SBC 0il pumps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lenni AMC

Re: SBC 0il pumps

Post by Lenni AMC »

This is also an option as an approximate displacement calculation to compare pump volumes.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/approxim ... lil-tarhan
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

interesting oil pump article (EngineBuilder 2009) with credible guidance from several bona fide industry pros
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2009/0 ... echnology/

happy thanksgiving, y'all
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

No expert here. I had the pan off my 383 and it has a 'Z' pump on it- didn't figure it was worth changing to a ST pump (which I would go with if clean sheet), did some hand clean up and ported the interface at the main cap.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

When you read about the low rpm point a spur gear pump can start into cavitation problems it makes you think a gerotor pump the way to go. Maybe those titan pumps worth the money.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

20221125_125316.jpg
20221125_125226.jpg
20221125_125153.jpg
Pulled shark tooth pump apart for a look, not a bad piece for as cast.
Will clean up where suction side plunge cut,very little backlash in gears compared to a M155 I have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Little Mouse wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:37 pm When you read about the low rpm point a spur gear pump can start into cavitation problems it makes you think a gerotor pump the way to go. Maybe those titan pumps worth the money.
I don't know what a spur gear pump is but I know Chevs have trouble free oil systems if nobody plays with them.

Gerotor pumps on the other hand have a history of intolerance, might not be a pump problem though, some engines with problematic oil systems also have gerotor pumps.

But that's OK, keep trying to fix something that isn't broken and chances are it'll break.

If you're getting into serious revs and horsepower, remove the weak point (wet sump) go the whole hog, dry sump it, hmmm, I'd recommend a good multi stage gear pump in that case.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

afaik spur gear pump = M55 = M155 = M99 = M99HV = spur gear pump
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:45 am
Little Mouse wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:37 pm When you read about the low rpm point a spur gear pump can start into cavitation problems it makes you think a gerotor pump the way to go. Maybe those titan pumps worth the money.
I don't know what a spur gear pump is but I know Chevs have trouble free oil systems if nobody plays with them.

Gerotor pumps on the other hand have a history of intolerance, might not be a pump problem though, some engines with problematic oil systems also have gerotor pumps.

But that's OK, keep trying to fix something that isn't broken and chances are it'll break.

If you're getting into serious revs and horsepower, remove the weak point (wet sump) go the whole hog, dry sump it, hmmm, I'd recommend a good multi stage gear pump in that case.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:45 am

Only place I see a dry sump for sure needed is in road racing don't need to spend 3 plus grand on just a high rpm street engine. Gerotor pumps are superior, the only thing may have given them any bad rep is fords stupidity of using a gear on there dist. Only half the size of what chevy used. Yes they can be less tolerant to metal but if you have enough to lock up a pump your engine is already finished. I used the old Z pumps nothing more then a different spring in them. Can they still be used no doubt, but it's like cars improved a bunch over the last 60 years and oil improved remember when no such thing as synthetic oils, no such thing as multi vicosity oil. I figure over the last 60 years the lowly oil pump they have been able to improve on them.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

One of my friends used to turn down/grind an A N washer OD to fit in the hole and shim the stock spring. I am not sure of the hole size.
It seemed to be just the right amount of thickness 1/16 of an inch.