Looking for Shops that Weld/Stroke Crankshafts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mngforce
Re: Looking for Shops that Weld/Stroke Crankshafts

Post by mngforce »

vortecpro wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 pm
mngforce wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm
englertracing wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:22 pm He was sick with covid in the hospital last year, last I heard he pulled through and the shop was to reopen
Oh crap. Now that the number has been changed, and I can't find a new one, that's not a good sign.
Just curious, why don't you want to try Electronic Chrome?
I reached out to them. They don't do stroking
mngforce

Post by mngforce »

mngforce wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:41 pm
mngforce wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm Oh crap. Now that the number has been changed, and I can't find a new one, that's not a good sign.
I reached out to them. They don't do stroking
Or was that a different shop? Anyway, I have reached out to everyone you guys mentioned. Either nobody will help, or can't....so far
mngforce

Post by mngforce »

mngforce wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm
englertracing wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:22 pm He was sick with covid in the hospital last year, last I heard he pulled through and the shop was to reopen
Oh crap. Now that the number has been changed, and I can't find a new one, that's not a good sign.
He just responded that he doesn't have the time.

Iv'e tried CCR, Marine, APE, ECG, Castillo's, and Performance Crankshafts. Also, Illinois Crankshafts. Nobody can do it in reasonable time. Any more ideas?

Mike Norman
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

mngforce wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:07 pmIv'e tried CCR, Marine, APE, ECG, Castillo's, and Performance Crankshafts. Also, Illinois Crankshafts. Nobody can do it in reasonable time. Any more ideas?

Mike Norman
Hi, Mike,

We've got a crank welding machine and a crankshaft grinder for sale. Since there's so much demand and no supply, maybe consider going into it?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Joe Castillo is only taking on work for the most part from previous customers.So until he gets someone to help him with this type of work it would be a waste of time even calling him.
mngforce

Post by mngforce »

1972ho wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:24 pm Joe Castillo is only taking on work for the most part from previous customers.So until he gets someone to help him with this type of work it would be a waste of time even calling him.
ARGH!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock: :shock: :shock: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

Try Shaftech
results speak for themselves
mngforce

Post by mngforce »

I cannot believe there is nobody that can do these cranks.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

mngforce wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 pm I cannot believe there is nobody that can do these cranks.
There are still many crank shops who could produce a welded stroker; there are few who choose to do so any longer.

Current economics is making craft work unprofitable. My custom paint and body guy of thirty years now just does insurance panel swapping. Much more profitable. Insurance work ratchets up automatically every year with inflation. Every custom job must be negotiated with an individual who may not have kept up with costs; he still wants it at last-century pricing.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mngforce

Post by mngforce »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:11 pm
mngforce wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 pm I cannot believe there is nobody that can do these cranks.
There are still many crank shops who could produce a welded stroker; there are few who choose to do so any longer.

Current economics is making craft work unprofitable. My custom paint and body guy of thirty years now just does insurance panel swapping. Much more profitable. Insurance work ratchets up automatically every year with inflation. Every custom job must be negotiated with an individual who may not have kept up with costs; he still wants it at last-century pricing.
Yeah. If I were smart, I would do the same. This economy is brutal...and only getting started with the brutality. But, I'm not smart I guess.