Has a Dependable SBC flat tappet lifter been located ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dustinm

Re: Has a Dependable SBC flat tappet lifter been located ?

Post by dustinm »

CamKing wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:40 am
MELWAY wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:36 am Mike
Is hylift Johnson back to producing flat tappet lifters again?
There is pretty much none in Australia
Yes, that's all I sell.
The Foundry they used went bankrupt during the Covid shutdown, so they had to contract with a foundry in Cleveland. That put them way behind.
The first run of Chevy mechanical lifters shipped around the beginning of the year. Shortly after, the Chevy hydraulic lifters shipped.
We've sold over 1,000 of them this year, and have had no issues.
Is the supply still ok? Or are the lifters lasting?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

dustinm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:05 pm Is the supply still ok? Or are the lifters lasting?
Yes, we have them in stock.
We've sold thousands of the Johnson-Hylift lifters, since they changed to the new foundry, and have had zero issues.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

CamKing wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:24 pm
dustinm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:05 pm Is the supply still ok? Or are the lifters lasting?
Yes, we have them in stock.
We've sold thousands of the Johnson-Hylift lifters, since they changed to the new foundry, and have had zero issues.
Do you use the same lifter for your Hardkore flat tappet cams just DLC coated?

What's the max lift you can run with your hardkore solid flat tappet cam on the street and be reliable?

Thank's in advance, Bob
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

=D> There ya go, if a person is not willing to pay for quality parts they will just have to suffer the consequences . Mark H.
CamKing wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am We have no issues with our US made flat tappet lifters, and have them in stock.
They're made by Hylift Johnson, and are the only major lifter manufacturer, who's flat tappet lifters are 100% USA manufactured.
The bodies are produced at a foundry in Cleveland, and they are finish machined in Michigan.
This is the same lifter we've been selling for decades, and we sell thousands of them a year.
The price has almost doubled in the last few years, but they're a quality lifter.
We only offer the mechanical flat tappet lifters with an EDM'd oiling hole in the face of the lifter. In circle track applications, we found the oiling hole increases the life of the lifters and cam by about 300%.
i82much

Post by i82much »

are there any particular lobe families that are gentle and tend to last longer than others, hyd or solid flat?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Geoff2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 am Get your factory lifters re-faced. Or any lifter made prior to 1995. You will then have reliable lifters. We have doing this here for DECADES.
Same here, I buy up all the older lifters, then I have my cam grinder reface them.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bob460 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:46 pm
Do you use the same lifter for your Hardkore flat tappet cams just DLC coated?

What's the max lift you can run with your hardkore solid flat tappet cam on the street and be reliable?

Thank's in advance, Bob
No, for the "HardKore" flat tappet cams, you have to run DLC coated tool steel lifters.

As for street reliability, lift isn't the issue, it's required spring pressure. If the open pressure is under 450#, the "Hardkore" cam and DLC coated tool steel lifters are very reliable.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

i82much wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 am are there any particular lobe families that are gentle and tend to last longer than others, hyd or solid flat?
Yes, the aggressiveness of the profiles, and the spring pressures required to control those profiles will have an effect on how long the cam and lifters last.
We have some very aggressive flat tappet profiles designed for circle track racing. They'll last 2-3 seasons in circle track racing, but that's only about 12-20K miles. We also have profiles designed for street performance that will last 100's or thousands of miles.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
i82much

Post by i82much »

CamKing wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:09 am
i82much wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 am are there any particular lobe families that are gentle and tend to last longer than others, hyd or solid flat?
Yes, the aggressiveness of the profiles, and the spring pressures required to control those profiles will have an effect on how long the cam and lifters last.
We have some very aggressive flat tappet profiles designed for circle track racing. They'll last 2-3 seasons in circle track racing, but that's only about 12-20K miles. We also have profiles designed for street performance that will last 100's or thousands of miles.
thank you!
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Mike
With solid roller needle failure always a worry on a regular heavy hitter street stripe engine.
What are you thoughts on use A dlc tool steel flat lifter. On your special cam cores. For extended street thrashing. Over solid roller lifter set ups ?
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

MELWAY wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:44 am
Mike
With solid roller needle failure always a worry on a regular heavy hitter street stripe engine.
What are you thoughts on use A dlc tool steel flat lifter. On your special cam cores. For extended street thrashing. Over solid roller lifter set ups ?
Because of the velocity limitations of the flat tappet, it won't make as much power as a roller.
If you're worried about the needle bearings, we offer a bronze bushing option, or for maximum reliability, a "Steel on Steel" option.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
dustinm

Post by dustinm »

CamKing wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:12 am
MELWAY wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:44 am

Mike
Because of the velocity limitations of the flat tappet, it won't make as much power as a roller.
If you're worried about the needle bearings, we offer a bronze bushing option, or for maximum reliability, a "Steel on Steel" option.
I guess Im in the same boat as MELWAY, with all the needle bearing failures Ive seen over the years flat tappet had been the way to go. How do you feel the bushing style roller lifters will wear with all the dry starts a street/weekend hotrod would incur? I imagine spring pressure would push/squeeze out any film of oil rod or main bearings are able to retain.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

dustinm wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:30 pm How do you feel the bushing style roller lifters will wear with all the dry starts a street/weekend hotrod would incur?
With our pressurized 4-Port axle oiling, it's not an issue.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

I have yet to see a DLC steel on steel lifter fail...............must be the go to lifter!!

I started a thread with them that had 2,800 1/8 passe's on them, they took them apart and looked brand new............impressive.
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

I'm getting a little off topic for this thread but Mike, how aggressive are the lobes you ground on my cam as far as lifter life? R78440-80440 I've got your R series lifters with needles. Turning the motor over by hand you can definitely see the lift accelerate after a certain point. Seems like it closes equally soft though.

I've finally got the short block assembled and working on getting the rest together and in the car soon. Got stuck in machine shop jail for most of the year.