1936 Nash OHV I6 Pistons

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: 1936 Nash OHV I6 Pistons

Post by PackardV8 »

For true. Sometimes JE, et al, can do custom forgings for obsolete engines, sometimes not. Usually, when they can't make something, it's due to the tall compression height some older engines have. Their forged slugs of that diameter aren't long enough.

Totally OT, but just recently I was disassembling a Packard V8 and found one Federal Mogul forged piston and seven OEM cast pistons. No one in the Packard community to whom I've spoken has ever seen or heard of F-M forged pistons for our V8. Back in the day, one could order a single piston or a set. Try to order a single today and get laughed at.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro
Re: 1936 Nash OHV I6 Pistons

Post by Daniel Jones »

As far as the original type pistons go, it turns out ring sets are available for the common over-sizes of the 252.6 CID OHV 6. Also, the Nash club has pistons and rings for 234.8 CID OHV 6 in standard and oversize. It's only the standard bore 252.6 that you can't get rings for. That said, I'd still opt for custom pistons with a modern ring pack, if possible. Especially with these high piston speed, long stroke engines. Looking for rings in the right sizes first is a good tip. Thanks!