Piston ring querie

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Piston ring querie

Post by AA Performance »

Ordered a ring set for a 4.430" bore and wanted file backs. Got sent ring set to suit 4.440 +.005 Pt # TS9190-195.
Will it conform proper to bore being .015" larger? Doesn't seem like the right ring size but they say its fine otherwise will need a custom ring set.
Will a light test be sufficient to check? Will be blown alcohol if it makes any difference. Really dont need anything that will cause excessive blo by especially with a pump working overtime.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Piston ring querie

Post by mag2555 »

Do the light test once you have one compression ring set to the gap you need to run, if it fails due to the ring going oval then snap a picture and send that and the rings back to who you got them from with a note stating that they no not what they talk about being ok.

In fact I light check all rings this way even if it’s a set of new rings I have used and run many times before part number wise.

You’ed be surprised the screw ups this can save you from and is more then well worth the 25 extra minutes it takes in terms of a V8 motor!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

How much do the ring ends overlap in the bore?
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Nut124 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:01 am How much do the ring ends overlap in the bore?
Haven't even opened the box as i queried them on the size as soon as I got them. How do you measure overlap accurately?
Does Keith from total seal come on this site?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

AA Performance wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:27 ambut they say its fine
Who is "they" ?? If that is what Total Seal said then I would feel completely comfortable with it.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Put the ring in the bore, letting ends overlap. Square with an old piston. Use a dial caliper or eyeball to assess the amount of overlap.

I bought oversize rings from TotalSeal as well. I think I spoke w Kevin.

I think mine were nominally for 0.010 oversize bore as well, in a smaller, 84mm bore. Steel top ring.

My notes say that in the bore the ends were butting, zero gap, or just the slightest of overlap (a few thou). I had to file less than 0.020 to get 0.014 gap.

I have had no indication of problems running them.

If the overlap is 0.040+ I might be concerned. Just my uneducated opinion.

I would put them in the bore and see what it is.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Put one top ring in bore and as best as I can see, it looks to verlap mayby .025" - .030". If it was OK then why make rings for every .010" of bore? A .030" ring set should fit a .020" bore and so on. They would only need to stock half the amount of ring sets.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

AA Performance wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:27 am Ordered a ring set for a 4.430" bore and wanted file backs. Got sent ring set to suit 4.440 +.005 Pt # TS9190-195.
Why would they send you .005-over rings for a bore that's already .010-over the size you need?