Budget Parkerizing flat tappet cams at shop

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Budget Parkerizing flat tappet cams at shop

Post by ProPower engines »

PRH wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:15 pm Those lifters were no problem to get back when that engine was built.
It was a good idea for sure and the design was brilliant but some QC issues with the pucks coming off and no replacements then they were gone it seems forever.
We had a set we used to burnish cams before using tool steel lifters for a while but that was short lived as well.

Thats why we have roller lifters right.............................. :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Wow I would have thought it would be impossible to fail a cam in a 153/181, but then I’m convinced many of the jobber cams and lifters are just garbage now.

Sorry for your loss.
CamaroMan

Post by CamaroMan »

Thanks all - ill have to pull the cam. This motor ran fine for 30 years, then it ran a bearing. I bored it 30 over, new everything- i think melling is possibly the only cam maker who supplies the 120/140/merc/gm 2.5 cams nowadays-

I must admit I have checked for rotating pushrods after assembly but I was in a complete muck up to my neck - 1 man vs 5 boats, 5 engine rebuilds simultaneous and a ton more- add in some SoCal heat and my patience and tolerances dwindle!

When I pull the cam and rest of the lifters (they seem fine) ill post up some pics. I usually can tell if the lifter can just about slide down on itself down the bore im usually happy.. I do have a hone for the lifter bores I usually run thru very quick just to clean them up if the motors been standing. I like to clean engine blocks prior to rebuild- I dont like all that clean metal standing around so usually leave them oily till its time-

Gr8 answers here - gppd reading and I never thought to check lobe taper on ft cams- makes absolute sense.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

We groove the lifter bores for increased oiling to the lifter foot as the lobe meets the lifter.
i also just send them to a local cam grinder and get the lobe taper corrected and call the new cam a core and correct the mass produced POS cam so they live.
I have a inline pair of 250 6 cyl. engines and both the new cams have 0 lobe taper so they were sent out for a tune up.

Just be careful onb those cams as the 120/130 hp 2.5 Lt/151 ci engines differ from the 181 /3.0 Lt engines in lift.
Some times they combine the applications and part numbers to save inventory on common parts so 1 cam works for both but the more common cam like the 181/140 HP design has extra lift and can cause coil bind issues with stock springs if they are on min. instaklled height spec.

Been there [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
CamaroMan

Post by CamaroMan »

Aware of the tool- been considering it. I was also under the impression that assembly lube was for motors that might sit for a few months before being fired up - and always used motor oil with additives mixed and primed... i do have the assembly stuff just never used. havent had time to pull the cam yet been too busy but hopefully next few days..
ProPower engines wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:20 pm We groove the lifter bores for increased oiling to the lifter foot as the lobe meets the lifter.
i also just send them to a local cam grinder and get the lobe taper corrected and call the new cam a core and correct the mass produced POS cam so they live. [-X
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I always use either the black moly paste or the Driven assy grease cam lube on the cam lobes and bottoms of the lifters.
I’d never just use oil for a new cam & lifters.

So, step one would be verify the lobe taper & lifter crown.

Then I’d verify lifter rotation prior to lubing up cam/lifters with proper cam lube.

Use dedicated break in oil and proper cam break in procedures.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.