Hotrod Sticker PTSD!

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

patrickonb

Hotrod Sticker PTSD!

Post by patrickonb »

Something funny to think about...

Every time I get an order from some toilet like Jegs or Summit or wherever, I always give the stickers to my kids to do whatever they want with them. One of them asked one day: "why don't you put these on your S10 (drag truck we're building). Here's what I explained...

When I took out my first hotrod ('78 Malibu) in the late 80's, I was driving through what we called "the gut" at the time, (yes I know, everyone called their hot spot, "the gut"). It was where all the hotrodders hung out at night, and came to show off their cars and trucks, and setting up street races. I had been spending lots of my hard earned money and working on my '78 Malibu, had hopped up the 305ci, and it was a pretty good runner. (ran 12.80's) Did it all myself too, you know... installing the cam and lifters, new intake and carb, converter, shift kit in trans, rear gears, etc., all that stuff we take pride in doing ourselves! I was 21 or 22, and I was proud of that pile of junk!

Anyway, I don't remember what stickers they were, Jegs or Summit or P.A.W., but I had just slapped a couple of stickers on the two rear side windows. When driving through the gut that night I heard someone yell out: "Does it go as fast as the stickers!!", and then heard a bunch of laughter ensue. Well, at this young age, that hit me in the feels, and damaged my pride a bit!! I drove home that night feeling embarrassed and ashamed, because my peer group had told me I was an idiot for putting stickers on my ride. Needless to say, I have never put stickers on any of my cars since then, not even on my bracket cars I've had over the years! Never have since, never will again!

It never fails... every time someone pulls out some hotrod stickers, the first thing I hear in my head is: "Does it go as fast as the stickers!!"

Funny isn't it... the things that stick with you? (no pun intended) 😉 - It's a stupid little thing, but for whatever reason, that experience has stuck with me my entire life. LOL
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Hotrod Sticker PTSD!

Post by In-Tech »

Yepper,
Contingency money is the only reason to put a sticker on a car. They are made for tool boxes and refrigerator's :lol:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl