A different look at in cylinder airflow

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

A different look at in cylinder airflow

Post by Mummert »

This was our first attempt at wet flow. We did get much better at it. It became apparent to me that even though there was little wet flow data here there was a good look at the kind direction and intensity that creates swirl. Its more than just an RPM number.
https://youtu.be/l0e4My1Gzi8
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Re: A different look at in cylinder airflow

Post by Mummert »

Man this a tough crowd, try a different view

https://youtu.be/ohzhPa3_97Y
Mummert Y-blocks
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Love the first video. 😂
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Mummert wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:52 pm Man this a tough crowd, try a different view

https://youtu.be/ohzhPa3_97Y
Looking at that you can see why open chambers got a run decades back.
Although I imagine a hot combustion chamber roof would see a different outcome.
Last edited by Tom68 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

I had a Mondello stand alone unit for a few years. It was a cumbersome, PIA, difficult, unit..

I used it. I compared what I was seeing vs alcohol/dykem. I shipped it down the road.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:12 pm I had a Mondello stand alone unit for a few years. It was a cumbersome, PIA, difficult, unit..

I used it. I compared what I was seeing vs alcohol/dykem. I shipped it down the road.
Chad,
I remember Darin Morgan saying they fixed spark plug wetting with the wet flow bench,did you have any discoveries with the wet bench?
I have wondered how much influence atmospheric pressure has on the fluid coming around valve into an open area when wet testing.
I could see myself getting confused quickly on a wet bench and going down a rabbit hole,at least on my dry bench I can't see the air only what pitot shows but have to be careful there also.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:55 pm
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:12 pm I had a Mondello stand alone unit for a few years. It was a cumbersome, PIA, difficult, unit..

Chad,
I remember Darin Morgan saying they fixed spark plug wetting with the wet flow bench,did you have any discoveries with the wet bench?
I have wondered how much influence atmospheric pressure has on the fluid coming around valve into an open area when wet testing.
I could see myself getting confused quickly on a wet bench and going down a rabbit hole,at least on my dry bench I can't see the air only what pitot shows but have to be careful there also.
Overload is an understatement with a wet flow bench.. Darin helped me understand what I was seeing, so I had a good teacher.

I learned more about valve jobs and short sides.

I will just leave this here. Darin said this was a working perfect short side. Everything you want/need. It's hard to do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

Use a propane torch. Look at flame. Way easier.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Its not so much about where A or B is going but that they are going there together as a cohesive unit.
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:59 pm

Chad,
Overload is an understatement with a wet flow bench.. Darin helped me understand what I was seeing, so I had a good teacher.

I learned more about valve jobs and short sides.

I will just leave this here. Darin said this was a working perfect short side. Everything you want/need. It's hard to do!
The floor vein looks like it helps keeping things attached
Mummert Y-blocks
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

williamsmotowerx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:12 pm Use a propane torch. Look at flame. Way easier.
That will help you see the swirl, but not what the fuel is doing.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Chad,
We found almost 60 horsepower in a 355 Chevy engine burning alcohol with 18 degree heads by simply changing the chamber shape to keep the spark plug tip dry.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.