Ford announce plans to return to F1 from the 2026 season

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Wetflow

Re: Ford announce plans to return to F1 from the 2026 season

Post by Wetflow »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:26 am Hello Wetflow, what does the ( e ) on the left side of Methanol represent ? Mark H.
Mark H, sorry for the delay.

eMethanol is methanol synthesized by binding hydrogen (from electrolysis) and CO2 (typically from waste from industry) to create a truly renewable hydrocarbon fuel that produces very low emissions.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

superpursuit wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:16 pm
Mummert wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:36 pm The Aurora was built in England. The engine is probably most related and inspired by the 2.0l pinto than anything. 4.016" bore centers, 8.169" deck height, bore and stroke were slightly different, but nothing that couldn't be overcome if you were gonna go that far. Aurora 4.0l 93mmx73mm 2.0 pinto was 91mm x 75mm
I had an Aurora Indy head bolted up to a 2.0L pinto block with some deck work at one time. We were looking at the concept of building a 4 cylinder R&D engine for INDY teams that could be developed for 1/2 price. When the engine got destroked to 3.5L it threw many of the lower budget teams for a loop.
If you wanted to try a new header, cams, piston etc.. you would only need 1/2 the parts to try it.

How does 2mm more bore and 2 mm less stroke make the Aurora engine 2X the capacity of the Pinto.
(Aurora 4.0L, Pinto 2.0L).

Thanks, Allan.
The aurora was a v8
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

hoodeng wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:49 am Although, i have always wondered how they could fund the participation's, and lifestyle's from selling what is essentially a hand full of cars per year [just over 11K 2021]regardless of price.
Italian money, much like a lot of Eastern Europe, seems to flow around the constraints of basic economics. :wink:

That being said, Ferrari has been very successfully branding merchandise, essentially forever. From sunglasses to shoes, underwear to umbrellas. Watches too. Without all of the merch, they may folded long ago. Or at least been more heavily subsidized.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Wetflow wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:26 am
swampbuggy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:26 am Hello Wetflow, what does the ( e ) on the left side of Methanol represent ? Mark H.
Mark H, sorry for the delay.

eMethanol is methanol synthesized by binding hydrogen (from electrolysis) and CO2 (typically from waste from industry) to create a truly renewable hydrocarbon fuel that produces very low emissions.
Latest I've heard is that the petroleum industry and collaborators are at work on extracting CO2 from the atmosphere from which to synthesize ICE fuels. Seems altogether probable given the need both to draw down atmospheric carbon and to supply engines, the majority of which must inescapably continue to be IC for decades to come.
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

chimpvalet wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:53 pm Latest I've heard is that the petroleum industry and collaborators are at work on extracting CO2 from the atmosphere from which to synthesize ICE fuels. Seems altogether probable given the need both to draw down atmospheric carbon and to supply engines, the majority of which must inescapably continue to be IC for decades to come.
This is true. However, the current focus is to capture the CO2 from factory emissions so it doesn't need to get pulled from the atmosphere later.

ICE development moves at a snails pace, IN THIS COUNTRY, due to the auto manufacturer and oil lobbies who don't want change. All of this is driven by the shareholders. If the EPA wasn't holding these groups' feet to the fire we'd still be getting new cars with carburetors and no cats.

We could/should have had 100hp/liter clean burning ICEs decades ago.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Funny thing happened in the seventies, Formula Ford took off here as a breeder category to bigger things. The engine used was the English Ford Kent engine.
The factory across the road from my parents home was building a batch of these open wheeler's and sourced new engines from Ford Australia for the project. The engines were allowed to be blue printed so were stripped down to complete this process. One thing they found early in the piece was the cams did not quite have the specs they were designed to have, so back to Ford and get new cores that could be worked with. All the cores were slightly undersize in their new cast state at that time so all had been ground under spec.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Mummert wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:36 pm The Aurora was built in England. The engine is probably most related and inspired by the 2.0l pinto than anything. 4.016" bore centers, 8.169" deck height, bore and stroke were slightly different, but nothing that couldn't be overcome if you were gonna go that far. Aurora 4.0l 93mmx73mm 2.0 pinto was 91mm x 75mm
I had an Aurora Indy head bolted up to a 2.0L pinto block with some deck work at one time. We were looking at the concept of building a 4 cylinder R&D engine for INDY teams that could be developed for 1/2 price. When the engine got destroked to 3.5L it threw many of the lower budget teams for a loop.
If you wanted to try a new header, cams, piston etc.. you would only need 1/2 the parts to try it.

How does 2mm more bore and 2 mm less stroke make the Aurora engine 2X the capacity of the Pinto.

Thanks, Allan.
Yeah 2.0 pinto is closer to 91 X 77
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

englertracing wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:34 am

Thanks, Allan.
The aurora was a v8
Thank you englertracing. This explains the size difference.

Allan.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

hoodeng wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:49 am I looked up about the unequal distribution of prize money in regards to Ferrari's "Historic advantage" ,giving them a greater percentage per win of the prize pool. This seems to have been in place for a very long time.[not that i agree with it].
Or is the 100 million Euro on top of that distribution? I could find no reference to that stipend as a individual on top bonus payment for participation only.

If Ferrari found themselves season on season sniffing the fields fumes from the other end of the grid after a race, i would think they would knock back the bonus and participation first before bringing their brand name into discredit.

Although, i have always wondered how they could fund the participation's, and lifestyle's from selling what is essentially a hand full of cars per year [just over 11K 2021]regardless of price.
I still respect their persistence.
Regarding Ferrari's capital. Yes, they get the biggest cut of the F1 prize money, regardless of where they place. Based on their historic standing. All the long standing teams get bigger cuts. Very unfair!!! I've followed F1, since 1959.

Ferrari hasn't been owned, solely by the family, since 1969. Fiat bought 50%, at that time. My opinion of that, is because Ford put so much pressure on them with Ford's LeMans program, that it probably brought them close to Bankruptcy.

Fiat increased it's holdings to 90% in '88 and a Abu Dhabi interest owns the other 10%

Ferrari, will be around as long as Fiat is solvent. If Fiat can't handle it, I'm sure the Abu Dhabi guys, maybe with help from other Arabs, will take over.

Regarding Ford/Cosworth, from '66 to '80 Cosworth was supported by Ford, and many of the Cosworth designs were owned by Ford and named as Ford engines under similar contracts. Ford bought the Cosworth racing engine division in '98 and then sold it to Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven, of CART fame, in Nov 2004.

Ford is still Ford, as it's been since 1904. With a long standing participation in F1 and Indy Cars BUT, I do not like the way their politics are going lately!!!