quiz.

For example:

My guesses (in order of priority) would be:

1) Rates of Acceleration
2) Fuel Flow (during acceleration and deceleration)
3) Air Flow (during acceleration and deceleration)
4) Intake Vacuum
5) A/F Ratio
6) Individual A/F Ratios

I have the knowledge that all fluid temp's will be well-controlled and consistent; however if I did not have this knowledge - I would want to be able to see these temp's to ensure a consistent series of tests. These temp's would probably be at the top of my particular list.

Does this better explain the question?
Mike Laws Performance
vinmann
Post by vinmann »

I'll play.
I predict they are interested in:

1) Acceleration / deceleration - the change in RPM per degree of crankshaft rotation per (2) Torque load
3) Voltage at the plug for each spark occurrence
4) Exhaust flow
5) Exhaust temp
6) O2
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Post by Tuner »

Cylinder pressures
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

My highest priority would be time to accelerate from one given rpm to another. If it were a short-track engine say 5000-9500. If it was for longer tracks, say 6500-9500. This assumes the inertia load simulates the car running in top gear. Times should be very similar to on-track times if traction is not a problem.

If the engine were instrumented with pressure transducers in every combustion chamber as well as EGT, that data would be useful especially if the engine/dyno could be rolled and pitched to simulate on-track longitudinal and lateral acceleration. I'm looking to see if each cyclinder is making it's fair share of torque under simulated track conditions.

I would most definitely try to duplicate atmospheric conditions and liquid temps as seen on their race-shop dyno tests on that particular engine, but I suspect that is a given.

Jon
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
Ron Golden
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Golden »

Rate of Accel.
Individual A/F ratio's
Exh. temps

Ron
Motor Daddy
Pro
Pro

Post by Motor Daddy »

OldSStroker wrote:My highest priority would be time to accelerate from one given rpm to another.
You mean like this:

To me that is THE best measure of performance, time from RPM to RPM under actual load.

My next priority would be A/F ratio for each cylinder.

Next would be exhaust temp for each cylinder.
WAWA

Post by WAWA »

you mean it's not to finish the great "which is better, Carb's or F.I dedate" :wink: