Repair a cranksnout

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mark Williams
Repair a cranksnout

Post by Mark Williams »

I have a forged 454 crank and the snout is worn and damaged, local shop said they can fix it very reasonable thermal spray weld and machine to spec.
Is that a good realible repair, shop says so but I have no experience? Any potential problems?
600 hp street 454.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Repair a cranksnout

Post by mag2555 »

How much material will they need to add would be my concern?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams »

mag2555 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:29 am How much material will they need to add would be my concern?
What can happen? Better solution?
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Should be fine, but one thing I'd look at is cost. How much for the repair, vs. how much for a replacement aftermarket crank? I'd compare the costs of the two and decide then.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:16 am Should be fine, but one thing I'd look at is cost. How much for the repair, vs. how much for a replacement aftermarket crank? I'd compare the costs of the two and decide then.
New forged crank+balance is over 1000$
Repair 150$
At least what I was told.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

$1000+ for a new crank?? What are you looking at? Eagle, Molnar, Ohio Crankshaft, all have very reasonably priced cranks. But $150 for repair is pretty good, but sounds low to me. It costs more than that just to get one turned here......
Mark Goulette
Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:29 am $1000+ for a new crank?? What are you looking at? Eagle, Molnar, Ohio Crankshaft, all have very reasonably priced cranks. But $150 for repair is pretty good, but sounds low to me. It costs more than that just to get one turned here......
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca- ... +balancing sure I could get a cast 9000 scat but still more money when balanced and done.

He say thet mask it up and just Do it to the snout and machine the snout back to spec since journals are Nice and in spec.

Price is a estimate I got, he will know exact on monday since he has another shop Do the thermal spray welding but he Said last crank he Did a while back that needed much more work was 370.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Try mile high crankshaft see what they will tell you but you will have to wait for a response they are busy there also on Facebook.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

1972ho wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:07 pm Try mile high crankshaft see what they will tell you but you will have to wait for a response they are busy there also on Facebook.
Dave is always SWAMPED.......but his work is second to none......Great guy though.
Mark Goulette
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:09 pm
1972ho wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:07 pm Try mile high crankshaft see what they will tell you but you will have to wait for a response they are busy there also on Facebook.
Dave is always SWAMPED.......but his work is second to none......Great guy though.
What about his wife's work? OP if you can find a a good crank guy you can weld it up, but a wet mag needs to be done before anything.

Heres a video of Daves work........https://youtu.be/kma8_ETQrZ8
Last edited by vortecpro on Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams »

vortecpro wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:30 pm
Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:09 pm
What about his wife's work? OP if you can find a a good crank guy you can weld it up, but a wet mag needs to be done before anything.
So the thermal spray weld is not ok? Shop owner said he had done several this way and no problems? I have zero experience and hope to save the crank for less than a new cast.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

vortecpro wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:30 pm What about his wife's work? OP if you can find a a good crank guy you can weld it up, but a wet mag needs to be done before anything.

Slamming Dave's work now? I'm sure there are literally THOUSANDS of Dave's cranks out there that don't have an issue....

You sure stoop to new lows with every post.....slam everybody that doesn't agree with only what you say.....I'm quite sure there are plenty of racers here and in the Springs and Pueblo that will argue against you......

And not that Dave is considered one of the best crank guys in the country........which he is.....look it up........
Mark Goulette
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:48 pm
vortecpro wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:30 pm What about his wife's work? OP if you can find a a good crank guy you can weld it up, but a wet mag needs to be done before anything.

Slamming Dave's work now? I'm sure there are literally THOUSANDS of Dave's cranks out there that don't have an issue....

You sure stoop to new lows with every post.....slam everybody that doesn't agree with only what you say.....I'm quite sure there are plenty of racers here and in the Springs and Pueblo that will argue against you......

And not that Dave is considered one of the best crank guys in the country........which he is.....look it up........

Mark

This has nothing to do with you. You don't know the things that have been done to people from that shop, Dave lied right to my face after his butcher of a wife destroyed one of my cranks, I've had one customer after another that bring cranks to my shop to be fixed from Dave's shop, one customer I can think of had his crank back to mile high 3 times after giving up. The guys dishonest. I can go on for ever about problems caused up there. Theres no question Dave can grind a decent crank, but what about the guy who comes in there with a 455 Olds crank and wants a good grind and his wife destroys the guys crank, then Dave lies and try to cover up for his wife incompetent work?
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams »

So how about my snout? Is thermal spray weld ok?

Googled it and saw that they use that method to repair big cranks in tanker engines so must not be that bad?
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

That's funny, I know a lot of people that are perfectly happy with his work, and have nothing but good things to say about it. But I guess everybody has issues with someone at some point. But let's consider something for just a minute....the op once again was asking about repairing his crank. A posted mentioned Dave, I supported his post because of my experience with him....He's done 5 cranks for me so far, and I've transported several more to Slatten as a favor to Dave Slatten. Dave Slatten is anal about his stuff, and I'm sure if there was an issue with Dave O, I would have known about it. Slatten was the one who originally recommended him to me.....many years ago....

Then, the first post you make is slamming his work, instead of saying welding is just fine, get it magged, and leave it at that....You didn't need to slam someone else, period. Seems to be an issue with you over and over again though. I'll admit, you have some great things to add when it comes to tech....BUT.....you insist on slamming anybody you don't agree with to push your own sales and work.....Dave's reputation for quality goes far and above any bad experience you MAY have had.....He does cranks from all over the country. I'll admit also that sometimes mistakes are made....In the years I've known him, he's never once made an excuse, only fixed it if there was a problem....so bashing him is not needed. On the video, I'm not buying that as proof either, it's very easy to set up an indicator to read something other than what's actually there....I've already seen people do that to sell their work and bash others....it's nothing new in the industry...that's why I bought the tools to check everything I have, so I don't have to find out the hard way....

How about this, if someone asks for help, provide the help they ask for and leave it at that.....no bashing, no sales, no bs.....Just because someone doesn't agree with you or your opinions doesn't make them wrong and you right. We all have our opinions based on our own experience. I tend to look at things from a cost standpoint, and try to base some of my advice on that. Sometimes it's better to get new than to deal with old, go aftermarket than to use stock, or use something other than planned in the interest of reliability...but everybody has a different experience and ideas....again, that doesn't make them wrong, just different.
Mark Goulette