Catch Cans

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

HS Nova
Expert
Expert
Catch Cans

Post by HS Nova »

I would really be interested in hearing your opinion on oil catch cans. I am debating if it is worth installing one in my 2015 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3L engine.
As some of you may know its a direct Injection engine.
Doing some reading and research people say its a good idea. But, if it were, why didn't the factory install them?
Anyone running one on a daily driver?
Thanks, HS
novadude
Guru
Guru

Re: Catch Cans

Post by novadude »

HS Nova wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:31 am
Doing some reading and research people say its a good idea. But, if it were, why didn't the factory install them?
Did a bunch of reading on this when I bought my Direct Injected 2016 Colorado. My personal opinion is that it is not necessary. The factory engineering these engines to go hundreds of thousands of miles. My presonal belief is that you probably get more oil coming through the valve guides than through the PCV system, being that GM probably spend a bit of time getting the baffles, etc designed properly.

I've got 66k miles on my truck and it still runs like new. Haven't really heard of oil coking being a major issue with GM DI engines.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

If it were the turbo one then yes but NA no. Every 50k or so run some gdi cleaner through the intake to help clear any deposits. I’m pulling heads on a gmc now due to valve sealing issues from carbon deposits. It’s got 178k it wasn’t as bad looking as some of the vw I’ve seen but enough that 8 intake valves will not seal. I’ve soaked and everything else they won’t seat up.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

put one on , its not just the new di but the new blend of fuels that vap off and come through the pcv valve also the new oils , but admittedly it is completely linked to driving styles , cheaper than if the worst happens , the dealers now all have small wallnut blasters and a hover for trying to do them in place with manifold removed , but if the engine runs di and intake runner injectors as some do these will clean it all up on wot runs