Shelf life of unopened synthetic "racing" engine oil?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert
Re: Shelf life of unopened synthetic "racing" engine oil?

Post by RDY4WAR »

This depends on the oil. Oils low in detergents or anti-oxidants, if not kept in a climate controlled environment, can oxidize and have the additive package separate from the base oil. Driven XP series, for example, should be recycled at ~4 years. Something like High Performance Lubricants HDEO, with a beefy detergent package and TBN of 14, could still be serviceable at 20 years. It won't be as good as new, but usable.

I personally wouldn't use an oil that's 10 years old. Even the expensive is oil cheap when you consider its role in the engine. I'd recycle it and get fresh oil.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Several years ago one of the warehouses I deal with started carrying a well known, respected brand of racing oil.

The warehouse rep was going around visiting shops and had the oil company rep with him.
No name dropping, but most on this board would know who he is.

Anyway....... the topic on shaking the oil bottle before dumping it in came up and his response was basically........ why wouldn’t you?
It was like that should be standard practice.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

PRH wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm Several years ago one of the warehouses I deal with started carrying a well known, respected brand of racing oil.

The warehouse rep was going around visiting shops and had the oil company rep with him.

Anyway....... the topic on shaking the oil bottle before dumping it in came up and his response was basically........ why wouldn’t you?
I think I know who you're talking about, and I've had lengthy discussions with him, going deep into chemistry jargon, about shaking the oil/additives and the conditions for suspension. I always shake the bottle before pouring it in.
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve K »

Honestly, Oil is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, I can think of no reason to bulk buy and have it sit on the shelf. The cost involved to build an engine and risk wrecking it by using old oil doesn't make any sense to me. Just my 2 cents
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:01 pm
PRH wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm Several years ago one of the warehouses I deal with started carrying a well known, respected brand of racing oil.

I think I know who you're talking about, and I've had lengthy discussions with him, going deep into chemistry jargon, about shaking the oil/additives and the conditions for suspension. I always shake the bottle before pouring it in.
Most of the oil additives are in solution, not suspension. If additive particles are in suspension, they will most likely be removed when passing through the oil filter.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Several years ago I bought over 90 qts. of oil from a local garage sale. Mostly Pennzoil with a couple other brands mixed in.

The sellers Dad had a small shop for decades and did a lot of work for local folks.

Most of this oil was 20 years old or more. I used it up on my daily drivers for another few years. Never saw any settling in the bottles.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Yes additives do settle out but you can with some minor effort get the oil back to being 100 percent usable.

Go to a store that mixes paint and by a a new empty gallon paint can or two depending on how much oil you need to use.
Once home pour you oil in the Gallon can and take back to the store and pay then to mix it on there shaker.
A 2 minute shake will be all it needs.
Bingo! Good oil once again!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Would sending random samples for VOA provide the info necessary to determine if the oil is still viable?

And just for clarification, the original plan wasn't to have the oil sitting around for so long. It certainly wasn't purchased at the time thinking it would give me a readily available supply 10+ years in the future.

David R - You bring up a good point about the additive pack being in solution, not suspension. Although it sounds like a quick fix to simply agitate the oil to re-blend everything, I recognize it's not the same thing.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:50 am Yes additives do settle out but you can with some minor effort get the oil back to being 100 percent usable.

Go to a store that mixes paint and by a a new empty gallon paint can or two depending on how much oil you need to use.
Once home pour you oil in the Gallon can and take back to the store and pay then to mix it on there shaker.
A 2 minute shake will be all it needs.
Bingo! Good oil once again!
You’ll aerate the oil.

Are you guys building like demo derby motors or what? :lol:
-Bob
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Well, not intentionally... :wink:
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

So your saying oil does not get airated in use, please!?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:02 pm So your saying oil does not get airated in use, please!?
it does, and if someone put it in a paint mixer, even that air would settle out of the oil after a short time.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

David Redszus wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 pm
RDY4WAR wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:01 pm

Most of the oil additives are in solution, not suspension. If additive particles are in suspension, they will most likely be removed when passing through the oil filter.
Not necessarily. An old friction modifier, MoS2, is a solid particle additive that's 0.5-1.0 um in size. Most full flow oil filters aren't going to be efficient that small. Some will inevitably be caught, but I'd think 70-80% would get through. It's pretty much only found in Liqui-Moly's supplement and isn't very efficient as reducing friction. Polymethylsiloxane, a solid particle anti-foaming agent, is still commonly used.

In suspension, in solution, yeah my terminology got away from me. You don't want it to fall out is the point.

The oil can oxidize in the jug. If you pour a little bit in a glass container, and it seems to have a cloudy appearance, it's oxidizing. I saw it recently from a certain high end, low detergent oil that was left in the elements for 4 years.

48407594_196711927947857_4677740729949224960_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

BradH wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:48 am Would sending random samples for VOA provide the info necessary to determine if the oil is still viable?

And just for clarification, the original plan wasn't to have the oil sitting around for so long. It certainly wasn't purchased at the time thinking it would give me a readily available supply 10+ years in the future.

David R - You bring up a good point about the additive pack being in solution, not suspension. Although it sounds like a quick fix to simply agitate the oil to re-blend everything, I recognize it's not the same thing.
If you were to do a VOA on it, you're best bet would be to send it to Polaris Labs (Amsoil) and request they run oxidation and nitration. However, it would be useless without a VOA of it fresh for comparison. The VOA may come back 50 abs/cm oxidation, but if the oil started with 40-50 abs/cm, then nothing has changed. It's good to go. Though uncommon, some oils do startout with high oxidation in FTIR (50-120 abs/cm). If the fresh oil was <20 abs/cm (common) and the current VOA shows >50 abs/cm, it's oxidized a good bit.

I guess to summarize, a VOA of a 10 year old unopened oil would be pretty much useless without a VOA of it fresh for comparison. Even then, you'd want both VOAs run in the same lab to the same parameters and calibration.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

BradH wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:09 pm I did some generic searching for "shelf life of synthetic motor oil", since I have more than a case of "good stuff" that's at least 10 years old sitting on the shelf in my climate-controlled basement. FWIW, I define "good stuff" as having cost me about $10 (or more) per quart.

Some manufacturers (Amsoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, ...) say five (5) years... which makes me suspect since they certainly would prefer consumers purchasing new product over not. :lol:

Some people have stated as long as it's not been opened nor exposed to extreme heat or cold that there's nothing to "go bad", other than there may be some additives that come out of suspension during extended storage. "Shake it up and pour it in!"

Any feedback or input on the subject is appreciated, given I'm not a tribologist.
Do you suspect the milk farmers put fake expiration dates on milk, too, so you'll buy more? Smfh. Jesus Christ.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING