What ll this make? Rammed 496 bbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

What ll this make? Rammed 496 bbc

Post by KnightEngines »

Not having built a lot of BBC's I only have a rough idea what this thing will make.
Should have it on the dyno in January.

Stock 2 bolt block with 4 bolt steel centre caps & short grout fill.
Scat 4.25" steel crank
Scat H beam 6.385" rods
Racetech 21cc dome tops with metric ring pack

DRP (China, but decent china) 335cc rectangle port heads with 2.3/1.88" valves & a bit of a rub up.

268/274 on 110 solid roller, .730/.680" lift with 1.8/1.7 rockers.

Eddy victor ram with 1050 dominators

11:1 comp to run on pump fuel.

2" primary 4 into 1 over transom headers with 3.5" collectors, no mufflers or exhaust system (its a boat).

Msd crank trigger
Wet sump

I'm thinking around 800hp @ 6400rpm or thereabouts.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Re: What ll this make? Rammed 496 bbc

Post by Erland Cox »

That sounds about right, I believe around 800 too.

Erland
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Most people with that combo will make 740ish but I bet with your "rub" work on the heads and intake you should be in the 800 ballpark, might take 6800rpm though. Is this a jet or an I/O?
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Something like this is always good in endurance marine to help with valve spring life..
https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-16736-b ... ilers.aspx

I usually put a 40lb check valve on to help low rpm oil pressure.
-Carl
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

In-Tech wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:40 pm Most people with that combo will make 740ish but I bet with your "rub" work on the heads and intake you should be in the 800 ballpark, might take 6800rpm though. Is this a jet or an I/O?
17.5' flat bottom shallow V ex circuit race boat.

The old 489 it's based on made 680hp @ 6300 with edelbrock E-street heads, 2.19 intake valves, pocket port only, untouched Vic jnr intake, 1050 4150 carb, 10.3:1 comp & the same cam.
It topped out at 100mph @ 6600rpm with 1.28 step up gears.
It'll get 1.42 gears this time.

I should have the heads mon/tues next week.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I would have guessed 700 - 725. I hope you are right with the 800. Lots of 540's don't make 800.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

100mph in that boat is way respectable. The bigger heads and intake will definitely help with more mph. Keep the old gears around, you might find it will respond better to a half inch or so bigger OD and a pitch change, think of it as a bigger tire with same gearing.
As you know, marine is a whole different world than cars. The torque absorption curve of the hull is extremely high. HP has to be climbing straight up past what you want, or you will never get there. If it rolls over you can't get to the next rpm because of the absorption rate. The cat type tunnel hulls free up with mph so it doesn't show up as much with those. That flatty you're talking about must be hangin in out =D>
-Carl
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

In-Tech wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:21 pm 100mph in that boat is way respectable. The bigger heads and intake will definitely help with more mph. Keep the old gears around, you might find it will respond better to a half inch or so bigger OD and a pitch change, think of it as a bigger tire with same gearing.
As you know, marine is a whole different world than cars. The torque absorption curve of the hull is extremely high. HP has to be climbing straight up past what you want, or you will never get there. If it rolls over you can't get to the next rpm because of the absorption rate. The cat type tunnel hulls free up with mph so it doesn't show up as much with those. That flatty you're talking about must be hangin in out =D>
Props are hard to come by around here!
He has a couple of others to try & can borrow a couple more & potentially get the best copied by CNC.
As it was it was running past peak hp & with the little edelbrock heads it fell off fast after peak, so even with the old motor the 1.42 gears would likely have gone 103-105mph.
I *think* it'll work best with the 1.42 gears, but as you say if a different prop proves better you never know.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Yeah, props are a whole expensive world by themselves especially these days. I do understand why Merc charges $10-12k per prop.

In the early 90's I was lucky enough to have a prop made by Harold Kinsvater(ME airplane prop dude). I don't know crapola about this boat stuff. One of the coolest things he taught me was the slip factor. I showed him my homeade datalog crap and we were slipping the prop to 9800 engine rpm and it would settle to 8800 then climb to 11,200 shift with the lenco. In my mind I thought if I could eliminate the "cavitation" we would be faster. He explained it is not cavitating, it is boiling the water. That is your multiplication of torque turning small molecules into larger space and further explained it is not like an automatic transmission convertor. Heat, expansion, no control of the viscosity, etc but still still similar.

My sig line...gotta control the heat :)

I've had such good Mentor's. Bob Wyman Jr/Mallory Erson, Joe Boghosian, Bob McInityre, Gregg Koechline, Hans Hermann, etc etc etc, some really incredible people :)
-Carl
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

My guess 750-770hp at 7,000 rpm...... :wink:
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Truly, for any of us that develop anything after 5252rpm...it;s about chasing torque where it changes the aftermath :wink:
-Carl
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

bob460 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:36 am My guess 750-770hp at 7,000 rpm...... :wink:
Shit I hope we don't have to turn it that hard!

I'll set my sights on 750hp, anything extra is a bonus!
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I hate to say it, but I think IN-Tech might be right about gears in the boat. We run 1.40 gears with a twin turbo BBC making right around 1000 hp at 6300 rpm. That is in a ski race v-drive. When we put in a NA motor we had to drop the gears to 1.22 as there was no way it would pul the bigger gear. On our flats, we run gears between 1.12-1.22 with our NA engines. The key to that is having a good prop. A good prop and gear combo will run circles around someone with another 50 hp that is just trying to muscle the boat around the course. We did gear one of our boats with a 1.32, but it was a bigger CI junk engine that was severely under headed and power fell off a cliff, so we had to use its lower RPM range. I hate to say it, but just like in drag racing, it has to run past it’s peak to really make the boat perform its best. How far past is dependent on how quickly the power falls off. I can’t stress enough the importance of the boats setup and bottom work.

I was thinking 760-780 for power. Then again, your stuff never ceases to impress me, so more than that would not surprise me. The circuit boats you guys run down their are awesome. Great hull design and can run pretty dang dry when setup right. Our dinosaurs for circuit hulls are 50+ years old. There is no reason that boat should not be outstanding.

I have probably 8 props for my current boat. Each has its own character and some even want different gears than another. Testing is where he will find an extra 4-5 MPH. I wish I was next door, I would love to help with the boat setup.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Got the heads for this, they're the proheader/DRP/AFR eliminator casting.
I cut the intake seats for 2.3" valves with a 6 angle valve job, recut the exhausts at 1.88" to a nicer profile & rattled a grinder around a bit - nothing serious, just low hanging fruit type porting.
Bloody things went 400cfm intake & 300cfm exhaust.
I reckon we got enough head!
20221213_165759.jpg
20221213_165806.jpg
20221213_165819.jpg
20221213_170128.jpg
20221213_170028.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Assuming your cam is something like a Lunati 50204. (And that I'm any good at engine sims, which is up for debate...)

Depending on cam angle (8 adv vs 3 retard)

Knight496.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.