Big shout out to David Vizard and Terry Walters of TWPS

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

70imp355
Big shout out to David Vizard and Terry Walters of TWPS

Post by 70imp355 »

Just wanted to let you all know I had a cam done by David Vizard and Terry Walters an there were a few guys I trust as well that have done cams for me before, Mike Jones for one, who I highly respect and Chris Straub as well. I had asked both for a custom cam spec that they said would be an optimum street performance cam giving all details on my engine and both were almost identical Jones said a 240/243 @ .050 600/577 lift with 1.6 rockers, on a 108, Straub said a 240/244 @ .050 600/570 lift with 1.6 and 108 as well. Even bullet was pretty close to their specs and I decided to share the specs of my new cam with them which was 236/242 110 lobes sep and Jones said it didnt sound right tht he would rather see it on a 108 and tht the big split didnt seem nessissary with the high exhaust flow but it wasnt horrible. I had it but it just didnt feel right but i figured it was just cus i had to do more tuning so no prob.

Bout a week ago I saw David Vizard on here and so I pmed him and asked his thoughts and the first thing he said was "that cam is not right for your combo." To which I said funny cus you speced it. So he contacted Terry and then spent an hour on the phone with me a few days ago going over everything. An today he had me call him this morning, we went through the whole combo and plugged in all the numbers and he said yep something got mixed up. He thinks I got someone elses cam, that there was a mix up cus the specs the program spit out were right up there with Jones and Straub. He told me that those guys know their stuff and he was usually within a degree or two on dur and within half degree on lobe sep. He was looking through his stuff and since he had speced this while in australia he had called in the specs and said he probably gave terry the specs to someone elses combo to him for mine. No problem we are all human and make mistakes so I asked him what we could do to rectify it.

Without any hesitation he said well I owe you a cam and so since i have put on a few hundred on this cam I told him i would cease driving it and im sure he will get the new one as soon as he can to me. So just wanted to say a big thank you and how impressed with both Terry Walters and David Vizard, by how they stepped up to the plate and are helping make this right. To me thats what makes a good company not that if u make a mistake ....... we are all human an it happens ..... but how u handle it when u find out you made one. I even offered to pay for it or half and he said no you paid already and shoulda gotten this cam at the beginning, it was just a miscommunication between either he and Terry or maybe something got miscommunicated between comp and Terry. Regardless shows a lot to admit you made a mistake, he easily coulda said nope thats the right cam.

So anyone looking for a good cam I wouldnt hesitate to recommend the 3 best in the biz

David Vizard and Terry Walters TWPS http://waltersengines.com/

Mike Jones Jones cams http://jonescams.com/cam-recommendation/

Chris Straub Straub Technologies http://www.straubtechnologies.com/
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Big shout out to David Vizard and Terry Walters of TWPS

Post by Carnut1 »

Since it will be apart I would love to see this combo with a modified dual plane with most of the divider in and a huge carb. Think 1000 cfm of more!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
70imp355

Post by 70imp355 »

well i have a thoughly ported rpm air gap with matching 1 in open spacer and it only has like 1/2 of divider still in already to go back on it flows 288 low and 308 high and it started off at 218 and 223 high so its flowing lots more. I have a BLP 750 billet weekend warrior that flows 960 cfm according to the flow sheet whoch will go back on with it.

Im thinking the tighter lobe sep will really wake this engine
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

70imp355 wrote:well i have a thoughly ported rpm air gap with matching 1 in open spacer and it only has like 1/2 of divider still in already to go back on it flows 288 low and 308 high and it started off at 218 and 223 high so its flowing lots more. I have a BLP 750 billet weekend warrior that flows 960 cfm according to the flow sheet whoch will go back on with it.

Im thinking the tighter lobe sep will really wake this engine
That is a really nice match for your heads. The spacer I like best for a high torque heavy car / truck application is a custom tapered 1"that keeps the plenums divided. I use that on a ported holley manifold fed from a ported 900 cfm holley tbi on a 355 in a 5800lb work truck. Torque everywhere.
631-816-4911
70imp355

Post by 70imp355 »

Sounds like a fun work truck for sure
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

70imp355 wrote:Sounds like a fun work truck for sure
Thanks, it is. My buddy sent me a message the other day. "I was at the 7/11 walking to my car and I hear a badass muscle car, I look up and it's you in the old truck!"
631-816-4911
70imp355

Post by 70imp355 »

nothing wrong with the look of an old truck and the performance of a muscle car haha.

Looks like David is having health issues so be nice for everyone to keep him in your prays such a good guy hes gone through a lot lately with the loss of his 18 yr old daughter last year got to be hard. Hope all gets better David.
70imp355

Post by 70imp355 »

cstraub wrote:Chris,
Thank you for the kind words.
Course Chris your a valuable contribution to all threads and very well respected and liked
USMC_Spike
Pro
Pro

Post by USMC_Spike »

Lucky you. I didn't have such luck with either of these guys.

Especially Terry Walters who did the bait and switch on me
even after I paid up front for my AED custom carb for my engine.

Engine was supposed to have HEI with vacuum advance along with
the AED Carb was supposed to also have Vacuum ports from the
Manifold.

I got MSD Distributor, no HEI, and they gave me a Holley 950 Ultra HP,
with known drivability Issues.

Trying to find specs for engine, cam, heads, valves, etc has been a continuous
disaster.
Here was Terry Walters confirming advanced payment/deposit for my AED Carb
he kept and refused to send it to me.
FOUND: new improved smaller non-ricer pic
USMC_Spike
Pro
Pro

Post by USMC_Spike »

Lucky you. I didn't have such luck with either of these guys.

Manifold.

disaster.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=66587
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

USMC_Spike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:17 pm Lucky you. I didn't have such luck with either of these guys.

Manifold.

disaster.
What did you pay to get the DV specs? lol. Not laughing at you, just the idea of his arrogance. Also, doesn't surprise me with the ethics, it's happened before . Also, whatever you were told it would make, subtract 10%. Not a fan.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
USMC_Spike
Pro
Pro

Post by USMC_Spike »

My intent isn't bash anyone, but gee wizz, holy cow, payed plenty of $$$ 5 figures and the only phone call I got, was
when I went to BBB. But after they said my case was too late, neither DV nor TW gave me the time of day.

In DV books he talked about TWs calibrated dyno. TW says his dyno isn't calibrated. go figure.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Bigchief632 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:35 am
USMC_Spike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:17 pm Lucky you. I didn't have such luck with either of these guys.

Manifold.

disaster.
What did you pay to get the DV specs? lol. Not laughing at you, just the idea of his arrogance. Also, doesn't surprise me with the ethics, it's happened before . Also, whatever you were told it would make, subtract 10%. Not a fan.
Big Chief, do you even know DV? Have you ever had any dealings with him?

Personally I can say he has given me a roller cam, a set of heads, a new Dominator carb, his original cam program as well as many other spread sheets for my applications, many hours of his time, his 1981 Trans Am from the 1983 Popular Hotrodding magazine, named me in his porting book just to name a few, I have never met him in person.

He has never asked me for a penny and has refused any money I have offered.

Big Chief do you require payment for the job you do or do you work for free?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

GARY C wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:27 am

Manifold.

disaster.

Personally I can say he has given me a roller cam, a set of heads, a new Dominator carb, his original cam program as well as many other spread sheets for my applications, many hours of his time, his 1981 Trans Am from the 1983 Popular Hotrodding magazine, named me in his porting book just to name a few, I have never met him in person.

Should have separated the comments. As far as the ethics relating to TWP and the happy dyno. The info is out there, and like I said, it's not the first time it's happened. Also, if he paid for him to spec his build, to pick parts out of a catalog? Wouldn't TWP do that as part of the build process? Shouldn't he know what pistons, rings, crank, bearings, etc etc, to use? He's supposedly and ex Pro Stock engine builder, has a shop, and has has been at the engine building business for decades, you'd think he'd know? And a guy wouldn't have to pay to get an engine specced by a guy that isn't even building it? Also, I just made a comment to someone that got screwed by both of them, it's not my story.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Bigchief632 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 am
GARY C wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:27 am

Should have separated the comments. As far as the ethics relating to TWP and the happy dyno. The info is out there, and like I said, it's not the first time it's happened. Also, if he paid for him to spec his build, to pick parts out of a catalog? Wouldn't TWP do that as part of the build process? Shouldn't he know what pistons, rings, crank, bearings, etc etc, to use? He's supposedly and ex Pro Stock engine builder, has a shop, and has has been at the engine building business for decades, you'd think he'd know? And a guy wouldn't have to pay to get an engine specced by a guy that isn't even building it? Also, I just made a comment to someone that got screwed by both of them, it's not my story.
I can't speak to someone else's deal, I have only dealt with Terry on 3 occasions, twice on parts and once on a valve job and all went as discussed.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!