Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

HS Nova
Expert
Expert
Re: Where in the US?

Post by HS Nova »

Please do not come to California. We are full. Thank you.

Just kidding (not really), I wouldn't want to live anywhere else as far as the car hobby.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:43 am Hi Guys,

I kinda got sick and tired with my country and the EU for a number of reasons.
I'm 51 years old now and have build up enough wealth during my life of hard working to be able to buy a second home. My intention has always been to move out of here as the problems here are already present a since a long time and only seem to be growing.
I'm first going to travel around the world which places suit me best. Not that Europe doesn't have nice place, but it remains Europe, which I want to avoid.
Being a car enthusiast/lover and a fan of modifying cars, how about the gold old US? Is there a place to life which is great, isn't too restrictive as far as the gov goes, and where you don't freeze your butt off in winter or burn your butt away in summer?
I'm not a fan of big cities as I now also live on the country side. In fact, rural is more preferred as my wife ride horses and we keep a number of them here.

Could be that I'm mistaken in the US, so if that is the case, please tell me as well.

Thanks.
From an "on-looker's" view ... Oklahoma or Kansas, maybe Arkansas ... they probably fit with your priorities however, it does get cold there once in a while.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:47 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:43 am Hi Guys,

I kinda got sick and tired with my country and the EU for a number of reasons.
I'm 51 years old now and have build up enough wealth during my life of hard working to be able to buy a second home. My intention has always been to move out of here as the problems here are already present a since a long time and only seem to be growing.
I'm first going to travel around the world which places suit me best. Not that Europe doesn't have nice place, but it remains Europe, which I want to avoid.
Being a car enthusiast/lover and a fan of modifying cars, how about the gold old US? Is there a place to life which is great, isn't too restrictive as far as the gov goes, and where you don't freeze your butt off in winter or burn your butt away in summer?
I'm not a fan of big cities as I now also live on the country side. In fact, rural is more preferred as my wife ride horses and we keep a number of them here.

Could be that I'm mistaken in the US, so if that is the case, please tell me as well.

Thanks.
From an "on-looker's" view ... Oklahoma or Kansas, maybe Arkansas ... they probably fit with your priorities however, it does get cold there once in a while.
Yes, that's what I understood and in the summer a couple of tornado's as well.

Also we might face some difficulties to stay there for retirement reasons. Can presume the US has some strict laws in place for that.
Not that I need anything from the state (God forbid) but they are probably difficult nonetheless.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:47 pm
Yes, that's what I understood and in the summer a couple of tornado's as well.

Also we might face some difficulties to stay there for retirement reasons. Can presume the US has some strict laws in place for that.
Not that I need anything from the state (God forbid) but they are probably difficult nonetheless.
As long as the immigration is done legally, (which is not easy these days), most states have no specific retirement restrictions.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
compguy

Post by compguy »

My vote would be North East Texas, anywhere around Fort Worth/Dallas but rural areas. Beautiful country side, very welcoming people, drag strips a plenty, weather is good, economy great, cheap real estate, food excellent, what more can you ask for? Someone mentioned North Carolina, dont know about that but sounds nice too.
You might have to put down half a million first and have it tied up for 2 to 4 years with a government specified private business if you want to come over now, or put in for it and wait at least 5 years or more. You need to do your due diligence about immigrating, get a local immigration lawyer near where your wanting to live in the US to guide you.
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

I can't tell you where to relocate in the USA long term, but I can tell you where not to go, Oregon! I was raised here, and thought I would retire here but its turned into California North, in both restrictions, politics and economy. I found this thread today as I was thinking about moving somewhere lower Midwest myself possible as soon as this summer. Everyone here says, "but the tornados!" I don't know much about those, but Oregon has bad wildfires mostly caused by mismanaged forests, including one just a few miles from my house last year that took out some small towns in a few hours.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Consider the Texas hill country (stay clear of Austin and surrounds, though). Also consider the East Texas piney woods area close to the Davey Crockett National Forest. You will surely find the place, the natural beauty, the peace and the freedom you are looking for.

No state income tax here in Texas and once we have regime change for the better in Washington, the economy will take off like a rocket again, as well.

East Texas will put you close to Louisiana where my Step-dad grew up and quite a few French and Creole French speaking Acadiens who came there from Canada in the 1750s - 1780s. This was called le grand derangement and I must warn you to be careful to whom you bring it up and how. Tread lightly there, for there are many who have hard feelings about this as if it were only yesterday.

Don't expect the best chocolate here, though. Too much sugar, too much milk, too little cacao. You will need to educate the locals on that. :shock:

Bonne chance avec votre quete,

Harry
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

You prob want a state w/o vehicle inspection, an area that doesn't flood, have hurricanes, tornados, yearly fires, earthquakes, good roads(upkeep and driving), ok taxes, low crime, salted roads. Also not a blue state that has a dictator type governor like Michigan
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Just to give you an idea of what is happening: the EU mandated a GPS and camera system on cars from 2022 onwards which enforces the speed limits on the driver. If you go over one speed limit it's registred on a black box and you get an ever increasing annoying 'beep'.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Belgian1979 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 pm Just to give you an idea of what is happening: the EU mandated a GPS and camera system on cars from 2022 onwards which enforces the speed limits on the driver. If you go over one speed limit it's registred on a black box and you get an ever increasing annoying 'beep'.
Well that sucks. There may be a lot of car enthusiast who can afford leaving then or figuring out a way to defeat/trick/hax the black box. I'm sure those who can afford supercars will just get a special version or w/e
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 pm Just to give you an idea of what is happening: the EU mandated a GPS and camera system on cars from 2022 onwards which enforces the speed limits on the driver. If you go over one speed limit it's registred on a black box and you get an ever increasing annoying 'beep'.
:wink: No worries! You have options. Either......

1. Move to America.

2. Rise up and throw the globalists and EU out of your home country.

3. Buy a couple of new 2021 cars without it and make them last as long as you do.

4. Remove offending 'black box' electronic eavesdropper from car. Set it on fence post. Stand 20 paces back and blast it all to hell with personal carry handgun of no less than .44 calibre chambering.

5. If globalists have disarmed the general populous there...... Set 'black box' on tree stump and 'adjust settings' with 10-lb. sledgehammer or wood axe. Wear eye protection and be careful of toes. Then move to America.

:D Happy to be of assistance,

Harry
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Ah yes Harry, i have used those corrections on electronic devices in the past!

Have put a tek screw through a phone and placed it gently on the suppliers counter. Mind you, i'm not that easily upset these days.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Understood! Done my share. When I was just back Stateside from Nam in '67 and for quite a while after, there was a lot going on just below the surface. Took me a while to transition from cracking the sh*ts to cracking a tinnie. Now of days at 73, I find a 20 oz. Red Bull has a calming effect. But its still nice to just cut loose and vent steam from time to time. :wink:

Best regards,

Harry
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

\:D/ No school like old school! Outstanding idea, Kevin! A form of electromagnetic encapsulation or containment, so to speak!

Not nearly the unbridaled and instant visceral gratification experienced when employing the more destructive solutions to be sure...... But quite effective, no doubt.

:D I'm digging it,

Harry