NOS GT40 Being Built at Holman Moody

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

NOS GT40 Being Built at Holman Moody

Post by skinny z »

What a wonderful car. If only for the headers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxeG7IMhAA

At 5 million bucks for an original, I'm just a little short a laying out the dough. (Pretty sure the company rep said 5 mil...!)
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: NOS GT40 Being Built at Holman Moody

Post by skinny z »

Mike Jones.
22 minutes in.
I bet you're familiar with this cam grinder.
Kevin
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

skinny z wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:59 pm Mike Jones.
22 minutes in.
Yep, that's Larry Wallace running the cam grinder. It's way older than the machines I learned on. To grind taper on the lobes, Larry would rough all the lobes in with no taper, then move the tail stock away from the grinding wheel, so the grinding wheel face is no longer parallel to the cam, then go in and grind about .005" off each lobe. On the Berco grinders I learned on, you just flip a switch, and the grinding wheel pivots, to grind the taper on the lobes.

That shop is the new H&M shop. They had to move from their original shop, when the Charlotte Airport needed their property for a new runway. Walking in to the old shop, was like walking thru a time machine. It looked like it hadn't changed since the 60's.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

CamKing wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:01 am
22 minutes in.
Yep, that's Larry Wallace running the cam grinder. It's way older than the machines I learned on. To grind taper on the lobes, Larry would rough all the lobes in with no taper, then move the tail stock away from the grinding wheel, so the grinding wheel face is no longer parallel to the cam, then go in and grind about .005" off each lobe. On the Berco grinders I learned on, you just flip a switch, and the grinding wheel pivots, to grind the taper on the lobes.

That shop is the new H&M shop. They had to move from their original shop, when the Charlotte Airport needed their property for a new runway. Walking in to the old shop, was like walking thru a time machine. It looked like it hadn't changed since the 60's.
Thats how I learned to grind flat tappets on a converted Landis. Rough grind the cam straight and then mark the lobes with red wax pen after the rear
center was shifted and grind until the the red wax pen was gone.
Indicating the the rear center for standard and reverse taper took a little time. Its been 20 years or so but I'm trying to remember how much we offset the tail stock. .030" I think.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Mummert wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:27 am
22 minutes in.

Thats how I learned to grind flat tappets on a converted Landis. Rough grind the cam straight and then mark the lobes with red wax pen after the rear
Indicating the the rear center for standard and reverse taper took a little time. Its been 20 years or so but I'm trying to remember how much we offset the tail stock. .030" I think.
Remembering ? ... I think it was .300" backset.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:36 am

That could very well be right. Whatever it was it would generate about .0012" -.0015" taper across the face.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

When I posted this, I thought that some history would come out of the woodwork.
Excellent.
Kevin
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Mummert wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:03 pm
That could very well be right. Whatever it was it would generate about .0012" -.0015" taper across the face.
I can't remember exactly either but I know it was more than .030" so, I thought you might have the decimal in the wrong place.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Mummert wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:03 pm
Assuming the length of the cam was 21" from center to center, for a lobe taper across the face of .0012", you would need to offset the tail stock center by .050". For a .0015" taper, you would need an offset of .063"
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I found the followup video to be fun.