Lifter Manufactures And Who Are They

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Fbpd227

Re: Lifter Manufactures And Who Are They

Post by Fbpd227 »

I just asked this same question to Elgin, since I had purchased their hydraulic flat tappers and 292 cam and then got real nervous of catastrophic failure if the quality was china inferior! I sent an email to their tech dept. wanting more info about their lifters- here’s their reply!

Hi David,
Thank you for your inquiry. Elgin lifters are OEM, made by Eaton & Delphi. The flat tappets are from the same Eaton factory that makes them for OEM assembly lines. What ever inventory the OEM's don't use at the end of each week is made available to the aftermarket through Elgin. The HL-1817 are coming from the GM Engine Assembly Complex in Mexico. These have the lifter body cast and machined in North America. We sell them because they are the only lifters that we will cover with our warranty.
Thank you,
Scott Stier
Aftermarket Sales
Desk : 847-930-6325
Elgin : 800-323-6764
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2022 10:26 AM
To: Sales
Subject: Submission from Website Contact Form
Subject: Mail Submission from https://www.elginind.com/
Name: David Haney
Phone: 864-305-6189
Email: fbpd227@yahoo.com
Comments: I bought your Elgin HL-1817 lifters and your E-920-P cam for my sbc 350, and I am hearing MANY people complaining about cam lifter failures and killing the engine upon break in - NOTHING has been said about your brand, but the general statements made imply there are actually only about 3 lifter manufacturers making lifters for everyone….. who makes your lifters? Are they actually made in the USA, or just assembled, and made in Mexico? Are there reports of lifter failures being made about these? I would much prefere to know in advance of blowing up my engine! Your honesty is paramount, as I will still continue to buy your products! Are these issues due to poor quality metal (China metal), or are your lifters built from quality USA steel? Thank you in advance for any and ALL info you can provide!
(Also I am fully aware of proper break in procedures- varying rpm’s from 2000 to 2500, and at least 20 minutes to 30 minutes- never let it idle during break in, use break in specific oil high zddp oil and change the oil and filter, right after break in with another high zddp quality oil and filter) thanks!
--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Elgin Industries (https://www.elginind.com)”

made me feel much better after getting that reply!

ps, my lifters do not have a parting line, and look like a solid body with the recessed middle section like the pic of the Summit ones above. Even the numbers are similar, indicating the most likely other companies are also buying left over stock assembly parts to rebrand, and sell. ‘there’s a bunch of guessing going on these days, so when you get the info straight from the (reputable) company, you have to hope for the best going forward!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

There is only one flat tappet lifter company that manufactures their lifters in the U.S., Hylift-Johnson.
That's who manufactures our flat tappet lifters.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

For clarity there are two companies using the Johnson Lifter name. They are different ownership and not sharing designs.

Johnson Lifters
25940 Northline Rd,
Taylor MI 48180

Hylift Johnson Lifters
1185 East Keating Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49442
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

HDBD wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:24 am For clarity there are two companies using the Johnson Lifter name. They are different ownership and not sharing designs.

Johnson Lifters
25940 Northline Rd,
Taylor MI 48180

Hylift Johnson Lifters
1185 East Keating Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49442
Yes, but the one in Taylor MI, doesn't make flat tappet lifters. Only roller lifters.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Fbpd227 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:36 pm I just asked this same question to Elgin, since I had purchased their hydraulic flat tappers and 292 cam and then got real nervous of catastrophic failure if the quality was china inferior! I sent an email to their tech dept. wanting more info about their lifters- here’s their reply!

Hi David,
Thank you for your inquiry. Elgin lifters are OEM, made by Eaton & Delphi. The flat tappets are from the same Eaton factory that makes them for OEM assembly lines. What ever inventory the OEM's don't use at the end of each week is made available to the aftermarket through Elgin. The HL-1817 are coming from the GM Engine Assembly Complex in Mexico. These have the lifter body cast and machined in North America. We sell them because they are the only lifters that we will cover with our warranty.
Thank you,
Scott Stier
Aftermarket Sales
Desk : 847-930-6325
Elgin : 800-323-6764
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2022 10:26 AM
To: Sales
Subject: Submission from Website Contact Form
Subject: Mail Submission from https://www.elginind.com/
Name: David Haney
Phone: 864-305-6189
Email: fbpd227@yahoo.com
Comments: I bought your Elgin HL-1817 lifters and your E-920-P cam for my sbc 350, and I am hearing MANY people complaining about cam lifter failures and killing the engine upon break in - NOTHING has been said about your brand, but the general statements made imply there are actually only about 3 lifter manufacturers making lifters for everyone….. who makes your lifters? Are they actually made in the USA, or just assembled, and made in Mexico? Are there reports of lifter failures being made about these? I would much prefere to know in advance of blowing up my engine! Your honesty is paramount, as I will still continue to buy your products! Are these issues due to poor quality metal (China metal), or are your lifters built from quality USA steel? Thank you in advance for any and ALL info you can provide!
(Also I am fully aware of proper break in procedures- varying rpm’s from 2000 to 2500, and at least 20 minutes to 30 minutes- never let it idle during break in, use break in specific oil high zddp oil and change the oil and filter, right after break in with another high zddp quality oil and filter) thanks!
--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Elgin Industries (https://www.elginind.com)”

made me feel much better after getting that reply!

ps, my lifters do not have a parting line, and look like a solid body with the recessed middle section like the pic of the Summit ones above. Even the numbers are similar, indicating the most likely other companies are also buying left over stock assembly parts to rebrand, and sell. ‘there’s a bunch of guessing going on these days, so when you get the info straight from the (reputable) company, you have to hope for the best going forward!
At least "North American" is not Chinese metal...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

Is there an issue with the Mexican made, Sealed Power/FM/etc roller lifters that the OEs are using? I need new roller lifters for the Dodge and its SP/FM or China. Not counting 1500$ worth of Johnson lifters.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Fusion Works wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:25 pm Is there an issue with the Mexican made, Sealed Power/FM/etc roller lifters that the OEs are using? I need new roller lifters for the Dodge and its SP/FM or China. Not counting 1500$ worth of Johnson lifters.
Then just call mike J. and get them from him. That way there is a known quality.
If you are talking about the modern Hemi then suck it up and go with the Johnson lifters. Thats all we use now for them.

While the Hemi lifters being sold at the dealers for the most part are just HL johnson we have seem too many sets problematic and will not use any others then the original Johnson. Had customers bitch and complain about the cost and after they supplied their own lifters and they were noisy and the engine needs to come apart the extra cost for the Johnson's started to look very cost effective after that.

The OE Hyd. rollers for the sm. blk.s are made by Eaton in Mexico I am told now but have not confirmed that yet.
We have had a few that needed to be replaced when they are noisy but it has not been too often. maybe 4-6 builds needed some changed out after they were on the dyno and would not shut up.

FYI
Johnson only builds high end high quality lifters so the cost is reflected in the products they sell.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

Dodge V10, but its the same lifter as all of the Magnums, no idea if same as new Hemi. Ok so Sealed Power is just reselling the ones made by Eaton in Mexico. That makes sense, I guess. My current lifters at 250K miles don't make any noise, so I can't complain about durability of the OE lifters.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Fusion Works wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm Dodge V10, but its the same lifter as all of the Magnums, no idea if same as new Hemi. Ok so Sealed Power is just reselling the ones made by Eaton in Mexico. That makes sense, I guess. My current lifters at 250K miles don't make any noise, so I can't complain about durability of the OE lifters.
No the Hemi takes a different lifter
FWIW
I am told that Eaton supplies Dodge magnum hyd. roller lifters to Elgin. as well. That was direct from Elgin.
Where Sealed Power is sourcing some of their product line I am not sure but it could be just re-boxing the HL Johnson stuff.

Everyone in the automotive parts industry is having a hard time with supply regardless of where it comes from.
But it seems that HL Johnson is filling the needs of most cam manufactures now but I guess time will tell.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

I take every lifter apart and check it no matter where it comes from.youd be surprised what you find in there some times.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Any idea if Rhoads lifters makes their own or uses a USA manufacturer?
Pro question poster.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:23 pm Any idea if Rhoads lifters makes their own or uses a USA manufacturer?
They used to be a USA made lifter, not sure if they are even being made anymore.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:23 pm Any idea if Rhoads lifters makes their own or uses a USA manufacturer?
I'd be really surprised if Rhoads "made" lifters...ever.

I expect they buy in bulk from whoever they've chosen as a supplier; pull 'em apart, machine some magic into them, and then repackage them as their own.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

This ^.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

jake197000 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:29 pm I take every lifter apart and check it no matter where it comes from.youd be surprised what you find in there some times.
Unfortunately, with the link bar style lifters I've been using, disassembly isn't possible as the river prevents the innards from being removed.
Kevin