Need parts for a Marquette distributor tester

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

Super_Stock

Need parts for a Marquette distributor tester

Post by Super_Stock »

Hi all, I've got one of these testers but I don't have the degree wheel part or the chuck that goes in the center of it. I know it's a long shot but would anyone be parting one of these out?
Or if you have one, could you take some pics and measurements for me so I could fabricate one?
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Re: Need parts for a Marquette distributor tester

Post by maxracesoftware »

your looks similar to mine , except mine is dark-red color outside/gold-color on board ( yours silver metal )
mine still works , not willing to sell or part-out

what dimensions/specs do you want ?

if my Wife didn't throw away the Manual , i should still have it in a container or in my Shop somewhere ??
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Thanks Larry.
The picture I posted was just one I found on the net that looked like mine. Mine is silver with the black case.
I'll get mine out today and take some pictures of it and what I need to have measured and pictures of.
I guess yours would look like this one I've posted below.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

year 2001 old camera , i have much higher quality pics on my other computer

has homemade Spark Plug Load Board ( adjustable spark plug gaps ... changes Load , near 0.150" Gaps seem to match real-world results )
accurate enough to real-world to within a +- few hundred RPM
have a few very old Videos of operation with MSD Box multiple sparks/sound with lights turned off in room , and with lights on
but on old Win98 Computer , need to transfer them .
Can also switch from 6 volts to 12 volts or higher than 12v
Marquette_Dist_Tester.jpg
MaxRace Software
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Hi Larry,
I finally got around to dragging out what I have and taking some pics of it. It's missing a few parts, like the Vac pump and gauge plus obviously the degree wheel. I can sort out the pump and gauge, that's no problem, but what I really need to know is how that degree wheel is made up.
Maybe some closer pics of it from the top and underside,as well as its size, thickness etc, so I can machine one up. It also has what looks like a magnetic pickup under the degree wheel, so some pics and dimensions of the rotor that signals it would also be great.
I'm not worried about the chuck that holds the dizzy shaft as I can make one for each application or find some sort of chuck that will do the job.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
underhead valve

Post by underhead valve »

the disc is a little larger than the outside of the neon tube, has 2 arrows, one small, one large, large arrow has solid center so it will show different than small arrow. degree ring is plastic and goes over top ,just a little smaller opening than the outer diameter of the neon tube. There are no signs of something screwed to the disc for hall effect? pickup, there is a hub that is rigid, it has a rubber piece in it to allow movement of the chuck.
Does the neon tube flash?. does the speed control work?, mine the speed control is getting erratic at low speeds, probably going to have to replace some capacitors
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Hi, thanks for the reply,
I have not tested the tube or speed control. First I need to see if I can sort out the hard parts to complete it. You can see in the second picture the hall effect pickup on the left between the motor spindle and flash tube. I guess that's for rpm. I could just make a rotor, spin it at a known rpm and then see what the output is.I could then work out how many teeth it needs.

Thanks for the info, if you also had a few pictures, then that would also be very helpful.
Cheers.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

underhead valve wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:44 am Does the neon tube flash?. does the speed control work?, mine the speed control is getting erratic at low speeds, probably going to have to replace some capacitors
I tested it today, the tube flashes, I replaced the speed control in mine with an SSR. The vac pump and gauge had also been removed from it at one point. I've got some ideas in making the degree ring and pointer plate. I'll post some pics of how it's progressing. Thanks again for the approximate sizing of the parts.
Rodens

Post by Rodens »

I have ones of these.
There is an L bracket attached to the spinning plate that runs through the middle of the RPM sensor.
Not sure that its hall effect, the L shaped bracket does not look like a magnet, seems to be more like cutting a beam - IR maybe
On the top rotating plate is a small L shaped bracket that is attached with small nuts and bolts that cuts the beam (I presume) it runs through the middle, I think it works more like a door entry beam - but I'm no expert on electronics.
The plate itself is very thin, thought it was just steel plate until I sat a magnet on it and it slid right off. It looks and feels like spring steel.
The surround with degrees looks like bakelite, but probably just plastic. You can slide it around to get the starting position of the flash - the flash of course can be seen through the spinning wheel. It also has the same starting positions around the sliding wheel for 4, 6 and 8 cylinders, so in theory, you should be able to get the flash for each opening of the distributor. I dont really understand the difference between the large main cutout on the wheel and the smaller ones.
Have not found a manual as yet.
My unit had been modified, could not set the RPM gauge, so changed the pot and now that works.
The needle on the RPM gauge was erratic, changed the capacitor which worked, but still has a slight jump down low.
If you could add 4 of those L brackets, the gauge needle would be more consistent, but then you would need to modify the circuit so that it cuts the revs by 4, otherwise the 4 brackets would trigger the RPM and show 4 times the speed.
The Sun apparently has 4 triggers to overcome this the needle jumping.
I'm also missing the flash tube - they replaced it with a timing light - which is a bit clunky.
If you have any detail on the tube, part number etc, I'd appreciate getting that info. I'm thinking its a halogen or Xenon lamp.
At the moment I'm in the process of updating with a hall effect digital tacho, like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Digital-LE ... /112465986
And conversion to LED lights based on this Sun conversion kit:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... n.1059098/
If you need anything else, let me know.
Below is a picture of that L bracket.
trigger.jpg
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Cool, thanks for that info and picture. I've got a manual for mine, just remembered I had it.. LOL.. I'll scan it and post it with some pics of what I've done so far.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Super_Stock wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:31 pm Cool, thanks for that info and picture. I've got a manual for mine, just remembered I had it.. LOL.. I'll scan it and post it with some pics of what I've done so far.
i finally moving enough stuff out the way to take new pictures
and i need to turn it on and checkout if everything still works ??

installed Barina 8 Ft LED 6500K + 4 Ft 6000K Daylight bulbs everywhere in my Shop
Pics should come out nicely .
MaxRace Software
Rodens

Post by Rodens »

maxracesoftware wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:52 am has homemade Spark Plug Load Board ( adjustable spark plug gaps ... changes Load , near 0.150" Gaps seem to match real-world results )
accurate enough to real-world to within a +- few hundred RPM
That's a neat setup. Interested to know the purpose of the Spark Plug Load Board. Is this to see what that largest gap that can be achieved?
Or does it put more of a load on the coil?
How do you adjust the spark plug gaps?
maxracesoftware
Vendor

That's a neat setup. Interested to know the purpose of the Spark Plug Load Board. Is this to see what that largest gap that can be achieved?
Or does it put more of a load on the coil?
How do you adjust the spark plug gaps?
spark plug gaps are adjustable on my homemade Load board by locking nut on a set screw, hard to see in the Pic .
i need to make sure my memory is correct on my gaps = 0.150" simulates a 0.032-0.035" Spark Plug Gap in real-world

i could adjust input voltage with combinations of switching between 6 and 12 volts on a resistor
along with changing the Battery Charger's 6 or 12 volts , plus greater or lesser Amps output .

i originally purchased a Marquette Scope at same time as Marquette Scope ,
so both together gave me a lot of info in 1970's upwards .

i kept the Marquette Scope for about a year after i purchased the SF-901 Dyno ,
then sold to a friend who opened a new Automotive Shop , i didn't really need the Scope anymore because of the Dyno .

here's how i correlated the Spark Plug Load Board ,
i'd have a Customer's engine on the Dyno , and his ignition would cutout at certain RPM point upwards ,
i would remove his distributor and hookup his entire ignition system on the Marquette Distributor machine
and adjust the Board's spark plug gaps until it cutout at same RPM point as on the Dyno ,
and after doing this on 5 or 6 different Engines , the Board's spark gaps ended up in same air gap range ,
at least for that era in late 1980's upwards for Points type distributors .

Marquette Distributor machine + Dyno easily caught some defective Mallory Unilite kit conversions
that had the plastic shutter wheel egg-out and cause some Cylinders to fire way advanced and caused detonation ,
killed 2 Ford SBF engines because of that .
MaxRace Software
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Well, I've got everything sorted now on the machine. I've made the spinner plate and the protractor ring plus a few other things. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
I'm a attaching a web page from the now defunct King distributor machine makers in California who built an updated version of this machine, but some of the information on the page is useful with the older machines.
Last edited by Super_Stock on Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Here are the scans from the manual I have. It's 10 meg so I will have to split it up.