Cool can

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

smeg
Expert
Expert

Cool can

Post by smeg »

Can anyone here tell me if a cool can will work with methanol? I know it already cools the incoming air down but would cooling it more make more power?
j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Re: Cool can

Post by j-c-c »

I'll stick my toe in first, before others much more experienced can comment. Although it might add "slightly" to lower mixture temps, I suspect the reduction in atomization will out weight the cooler charge air temp benefits. I always thought the cool can was more of an outdated band aid for other fuel/tuning issues, in mostly carb applications. Related, wasn't it Porsche that raced with fuel heating components for awhile?
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I think it depends as said it can be a good band-aid for other possible issues.

For example I knew a guy with a mud truck who had his fuel cell in the bed baking in the sun

Or maybe someone with a fuel pump/system issue that puts heat into the fuel, over pumping running it long n so on.

On one car I checked with a temp gun and saw the pump n reg were hotter than the fuel bowls & intake.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

Forgot to add this is holley carb application. Has anyone tried this on a dyno?
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

smeg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:15 pm Forgot to add this is holley carb application. Has anyone tried this on a dyno?
engine master half assed tested fuel temps in one of their episodes. What they were actually doing was testing icing an intake but instead found theat their gains in HP were from cooling the carb/ fuel. They were running gas though. Ever since watching that episode I've been interested in the cool cans. I'm going to run E85 on my new engine build and contemplated the cool can similarly. Not sure if it would help with alcohol based fuel.

Season 4 episode 43
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

and i would have thought the same until i read a f1 article where they had to bring in a rule of max fuel temp as all the guys were deliberatly seriously heating the fuel and i know its not methanol
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

Ok thanks, maybe Larry M has tested this?
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I don't know if I'd compare what the F1 guys are doing to what most of us do. F1 has to conform to very strict rules regarding fuel mileage, and have been able to get the engine's thermal efficiency to over 50%. And I wouldn't be surprised if they found they could "fudge" the FIA's fuel flow sensor by heating the crap out of the fuel.
For the rest of us, cooling the fuel adds power, but sometimes not enough to be worth the hassle, and sometimes banned by rule.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

this was long before that , very early days
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

smeg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:15 pm Forgot to add this is holley carb application. Has anyone tried this on a dyno?
It will show clearer results in the vehicle
No negatives.