Original stock valve angles

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Ratu
Expert
Expert
Original stock valve angles

Post by Ratu »

I am interested in getting hold of some information pertaining to the Pontiac, Buick and Oldsmobile "big block" wedge engines. My understanding is that these engines had all their valves in-line and parallel, just as a small block Chevrolet engine does. I have been trying to find out what the valve angle was for each of them. There is plenty of literature which confirms the Chevrolet small block engine inclines its valves at 23 degrees. I've read that the Buick Stage 2 heads used for Indy car racing had valves inclined at 10 degrees and that the "Buick" head for the small block Chevrolet used for NASCAR also had its valves at 10 degrees. But what of the others? What angle were their valves at? All I've located is mention that the Oldsmobile engines were using a 6 degree valve inclination (can that be correct?).

Does anyone know what the valve angle for the Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac engines were?

Thanks for your help.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Original stock valve angles

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Ratu wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:00 am I am interested in getting hold of some information pertaining to the Pontiac, Buick and Oldsmobile "big block" wedge engines. My understanding is that these engines had all their valves in-line and parallel, just as a small block Chevrolet engine does. I have been trying to find out what the valve angle was for each of them. There is plenty of literature which confirms the Chevrolet small block engine inclines its valves at 23 degrees. I've read that the Buick Stage 2 heads used for Indy car racing had valves inclined at 10 degrees and that the "Buick" head for the small block Chevrolet used for NASCAR also had its valves at 10 degrees. But what of the others? What angle were their valves at? All I've located is mention that the Oldsmobile engines were using a 6 degree valve inclination (can that be correct?).

Does anyone know what the valve angle for the Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac engines were?

Thanks for your help.
If I remember correctly ...
Buick is 10 degrees;
Pontiac had changed valve angles sometime in the sixties from 18 degrees to 15 degrees.
Yes ... Oldsmobile valve angles are 6 degrees. That is the main reason it was chosen by GM to be their automotive diesel engine.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Pontiac used 17* until 1966, & then 14* from 1967.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:09 am Pontiac used 17* until 1966, & then 14* from 1967.
OK ... my memory must be wrong by a degree on the Pontiacs.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

OK. So we have Chevrolet small block (original/standard form) at 23 degrees. Oldsmobile is a confirmed 6 degrees. Pontiac was 17 degrees originally but then they went over to 14 degrees after 1966. Apart from their race engines at 10 degrees I am uncertain what the Buick engines were.

I've searched about for information for Buick but all I've found is that the Buick Stage 2 Track Eliminator head is 14 degrees. This is an after market race head though. What of the heads Buick themselves manufactured? Does anyone know their valve angle?

Thank you all for your knowledge & advice.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.cp-carrillo.com/file/6981-The+Forgotten+Buick.pdf wrote:The CNC Edelbrock Performer RPM
heads were developed in-house at CPCarrillo.
These cylinder heads were one of
the main advantages of the Buick engine,
being primarily designed to the larger 455-
cube engine application. The heads retained
Edelbrock’s generous stock valve sizes of
2.125-inch intake and 1.750-inch exhaust,
and the advantageous 15-degree valve angle.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1967-69-buick-400-and-430 wrote:In the new cylinder heads, bigger 2.00-/1.625-inch valves were at a 15-degree angle off the cylinder axis instead of vertical like the Nailhead's 1.875/1.50 valves and a domed semi-wedge shaped 68cc combustion chamber replaced the Pent-roof chamber. This more modern design was efficient and reduced emissions. Substantially-larger-than-Nailhead ports also contributed to improved top-end breathing.

Wish that I could be more helpful. I collected blocks and pans and generally chucked the heads.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Thanks Kevin.

Buick = 15 degrees.
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Well that is interesting. Does anyone have data from the rest of the manufacturers? Looking at the OHV wedge engines, what are the valve angles for Chrysler's engines (de Soto, Plymouth, Dodge, etc.), Ford's engines (Lincoln, Mercury, etc.), Packard, Studebaker and the others?
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

The Ford FE's are 13° and the MEL (383,410,430,462-merc,edsel,linc) is 0°. Valve heads are parallel to the head surface. Same for 348/409 Chev. SBF family, is 20°.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

AMC is 18
BBD is 15
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »