rpm-act

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: rpm-act

Post by CamKing »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:02 pm If you want to be politically active, it’s wise to understand what it is that is being legislated, by whom, what their angle is, and not just blindly repeat things you see on social media.
It's actually very straight forward.
The EPA believes the Clean Air act prohibits any production car to be modified for racing, even if it's only used on a race track.
This is an interpretation of the Clean Air act, that some don't agree with.

The RPM-Act would clarify that, by exempting "non-street legal" vehicles that will be used for racing only.

Here's the actual RPM-Act. so everyone can read it. It was introduced in 2019, to a Democratic run House.
H. R. 5434

To amend the Clean Air Act to provide an exemption from certain antitampering provisions for certain actions for modifying a motor vehicle that is not legal for operation on a street or highway and is to be used solely for competition, and for other purposes.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
December 16, 2019

Mr. McHenry (for himself, Mr. Ruiz, Mr. Hudson, Mr. Schrader, Mr. Posey, Mr. Cisneros, and Mr. Burgess) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce
A BILL

To amend the Clean Air Act to provide an exemption from certain antitampering provisions for certain actions for modifying a motor vehicle that is not legal for operation on a street or highway and is to be used solely for competition, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. Short title.

This Act may be cited as the “Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2019” or the “RPM Act of 2019”.

SEC. 2. Exemption from antitampering provisions.

Section 203(a) of the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)) is amended by adding at the end the following: “No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if the action is for the purpose of modifying a motor vehicle into a vehicle that is not legal for operation on a street or highway and is to be used solely for competition.”.

SEC. 3. Regulation.

Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall finalize a regulation to implement the amendment made by this Act.

SEC. 4. Effective date.

Section 2 shall take effect not later than one year after the date of enactment of this Act without regard to whether a final regulation has been promulgated as required by section 3.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Ok, so, as I read it, it doesn't effect any existing laws, on the books now. It just keeps the government from making it illegal to modify a production vehicle to compete in racing events and other unspecified uses?

Regarding CA's. I was once a CA, I was born and raised in SoCal. The City of Orange, is my home town and I grew up in the rural areas around it. I street raced from the time I got my license (1960), until now. I left SoCal, in '76 and tried to stay in CA, moving to extreme NorCal, then finally to OR in '86.

To me, happiness is worth much more than money. I thought CA was bad in the years between '76 & '86 but, it's got much worse, since then, in almost all respects. Even my son and daughter have moved.

Cars, here in OR are exempt for emissions, if they are more than 20 years old. Gives you a lot to work with.

For protection from the CA environment, I suggest voting with your feet.

Sorry, hard not to get political, in a political thread :(
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

frnkeore wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm Ok, so, as I read it, it doesn't effect any existing laws, on the books now.
Actually it does. It amends the Clean Air act.
There is some gray area in the existing Clean Air act. The EPA believes the Clean Air act says that no car can be altered, not even cars that only race on tracks, and are not legal to drive on the street. Others say, that's a misinterpretation. Rather then letting the courts decide, this would clarify the Clean Air act.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Caprimaniac wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:50 am RPm -act in Europe, Belgian? Something new the EU is trying to pull through?

I have read about the rpm- act in the US, several threads in different forums. But can’t remember hearing about it over here in Europe.
No, I just read some guys here saying that the US was going the same route as the EU has gone with things like that.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

I developed the only CARB legal short block in the industry. In 15 years I think I sold about three.

Racers don't care about laws.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Many years ago in Missouri, our car club picked up a rumor that the DNR was going to start a crush program for old cars. It was about the time emission testing began in Missouri. We wrote our congressmen, mailed flyers, and we got it stopped. I know because I attended a conference and the DNR guys were talking about these crazy car clubs giving them grief. So laws and policy can be changed if people stick together, and use the political process.

On the comments about the hell with safety I just want to be free, I really don't understand, because the biggest threats to our safety from environmental concerns don't usually come from individuals, but mostly from big corporations, and even the government itself. Look at nuclear testing, for example. Individuals have a very hard time fighting a big corporation, and while the government has the power, more often the corporation just buys off the government representatives and continues with what they want to do anyway. Being free does not mean freedom from responsibility of how your actions affect others. And being free does not mean people with enough money can do what the hell ever they want either.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

rebelrouser wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:16 pm Many years ago in Missouri, our car club picked up a rumor that the DNR was going to start a crush program for old cars. It was about the time emission testing began in Missouri. We wrote our congressmen, mailed flyers, and we got it stopped. I know because I attended a conference and the DNR guys were talking about these crazy car clubs giving them grief. So laws and policy can be changed if people stick together, and use the political process.

On the comments about the hell with safety I just want to be free, I really don't understand, because the biggest threats to our safety from environmental concerns don't usually come from individuals, but mostly from big corporations, and even the government itself. Look at nuclear testing, for example. Individuals have a very hard time fighting a big corporation, and while the government has the power, more often the corporation just buys off the government representatives and continues with what they want to do anyway. Being free does not mean freedom from responsibility of how your actions affect others. And being free does not mean people with enough money can do what the hell ever they want either.
Not what I was saying at all. [-X
Last edited by Chris_Hamilton on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Then don't modify an emissions-certified engine. Remove it and install a dedicated race engine that was never EPA certified. Then they can't get you for anything like tampering with emissions systems or removing them.

Seems like a simple solution to a problem that's been around for 30+ years

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/21 ... freaks-out
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:31 pm Then don't modify an emissions-certified engine. Remove it and install a dedicated race engine that was never EPA certified. Then they can't get you for anything like tampering with emissions systems or removing them.

The problem with that is the EPA views the engine and car it is in as a whole not as individual components. Using a dedicated race engine in a (once) road going car is just as illegal as modifying the original engine in the eyes of the EPA.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:31 pm Then don't modify an emissions-certified engine. Remove it and install a dedicated race engine that was never EPA certified. Then they can't get you for anything like tampering with emissions systems or removing them.

The problem with that is the EPA views the engine and car it is in as a whole not as individual components. Using a dedicated race engine in a (once) road going car is just as illegal as modifying the original engine in the eyes of the EPA.
Exactly.
According to the EPA's interpretation of the Clean Air act, if you went to a junk yard and bought a parted out Miata, and put a race engine in it, to road race, you would be breaking the law.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

What happened to my posted reply?

Upon reflection I see that the inflammatory comments have been removed en masse. Just as well.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

CamKing wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Exactly.
According to the EPA's interpretation of the Clean Air act, if you went to a junk yard and bought a parted out Miata, and put a race engine in it, to road race, you would be breaking the law.
I agree 100% with your interpretation of the issue, and what the RPM ACT will resolve.

What I do not understand, is basically two things, why has there been nearly zero progress on this now nearly 4 year pending solution, and why racers here are not more concerned with potentially and perfectly legally getting their modified cars confiscated, maybe crushed, and face heavy fines?
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Received today as PRI email newsflash:

"The U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona, while acknowledging the fundamental issue raised by PRI, has declined to make a ruling in the lawsuit between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Gear Box Z. Inc. (GBZ). While pursuing GBZ for tampering allegations, the EPA made statements in its court filings that the Clean Air Act (CAA) does not allow a motor vehicle to be converted into a racing vehicle used solely for competition and that equipment installed to make the conversion is illegal. PRI has challenged this flawed interpretation of the CAA first made by the EPA in 2015 and now repeated in the court filing.

The Court has ruled that the EPA produced evidence that the subject products sold by GBZ were being used on highway vehicles, with no evidence of use on motorsports vehicles. Therefore, lacking evidence of the converting of road vehicles to dedicated race cars, which would have necessitated the Court address the issue, the Court declined to rule on whether the CAA disallows conversions of street vehicles to dedicated racing machines.

While not settling the street-to-race car conversion issue, PRI’s filing of the amicus brief was impactful for several reasons. First, it demonstrates the need for the U.S. Congress to enact the “Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act” (RPM Act), bi-partisan legislation to clarify that it is legal to make such conversions and to produce, market and install racing equipment. Second, the Court’s opinion did offer some favorable language with the Court confirming that it is the EPA’s burden to produce evidence that emissions-related equipment is being used illegally on highway vehicles when making such a claim.

PRI will continue to work tirelessly to settle the EPA’s overreach by passing the RPM Act."
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Brent an ex NASCAR driver turned tuner & youtuber just got hit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsX5c1A9_ls
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!