Suburban fuel tank pressure sensor.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Suburban fuel tank pressure sensor.

Post by gn69z28 »

I have a 2005 suburban that keeps pushing the fuel tank pressure sensor out of the top of the tank. Put new one in two months ago and now it's pushed out. I've ordered a new one along with a new tank filler cap. Could the cap be causing this and if not what do I look for to keep doing this. Other than that it runs great. Thanks
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Suburban fuel tank pressure sensor.

Post by Tuner »

Sounds like an obstruction between the tank vent and vapor canister. Perhaps a stuck or failed vapor canister purge or vent solenoid.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Are the retaining tabs still there?

The cap can cause too much pressure, but it normally fails by not holding any pressure.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Check for codes. Do you get a blast of air when removing gas cap? The canister vent solenoid is a possibility, remove it and check for gas in canister, caps generally leak pressure. Does tank fill at normal rate, without pushing gas back out filler?
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

There is no blast of air when removing the cap. I haven't checked the code yet but last time it was large evaporative leak. Tank sometimes kicks the pump handle off like it's full when filling but not always. I'll do some more checking today. Thanks for all the information and help.