"T" joint in exhaust vs power loss?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

89vette
"T" joint in exhaust vs power loss?

Post by 89vette »

Gonna reconfigure my exhaust to something that flows better. Wanting it all, I wouldn't mind LOUD and quiet in the same system. The only way to do that is with cut-outs. There's also the issue of drone which can be addressed with "J"-pipes to serve as quarter wave resonators. In either case, I would use "T" joints to create an exhaust branch.

My question pertains to power loss. Inserting a branch (uneven walls in piping) seems likely to lower HP. Anyone have an idea how much "T"s rob from an exhaust system? Seems like it's gotta be some, so I'm trying to gauge how much to narrow options. If it's more than a hair, I'd probably be forced to choose CORSA or Borla's new Cratemufflers to quash drone. And, stick to a single pathway.

TIA
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Re: "T" joint in exhaust vs power loss?

Post by BLSTIC »

If you want loud for power, the exhaust flow needs to cross across the top of the T. This will absolutely restrict flow when using the quiet side because 90 degree sharp joins absolutely suck for flow.

You'd be better served by a shallow Y junction, that way when you block the loud side you don't have a mitred join to go down the quiet side, it's just a bit worse than a normal bend.

With J pipes I'd be inclined to chamfer (wording?) the two sides of the T with the inner surface of a short radius bend just so the bulk flow doesn't have a sharp edge and the pulses still have a chance to go up the J
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

BLSTIC wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:32 pm If you want loud for power, the exhaust flow needs to cross across the top of the T. This will absolutely restrict flow when using the quiet side because 90 degree sharp joins absolutely suck for flow.

You'd be better served by a shallow Y junction, that way when you block the loud side you don't have a mitred join to go down the quiet side, it's just a bit worse than a normal bend.

With J pipes I'd be inclined to chamfer (wording?) the two sides of the T with the inner surface of a short radius bend just so the bulk flow doesn't have a sharp edge and the pulses still have a chance to go up the J
How? when you have 2 pipes and connect them would they restrict flow?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Which specific thing were you asking about?

The Y join will restrict flow a bit with one side blocked because at that point it's a bend with a really bad outside surface that has points.

A T join will restrict flow even on the straight through side for a similar reason, airflow hitting sharp surfaces doesn't rejoin the flow nicely, and it will expand a bit crossing that join and hit the joining wall
89vette

Post by 89vette »

BLSTIC: I am with you on the straight leg flowing best. However, if cut-outs flowed through BOTH "legs" (when the cutout) is open, how "bad" could the loud side be? Could turbulence (compared to a straight, smooth pipe) cause lower HP #s with both outlets open?

You really think radiusing the "T" branch would help -- especially if it's a Jpipe (where no gases should flow)?
F120

Post by F120 »

delete
Last edited by F120 on Fri May 26, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F120

Post by F120 »

Do you have headers? or lake pipes
85f42ae787a3a247056779d92146b55c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

I don't know if the radiused T would make a material difference to power, just that it would probably be measurable on a flow bench. There is gas flowing there, just not much. It's just continuously pulsing in and out a little disturbing the bulk flow. But on the other hand nobody else radiuses them it so it might not be a gain, and seeing as in this scenario you've got a bypass pipe it for maximum power mode anyway it probably affects you even less. I didn't think about that before saying it.

Surely someone has radiused an H-pipe before? It would be similar to that. Anyone with data?

A Y flowing from the "1" side to both of the "2" exits wouldn't be a restriction (ie in loud mode). Air going down both channels is fine. It's just when you block one side (or one side is flowing a ton less than the other side) you end up with a turbulent spot at the join.
89vette

Post by 89vette »

If I pursue the cutout option, it would be to side outlets AND the required turn would be from the trans tunnel "exit" before the rear axle. Though I agree a "Y" split would be better, I'm doubtful of completing the radius of the turn before hitting the axle. Hence, my thought about a "T" connector (which relates to J-pipes since both branch at 90-deg).