Notched lifter Bores

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Notched lifter Bores

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Does notched lifter bores also help provide more oil going to the wheel and roller bearing in a roller lifter?
How effective is this at extending the service life of
moderate "street strip" application "street roller" solid roller cam setups.. (And hydraulic roller too)

True moderate Street Roller stuff, not hardcore max race application stuff.
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Re: Notched lifter Bores

Post by nhrastocker »

It depends on the brand of the lifter. There are lifters that have provisions to force oil into the roller or bushing.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

nhrastocker wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm It depends on the brand of the lifter. There are lifters that have provisions to force oil into the roller or bushing.
Reference:
Notching the lifter bores to gain oiling of the wheel and roller bearing using roller lifters that do not have direct oiling.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

I was contemplating this on a Gen3 Hemi until I received my replacement lifters. They now have metered oil flow to the wheel.

I was about to build a fixture to file a groove from the lifters side, into the corner of the wheel opening...
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

miniv8 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm I was contemplating this on a Gen3 Hemi until I received my replacement lifters. They now have metered oil flow to the wheel.

I was about to build a fixture to file a groove from the lifters side, into the corner of the wheel opening...
I would re- think filing a groove in the lifter body at the corner of the wheel opening... Bad spot.. stress point.
Better spot a lil further in on the flat of the wheel opening roof. It should still get oil where yiu want it to go.
Avoid the corner IMHO. De burr and polish edges of your cut groove.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 am Does notched lifter bores also help provide more oil going to the wheel and roller bearing in a roller lifter?
moderate "street strip" application "street roller" solid roller cam setups.. (And hydraulic roller too)

No.
I have several types of lifter bore grooving tools that have been available over the years and for the most part they were designed for flat tappet lifters.
You can turn them side ways in the bores but its going to spray the oil straight down towards the pan.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 am Does notched lifter bores also help provide more oil going to the wheel and roller bearing in a roller lifter?

Based on the direction the wheel turns I would think you would want to groove the opposite side that you would for flat tappet so the wheel could draw the oil into the axle. If that makes since.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The concept is a good idea & works. But notching cast iron is not a good idea. A much better idea is to groove the lifter. I have been doing this for about 30 yrs. Use a Dremel with a 0.020-0.025" cut off wheel, go about 0.010-0.015" deep. Not critical. Roller or FT lifter. If FT, go to within 1/8" of the base, starting at the oil groove.