Offenhauser intake manifolds

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Offenhauser intake manifolds

Post by travis »

I’m curious if any of the Offy street manifolds are any good…especially considering that the finish on them is pretty rough and they cost considerably more than any known decent street type manifolds from weiand or edelbrock. Certain intakes like their 300 I6 ford manifolds seem pretty popular but then again when you don’t have much choice…
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Offenhauser intake manifolds

Post by mag2555 »

When was the last time if at all you saw a motor running one of these that impressed you?

I know, I came up with zero also!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:53 am When was the last time if at all you saw a motor running one of these that impressed you?

The ONLY thing I have ever seen an Offy intake on was old stuff at car shows…flatheads, early olds, Buick nail heads, etc. I don’t remember ever riding in anything with an Offy on it except for a 300 Ford. Maybe there’s a reason for that?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I had one of their "360" manifolds on my Small Block Chevelle a looooong ( 1973 or so ?) time ago and it worked fine for a street engine. I switched to an Edelbrock when I went from the Q-jet to a Holley.

I would bet that in 99% or street engines most guys would never be able to feel a difference between any of the popular intakes on the same engine.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

BillK wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 am
I would bet that in 99% or street engines most guys would never be able to feel a difference between any of the popular intakes on the same engine.
Agree 100%.

Off topic, but I also believe that the latest "air gap" dual plane trend is not a good idea for a street engine. Might make better dyno numbers, but I think a little manifold heat is a good thing for part throttle street driving. I see plenty of people swapping performer / performer RPM type manifolds for air-gap types, and to me it seems like money wasted for the very slight power gains. The trade-off of giving up manifold heat doesn't seem worth it for something that is at part throttle 98% of the time.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:53 am When was the last time if at all you saw a motor running one of these that impressed you?

You have to agree the dual QJet intakes are impressive. :D
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

I remember seeing an article somewhere years ago where a guy did some cutting and welding and put 4 Q jets on one intake. Looked interesting.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

This?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

Yeah that's it.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

af2 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 amThis?
I don't care, that frickin setup is cool. :mrgreen:
bthomas

Post by bthomas »

I’ll be using one, although it’s not a run of the mill 4bbl intake. Crossram setup with Holley efi. I have a 67 camaro and wanted the trans am look.

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

novadude wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:46 amOff topic, but I also believe that the latest "air gap" dual plane trend is not a good idea for a street engine. Might make better dyno numbers, but I think a little manifold heat is a good thing for part throttle street driving. I see plenty of people swapping performer / performer RPM type manifolds for air-gap types, and to me it seems like money wasted for the very slight power gains. The trade-off of giving up manifold heat doesn't seem worth it for something that is at part throttle 98% of the time.
The desirability of manifold heat is location and seasonally based. It's necessary for winter use, especially in the northern tier. For above forty degrees and/or in the dry intermountain west, it's not necessary. For those builds to the ragged edge of pump gas, manifold heat on a 100-degree day will put some into the danger zone.

FWIW, I've cured some summertime pinging problems by blocking off manifold heat and adding an outside air intake. Still can't believe the numbnuts who build for 600hp and then put that abomination of a little purple K&N cone right behind the radiator.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

bthomas wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:05 pm I’ll be using one, although it’s not a run of the mill 4bbl intake. Crossram setup with Holley efi. I have a 67 camaro and wanted the trans am look.

A few years ago I had one of those manifolds here and was thinking it would be neat to use the Holley carbs as air valves only and hide the injectors somehow under the manifold. Never got around to fooling with it and ended up selling the intake.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

BillK wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pmA few years ago I had one of those manifolds here and was thinking it would be neat to use the Holley carbs as air valves only and hide the injectors somehow under the manifold. Never got around to fooling with it and ended up selling the intake.
Bill, in 1962, Bo Fields of Mud Creek, AL, was my mentor; he hid a distribution block and an eight tube spider under a SBC intake and hollowed out a Rochester 4GC. It was essentially a Hilborn which at first look appeared to be a stock 4-bbl. Since it was race-only, idle was not a consideration and it worked at WOT, but the dual-plane intake had too many problems with camshaft overlap. The old Chet Herbert rollers which worked best with IR Hilborn/Enderle injection, were something like 320-degree advertised duration.

Speaking of which, was anything ever noisier than the Herbert roller alignment system? It was length of key stock running down each oil gallery with a rectangular slot through each lifter.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I am gonna make a guess here that none of you have ever built and ran a carbureted small block Mopar Super Stock engine with a modified Port-O-Sonic.

For Dominator proponents; the small block Chevy "Super-Sonic" was a pretty good manifold, too.

Their "Turbo-Thrust" tunnel rams work well, also.

Not many STREET manifolds, though.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.