Ti valves cleaning???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
Ti valves cleaning???

Post by garym »

I have read that cleaning titanium valves in harsh cleaning solvents like carb cleaner, laquer thinner, acetone etc. would some how compromise the valve . I can not remember where I read this but was wondering if this was fact or bullsh*t .I would like to get input on this. THANKS garym
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Ti valves cleaning???

Post by mag2555 »

Just wipe them down with new clean detergent motor oil and clean rags.
With enough Elbow grease you will safely get them more then clean enough to use again!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

If they are nitrided, i think you can clean them with whatever you want.
If the stems are molly coated then you cant use solvents because you will dissolve the binder.
garym

Post by garym »

I am just going to clean the carbon off the valve head and then wash the valves in dish soap and rinse with water.Would laquer thinner be ok for the valve head only to help with the carbon removal ? My main concern was if laquer thinner would compromise the valve head. I was not going to use a cleaning solvent on the valve stem so I would not compromise the coating on the valve stem. Would this method be ok to do? THANKS garym
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

They are exposed to fuel & oil in the engine, anything petroleum or alcohol based is 100% fine.
I put them in the lathe & clean with degreaser & green scotch brite pads, brings them up real good & does not effect the coating.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

They are exposed to fuel & oil in the engine, anything petroleum or alcohol based is 100% fine.
I put them in the lathe & clean with degreaser & green scotch brite pads, brings them up real good & does not effect the coating.
Same method. No lathe but I found a drill press will work.
enginenut2

Post by enginenut2 »

Worked maintenance in a chemical plant with a lot of exotic metal use to deal with acids and their gases. Ti was the most resistant to attact from most acids but not chlorine gas. I can't imagine a cleaning solvent that would touch the Ti metal---the coating maybe. We cleaned for welding using a solution (dilute) of Nitric and Hydrofloric acids.
65-fastford

Post by 65-fastford »

For what its worth....
John Kaasae uses an abrasive wheel like a scotchbrite pad to clean TI valves.

https://youtu.be/ElcbVBOs5TE
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

65-fastford wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm For what its worth....
John Kaasae uses an abrasive wheel like a scotchbrite pad to clean TI valves.

https://youtu.be/ElcbVBOs5TE
Tried to watch that once before but the sound is so bad without a mic that I can't understand half of what Jon is saying.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

CrN (Chromium Nitride) is the modern coating used on Ti valves. As was said, it's very re resistant to chemicals and cleaning. The entire valve is coated with CrN. It will not need the black anti-friction coating on the stem (that cleans off so easily) and the coating also makes the valve job last a LOT longer.

There are a lot of 2000-era NASCAR surplus valves out there. I'm assuming these were quickly dumped when they came out with CrN. Not sure about the coating on those, but they are pre-CrN... maybe TiN or partial TiN?

The oldest stuff is pretty much bare Ti with the moly coating on the stem. As was said, do NOT use brake cleaner, etc to clean the stems, as you can wipe the coating right off. Seen it happen.

I was upgrading a set of heads recently to larger valves, and the surplus NASCAR valves were all over the market, but if Ti, I wanted CrN for decent service life. Those were expensive and a significant wait. I ended up using a lighter 5/16" stem stainless valve with good results.

Wide spectrum of Ti valves out there. They are definitely NOT all created equal. The GOOD ones are CrN coated, and I've even heard of some of them being DLC... just never seen one in person.

Good Luck