6-rotor Wankel

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

6-rotor Wankel

Post by Circlotron »

No show car, this one. Definitely giving it a boot full. One wonders just how many slices you could ultimately stack together.

https://youtu.be/a5WnD52YLOg
stealth
Guru
Guru
Re: 6-rotor Wankel

Post by stealth »

Always liked these engines...although they do sound awful. lol

Had an Rx7 years ago. Thought the same thing, how many could you stack.. thinking at least 8 would be nice.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

stealth wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:30 am Always liked these engines...although they do sound awful. lol
Always was impressed by the power per pound per cube, but they used a lot of fuel to do so and yes, made the gnastiest sound ever from an ICE; set one's teeth on edge.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Street cars running Wankels sound like outboard 2-strokes to my ear, about the lousiest of all ICE's, and unmuffled racers are atrociously loud. Quite surprised to learn they have some meaningful mass as well, a local last generation RX-7 makes a fine circuit racer with engine swapped out for an LS variant.

Cheers
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

As with any topic, opinions vary.

Absolute music to my ears.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

The engine is a marvel of engineering.

Wish I could find the video I watched on it. Basically was going to save Mazda from going out of business.

Wonder how it would work on E85 or some other alternate fuel... Some way to make it more emission friendly and gain favor in the automotive world again.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

chimpvalet wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm Street cars running Wankels sound like outboard 2-strokes to my ear, about the lousiest of all ICE's, and unmuffled racers are atrociously loud. Quite surprised to learn they have some meaningful mass as well, a local last generation RX-7 makes a fine circuit racer with engine swapped out for an LS variant.

Cheers
They sound like a formula 1 to me. I find the comparison to a two stroke interesting. A late 90's 200 hp Mercury weighs 425 lb. with a 50+ lb. lower unit attached. 200 hp at a whopping 5800 rpm. It would seem that almost all Wankel and modern two stroke engines would qualify what we call "high performance"
So much to do, so little time...
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

stealth wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:46 am Some way to make it more emission friendly and gain favor in the automotive world again.
It's happening, currently. Mazda has made some tweaks for increased durability and BSFC. They're coming back in a Hybrid configuration.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Wetflow wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:58 pm As with any topic, opinions vary.

Absolute music to my ears.
Actually I have to admit, this one is about the best sounding I've ever heard. The high RPM guys gotta love it... Yes' does sound F1 ish.

Now .. add anther two rotors and maybe ... just maybe.. I''m in.. .lol
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

stealth wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 am Now .. add anther two rotors and maybe ... just maybe.. I''m in.. .lol
It goes without saying, as shaft length increases torsional rigidity decreases. This 6 rotor arraignment may be starting to push the practical limits.

Now imagine a mid-engine design whereby the real wheels are driven from one end of the crankshaft and the front wheels are driven from other end.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Torsional rigidity be dammed... I want to hear 8 rotors sing....
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Imo more doesn't always sound better
I think inline 3, 6 and v6 sound like dogs shit
But I love singles, twins, 4, 5, 8, and 10
12 depends

I think 3 and 4 rotors are where it's at soundwise
https://youtu.be/D8K9RGUF3Bo
https://youtu.be/04uhsLqKwF8

https://youtu.be/6VClDdIhW70
https://youtu.be/WSCX9IBtCDI
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Way back in '73 that's all my auto shop teacher could talk about was the new GM Wankel engine. I see now later in life how well that worked out for GM.
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

chimpvalet wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm Street cars running Wankels sound like outboard 2-strokes to my ear, about the lousiest of all ICE's, and unmuffled racers are atrociously loud. Quite surprised to learn they have some meaningful mass as well, a local last generation RX-7 makes a fine circuit racer with engine swapped out for an LS variant.

Cheers
All that noise is wasted energy. Wankels are an abomination thermally and BMEP, though quite light and compact - and I raced them for years.

A 13 B Mazda is a 3.9 litre 4 cycle, single stroke engine and a really good one struggles to make 300 hp.

They are no better than a side valver in many respects- and that may be harsh on the side valve.