Powerglide Transbrake

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Powerglide Transbrake

Post by cgarb »

Does anyone have any information on how to build a powerglide bracket style transbrake? I have read the book by TSR Transmission and seen how they build their Pro Tree style brakes and am aware of the kits they sell to do so. I don't want to have to push the button for reverse, I am bracket racing with a delay box so I don't need every thousandth of a second on my vehicle reaction time. I have plenty of valve bodies, I talked to ATI and BTE both and they won't just build me 1 if I send a core. They told me they do them in batches and don't know when they will get enough cores to do another batch.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
Re: Powerglide Transbrake

Post by Dragsinger »

I think you can find a someone who sells a kit, keep calling any trans builder you can find. Or check Racing junk for a used valve body.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Re: Powerglide Transbrake

Post by Rick! »

Maybe wire the reverse light switch to power the brake. Backing up with partial pressure on the band is one method eliminate reverse after a while.
Also, don't apply the trans brake when rolling. That's a good way to bend/break the link and your car will roll backwards out of the beams when on the button.