air cleaners best worst?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Scott

Re: air cleaners best worst?

Post by Scott »

Just received my new R2C CFD Dyno Testing kit & a fixed 2''" drop down base with there premium filter.
Can't wait to test !
Its a premium product....
Scott
Australia
herman81
r2c air cleaner cfd 4150

Post by herman81 »

How much horsepower does your application make Scott?

Let us know which one worked best on your engine. Also, do you have a filter part number?

Herm
MODNROD
Pro
Pro

Post by MODNROD »

Going on the assumption that "sideways in" isn't imperative for Holleys, and the SF airflow is the best, has anyone tested these filter options for Holleys, either dyno or strip?

Hood clearance isn't a factor, just wishing to know if they flow as well as the decent 14" and OEM bases.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=58-1190

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=RU-5109

I have plenty of height, but only just barely 9" width......maybe! Either of these would solve packaging issues well.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Herman81,
312cuin Ford . 672Hp 7900RPM Endurance Racing engine..
I'll check out the Air Filter part number..
Another great feature with the Filter is the stepped in/out rubber mount ! this offsets the filter media away from the 2'' drop down bases another 1'' ( More Horizontal clearance between filter media & drop down base).
Scott
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Has anyone done testing to see if remote filters (often in airboxes) have an advantage over filters mounted directly next to the carb? You could assume that both systems to be compared have the same cold air entry point.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
herman81

Post by herman81 »

Thanks Scott.

Those KN filters and stack didn't work out well on a 355" Chevy we ran.

The remote filter could only offer an advantage if the restriction decrease would more than offset what is created in the tract between the filter and carburetor. In some cases, it's possible in my opinion.
BBCFAN

Post by BBCFAN »

Researching 4500 drop base filer setups. Holly has several be they fail to list what the actual drop is. I am ok using a 16-inch filter setup. I am trying hard to not have to resort to a body lift or a hood scoop on my pulling truck. Does anyone have a part number for a 4500-based large drop filter base?
norm

Post by norm »

BBCFAN wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:48 pm Researching 4500 drop base filer setups. Holly has several be they fail to list what the actual drop is. I am ok using a 16-inch filter setup. I am trying hard to not have to resort to a body lift or a hood scoop on my pulling truck. Does anyone have a part number for a 4500-based large drop filter base?
I have this one i believe but i don't use their element just the air cleaner

https://www.knfilters.com/60-1640-round ... r-assembly
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Engine Masters had done dyno testing of air cleaner assemblies. The K&N filter top lost power until the air filter was taped up on the sides and used just the top for a filter. As I recall the best was a salad bowl with the bottom cut out for the carb neck.

I had learned previously the filter top was not a gain.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

SupStk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:23 pm Engine Masters had done dyno testing of air cleaner assemblies. The K&N filter top lost power until the air filter was taped up on the sides and used just the top for a filter. As I recall the best was a salad bowl with the bottom cut out for the carb neck.

I had learned previously the filter top was not a gain.
I told my wife about that after watching that episode. she said, "if you ever use my salad bowls for that, you're eating off the floor" :lol:
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

BBCFAN wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:48 pm Researching 4500 drop base filer setups. Holly has several be they fail to list what the actual drop is. I am ok using a 16-inch filter setup. I am trying hard to not have to resort to a body lift or a hood scoop on my pulling truck. Does anyone have a part number for a 4500-based large drop filter base?
Have a look at these guys........

https://www.universalspinners.com/custo ... ilters.php
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

This place has been around since at least the early 90's... and their website hasn't really changed. lol
However, I as well as some of my friends have used their stuff, and have been very happy. A variety of nice Ram-Air boxs/designs, along with various bases and lids available.

https://ramairbox.com/

Good Luck
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

Mind if I jump on this bandwagon..? What's everyone using for tunnel rams nowadays....

421 sbc, braswell carbs, 750ish HP, 7500rpm..... Infinite amount of hood clearance..

I like the oval r2c cleaner but I hear they're useless now? Do I go for two 9" x 5"..? I like the big ovals, but want to try avoid spending $600 on one from rbs superchargers...