Blowby issue

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Matt80
Blowby issue

Post by Matt80 »

Hi, a customer many hundreds miles ago decided to move further away under the car the crank vapours breather, using a very small and long rubber hose that got immediately blocked.
After some time he took the car to me because it was missfiring and knocking.
Long story short, I discovered his mods to the brether and restored its functionality, but was still getting some knocks that i suspect they came from dirty stuck and clogged rings.
Some thinner through the plugs holes did make the knock to disappear, but is there any better liquid/method to restore full rings job without opening the engine?
Thanks
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Blowby issue

Post by mag2555 »

The first and simplest and cheapest thing I would try is to replace one Qt of oil with a non synthetic automatic trans fluid and then put 50 miles on the car while trying to keep the rpm's somewhat above 2000.

If that seems to work out then change the oil and the filter plus add a can of engine restore additive .

It's sold in 4,6 and 8 cylinder size cans.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

I'll try, thanks
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Matt80 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:50 am Hi, a customer many hundreds miles ago decided to move further away under the car the crank vapours breather, using a very small and long rubber hose that got immediately blocked.
After some time he took the car to me because it was missfiring and knocking.
Long story short, I discovered his mods to the brether and restored its functionality, but was still getting some knocks that i suspect they came from dirty stuck and clogged rings.
Some thinner through the plugs holes did make the knock to disappear, but is there any better liquid/method to restore full rings job without opening the engine?
Thanks
No, you're guessing at what's going on, so he had an oil burner and modified the breather ??? It's still an oil burner.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Take it apart and find out WHY it's got a lot of blow by....because that's a ring seal issue, and if it's bad enough to plug a hose, the issue is pretty serious....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

My standard diagnosis is to do a cranking compression check, and cylinder leak down, you must first identify the ability of the engine to compress air, and contain compression, before trying anything else. I have a customer who a couple times has brought me an engine and it is not running right, it is always I think it is the carbs, and it never is. Last time I got out my cylinder leak tester he commented, now it is going to cost me a lot of money.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Best method to clean the combustion chamber is to drizzle a urine-stream of water down the primary carb venturis, or the throttle body, with the engine fully warmed-up and running at ~2000 rpm. If the engine begins to misfire, reduce the amount of water until it recovers. This steam-cleans the piston top and cylinder head/valve heads. I use a gallon of water. Probably need to change oil afterwards, to remove moisture from blow-by.

For freeing stuck rings, I use GM Top Engine Cleaner (TEC).
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-3015- ... Q8FVX324VA
(Prices vary, shop around.)

Warm up engine, remove spark plugs, dump about four ounces of TEC through each of the plug holes. Screw the plugs back in loosely. Crank engine by hand two revolutions. Let it sit overnight. Remove plugs, crank engine with starter, install plugs and run the engine. It'll smoke like mad--make sure the neighbors don't call the fire department on you. Repeat if needed. Again--do this before an oil change so the solvented gunk on the rings, and the TEC residue that trickles past the rings, is removed from the engine.

Yes, compression test, leakdown test, videoscope down the plug hole to visually confirm no cylinder scoring, are all worthwhile diagnostic procedures.
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

Tom68 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:02 am
No, you're guessing at what's going on, so he had an oil burner and modified the breather ??? It's still an oil burner.
Coloradoracer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:25 am Take it apart and find out WHY it's got a lot of blow by....because that's a ring seal issue, and if it's bad enough to plug a hose, the issue is pretty serious....
rebelrouser wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:52 am My standard diagnosis is to do a cranking compression check, and cylinder leak down, you must first identify the ability of the engine to compress air, and contain compression, before trying anything else. I have a customer who a couple times has brought me an engine and it is not running right, it is always I think it is the carbs, and it never is. Last time I got out my cylinder leak tester he commented, now it is going to cost me a lot of money.
I already did leak down and compression tests, that's why I pointed over blocked rings due to oil vapours going through rings and not to atmo.
Crank case gasses are a mixture mainly of water with some oil and fuel that's going to product a "cream" that will likely block ANY small and horizontal long hose under the car.
And that's exactly what happened.
How I know?
Because detonation reduced a lot after making the oil vapours to atmo working again,
and because detonation DISAPPEARED as soon as I filled the cyls with any sort of fluid and acid I got around to clean the rings' lands.
So back to my question, is there any magic liquid that has the exact purpose of perfectly cleaning ring lands from cooked oil?
Thanks
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

Schurkey wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:26 pm Best method to clean the combustion chamber is to drizzle a urine-stream of water down the primary carb venturis, or the throttle body, with the engine fully warmed-up and running at ~2000 rpm. If the engine begins to misfire, reduce the amount of water until it recovers. This steam-cleans the piston top and cylinder head/valve heads. I use a gallon of water. Probably need to change oil afterwards, to remove moisture from blow-by.

For freeing stuck rings, I use GM Top Engine Cleaner (TEC).
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-3015- ... Q8FVX324VA
(Prices vary, shop around.)

Warm up engine, remove spark plugs, dump about four ounces of TEC through each of the plug holes. Screw the plugs back in loosely. Crank engine by hand two revolutions. Let it sit overnight. Remove plugs, crank engine with starter, install plugs and run the engine. It'll smoke like mad--make sure the neighbors don't call the fire department on you. Repeat if needed. Again--do this before an oil change so the solvented gunk on the rings, and the TEC residue that trickles past the rings, is removed from the engine.

Yes, compression test, leakdown test, videoscope down the plug hole to visually confirm no cylinder scoring, are all worthwhile diagnostic procedures.
Thanks, will buy it !