Only in California ... maybe not ...coming to your State ??

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Only in California ... maybe not ...coming to your State ??

Post by gruntguru »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:21 pmhttps://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-is-chi ... a-57777113
They nearly double our output if you are looking at volume as opposed to per capita.
Hey - they are 25 times our output (Australia). We need to increase our emissions!!
Excellent link by the way.
Last edited by gruntguru on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

I had a 87 Honda CRX as a teen that got 50 miles to the gallon if you kept your foot out of it. There are diesel cars in Europe that get over 70 mpg. Certainly seems a more efficient way than EVs.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/economical-cars/diesel
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:14 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:21 pmhttps://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-is-chi ... a-57777113
They nearly double our output if you are looking at volume as opposed to per capita.
Hey - they are 25 times our output (Australia). We need to increase our emissions!!
Keep in mind too that those figures are largely reliant on each countries government data. I'm highly suspicious of the Chinese figures seeing that they have 1100+ coal fired powerplants that have no emission devices among other things. I suspect the real number is much higher. Look at the stories of some of the cities in China and the smog haze being so thick it's like fog.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm
gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:14 pm
Keep in mind too that those figures are largely reliant on each countries government data. I'm highly suspicious of the Chinese figures seeing that they have 1100+ coal fired powerplants that have no emission devices among other things. I suspect the real number is much higher. Look at the stories of some of the cities in China and the smog haze being so thick it's like fog.
I was in China back in 2014. I was blown away by the pollution. LA on its worst day did not hold a candle to it. I even traveled to a few of the smaller cities and even drove around rural areas as well. It was awful.

One thing that does not get talked about. We talk about the per capita thing with China, When I was there the cost to get a drivers license was equal to $10,000 US dollars. The pollution is as bad as it is, could you imagine if people could drive like we can?

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Chinese 8th graders taking a test in the smog

Going to work

Talking a walk

I have a hard time believing that we put out more pollution per capita. The smog is so bad in China that NASA satellites have photographed it.

Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

FC-Pilot wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:15 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm
gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:14 pm Hey - they are 25 times our output (Australia). We need to increase our emissions!!
I was in China back in 2014. I was blown away by the pollution. LA on its worst day did not hold a candle to it. I even traveled to a few of the smaller cities and even drove around rural areas as well. It was awful.

One thing that does not get talked about. We talk about the per capita thing with China, When I was there the cost to get a drivers license was equal to $10,000 US dollars. The pollution is as bad as it is, could you imagine if people could drive like we can?

Paul
I agree. Having been there in 2013, two things that struck me. One, was the pollution. On a scale I could never imagine. Two was the fact that you and everyone else was monitored all the time. The bloody cameras on the overheads on the highway. Flashing constantly. In places there were cameras every 100 meters it seemed like. I could not wait to leave and I will never go back.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:39 am I have a hard time believing that we put out more pollution per capita. The smog is so bad in China that NASA satellites have photographed it.
You do know that smog is not the same as CO2 don't you.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

gruntguru wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:48 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:39 am I have a hard time believing that we put out more pollution per capita. The smog is so bad in China that NASA satellites have photographed it.
You do know that smog is not the same as CO2 don't you.
Yes I do.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

We are good at making advances in technology , just not very good at making advances in the human that uses it..
Obviously there will come a time when we will have to focus more on how we use energy. You don't have to look very far to see how much of it we piss away on useless things, just to entertain ourselves..
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

A nice blend of well known but inconsequential facts and conspiracy theorist crap.

Particularly hilarious is this quote
Does anyone need to get 60 in 2.9 seconds? Or even six?
. . . and you're posting this on a forum devoted to fast cars?
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Those pictures of the state of the air in Chinese cities are shocking. They'll need to start fitting their coal-fired power stations and industry with precipitators and decent bag houses to capture all that stuff so it doesn't get liberated to atmosphere. That and start going nuclear in a big way. Given the miracle of what the Chinese have achieved in a mere 30 years (moved more people out of grinding poverty and into middle class than ever achieved in a comparable time-span previously and done without colonising or constantly waging wars of choice upon others) it'd be a reasonable expectation that they'll attend to this issue. One recalls the priorities for development the CPC stated. Seems they weren't blowing smoke after all! Their plan was to elevate the people totally out of poverty. That's closer to being achieved than ever before. Attending to the air quality surely has to be on the agenda soon though. Since China generates the vast bulk of its electricity by coal, nuclear would have to be the way forward for them. As it happens there are more nuclear power stations under construction in China presently than anywhere else (including Russia, even though the Russians have the largest order book to build new plant*).

*Over USD130-billion for Rosatom which has the biggest share of the international nuclear energy sector. They are building new plant all over the show. I wouldn't mind having my super invested in Rosatom equities!

--

I had a chuckle about the picture of the "hybrid" set-up at the start of this thread. But thinking on it, a proper series hybrid isn't a far fetched idea. It would have long range and be quick and easy to fuel up on longer trips away from home. You'd not have to remember to plug it in all the time. A bonus would be free cabin heating (which would not cost electricity and hence range). What's not to like?
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Quoting, "Does anyone need to get 60 in 2.9 seconds?"

I don't. I need to get to 60 in 1.9 secs, preferably a little less.