So which heads will get my 358 in the high 10's

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: So which heads will get my 358 in the high 10's

Post by 1980RS »

So I went out today and got 2 runs in (this track is screwed up big time) and the runs today surprised me as the car slowed down.
The 1st run was an 11.45@114mph and that is a tenth and 1 half slower with 3 mph less, Humm.....
The next run I swapped over to my 1000 M/D (limited time) and ya I know it was too big and added my 4 hole 2" spacer.
The car picked up to a 11.37 but the mph was the same at 114.6 so I am a little surprised at how well the Air Gap is over the Victor Jr. this is the 3rd Vic Jr. I have used and have been disappointed all 3 times so it will get sold at a swap meet. I am not sure if the converter was an issue as it flashed to 5200 pretty easy and didn't feel loose at all. One thing I could tell for sure, the FST vs carb did not like the Vic Jr. at all and the car down track just felt lazy with it, but on the Air Gap it was game on. So now I have to keep that one in mind as those will be a match pair to hang onto. Oh well, that racing. Some things work, some don't. Now it's on to the L-29 test next month and I an thinking that tighter 10" converter might work pretty good in this case.

Oh, I forgot this one. I was talking with a guy who has a tubbed 69 Camaro fully caged car with a 496 that runs 11.30@118mph with a 1050 Dominator on it, I am not too disappointed today :lol:
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

1980RS wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm 1000 M/D (limited time) and ya I know it was too big
Maybe not as too big as first thought.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

HQM383 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:14 pm
1980RS wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm 1000 M/D (limited time) and ya I know it was too big
Wished I would have gotten a few more runs as I would have like to run my modified 600 Holley VS I have. It works really good on intakes like this. Last time I ran it on this 358 with a different set of heads it actually had better 1/8 mile times and was still dead on mph wise.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm So I went out today and got 2 runs in (this track is screwed up big time) and the runs today surprised me as the car slowed down.
The 1st run was an 11.45@114mph and that is a tenth and 1 half slower with 3 mph less, Humm.....
The next run I swapped over to my 1000 M/D (limited time) and ya I know it was too big and added my 4 hole 2" spacer.
The car picked up to a 11.37 but the mph was the same at 114.6 so I am a little surprised at how well the Air Gap is over the Victor Jr. this is the 3rd Vic Jr. I have used and have been disappointed all 3 times so it will get sold at a swap meet. I am not sure if the converter was an issue as it flashed to 5200 pretty easy and didn't feel loose at all. One thing I could tell for sure, the FST vs carb did not like the Vic Jr. at all and the car down track just felt lazy with it, but on the Air Gap it was game on. So now I have to keep that one in mind as those will be a match pair to hang onto. Oh well, that racing. Some things work, some don't. Now it's on to the L-29 test next month and I an thinking that tighter 10" converter might work pretty good in this case.

Oh, I forgot this one. I was talking with a guy who has a tubbed 69 Camaro fully caged car with a 496 that runs 11.30@118mph with a 1050 Dominator on it, I am not too disappointed today :lol:
Bob,
Gotta get into those victor junior intakes and take some material out, they pretty small at the runner opening in plenum.
That's pretty good ET for the MPH,a couple of years ago my car ran 11.70 @ 114 mph.
3 mph is a decent drop especially compared to airgap.
Hot ,humid day ??
20220815_160601.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

1980RS wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 am
HQM383 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:14 pm
Wished I would have gotten a few more runs as I would have like to run my modified 600 Holley VS I have. It works really good on intakes like this. Last time I ran it on this 358 with a different set of heads it actually had better 1/8 mile times and was still dead on mph wise.
^^^Makes carb sizing very interesting. “What gives me best metering response time, homogeneous air/fuel atomization and reduced pumping losses?” Best way to know and to leave nothing on the table is one of our favorite pastimes - testing.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

1980RS wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm So I went out today and got 2 runs in (this track is screwed up big time) and the runs today surprised me as the car slowed down.

There is no way you can come to any useful conclusions in only 2 runs with a different carb each run. You need several runs with timing changes to see what is fastest, along with playing with shift points, etc. You will be chasing your tail in circles doing testing with only run. Take the car back out and put several runs before changing anything.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Old School wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:36 am

There is no way you can come to any useful conclusions in only 2 runs with a different carb each run. You need several runs with timing changes to see what is fastest, along with playing with shift points, etc. You will be chasing your tail in circles doing testing with only run. Take the car back out and put several runs before changing anything.
Will have to be on a later date, as I have my L-29 461 out to test in a few weeks. You are right on chasing ones tail on stuff, my tail still hurts from all the dumb things I have tested and tested and tested which still didn't work. :lol:
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Your constant testing inspires me! Your not a lazy person-
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

vortecpro wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:57 am Your constant testing inspires me! Your not a lazy person-
Thanks Mark, you are one of my Hero's I look up to for inspiration :mrgreen:
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Here is something I had forgotten about. The Vic Jr. I tested Sunday was the same one I lent out to my buddy who earlier this year ran it on the dyno against his stock Vic Jr. and made 35 more HP with it, but when I use it the car fells like it made 35HP less than the AG. This is a good lesson in that what worked on one engine did not work on mine. This intake has super throttle response but it seemed to lack power on the big end for some reason and the AG last fall seemed to hike the front end up with the front wheels off the ground and just kept on pulling until I lifted the pedal, where as the Vic. Jr jut seems to flat line across the stripe.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Watched the in car video today and the converter did not flash well, surprisingly. The car also was laboring on the big end so for the BBC testing I may need to go to the previous 10" one I just took out and send this one in for a look see. Somethings a miss, but I will find it and fix it. :mrgreen:
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

UPDATE ON THIS: Pulled a couple of plugs and the car was pig rich, so much so that I have never had my plugs look this bad from 2 passes and just moving the car on and off the trailer. Ha Ha, people said I needed to fatten the engine up with the single plane intake. Looks like I needed to go the other way.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:18 pm UPDATE ON THIS: Pulled a couple of plugs and the car was pig rich, so much so that I have never had my plugs look this bad from 2 passes and just moving the car on and off the trailer. Ha Ha, people said I needed to fatten the engine up with the single plane intake. Looks like I needed to go the other way.
Might be worth retesting, I was surprised by your results, if you take fuel away and make more power,quicker/ faster on the track that's a win in my opinion
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

So based on this you would assume the signal to the carburetor is so much stronger with the ported Victor JR than the dual plane ?
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

1980RS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:18 pm UPDATE ON THIS: Pulled a couple of plugs and the car was pig rich, so much so that I have never had my plugs look this bad from 2 passes and just moving the car on and off the trailer. Ha Ha, people said I needed to fatten the engine up with the single plane intake. Looks like I needed to go the other way.
Shut down after the stripe pig rich plug carbon?