Anyone else have consistency issues with Manley springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racing68
Pro
Pro
Anyone else have consistency issues with Manley springs

Post by Racing68 »

I just got an order of 3 different sets and the specs are all over, last year i had a batch of 156 springs of one part number those were the same way. The 156 had a range of 63 lbs high to low on seat pressure at installed height. One set this year is 35 lbs seat difference and coil bind clearance of .028-.100 at open, one set had two different part number springs in it. Most of the other sets i've ordered during the year were fine. Anyone else seeing this or am i just unlucky like normal.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Anyone else have consistency issues with Manley springs

Post by cgarb »

Sounds like Manley's quality control department needs to step up.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

What did they say when you asked them about it?

I used to use the 221424’s quite a bit....... then I started having them break, sometimes on combos where the heads had gotten freshened, and the old 221424’s that came off were fine.

With the replacements, when there were the broken ones........ the non-broken ones showed no real distress and still tested good.

Seems like AFR used that 221424 spring a lot on their BB heads for roller cams....... then they swapped to something else. I wondered if they started having issues as well.

In any case, 63lbs difference on the seat would be totally unacceptable. They’d go back.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 »

On the large order they said they would look into it and get back to me, never did, tried to follow up and was told likely it was from different batches on the shelf pulled to fill the order and there will be variances between each batch. I find it unlikely to be that much difference between each batch, i could see 20 or so but not 60+. I ended up using them dividing them up into matching sets, i had been waiting for 2 months for springs from PAC that kept getting pushed back and was at a deadline, didn't really have any other choice. Today i tried calling to see what was up with this latest order and was passed around from department to department for 15 minutes before i gave up, will try again tomorrow.
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

Manley doesn't make valve springs, they rebox, call them theirs, and obviously don't inspect them.

PAC and PSI do, of the two I've seen PAC's coil bind heights be .030"+ more than advertised, which can be hazardous to your wallet depending on your valve train combination.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I've seen PAC's coil bind heights be .030"+
Yes....... if you’re planning on running the PAC springs pretty close to coil bind......it’s best to check the actual C/B height for each spring, and adjust the installed height accordingly.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 »

Well the official answer for this time is "new guy in packing". New sets are on the way, we'll see if he's a quick learner or not.