General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 13 degree steel block , wet sump , internal oil pump motor

Post by FC-Pilot »

levisnteeshirt wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:23 pm
FC-Pilot wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:09 pm What is the engine? How many cylinders? What design uses a steel block? Is the engine mounted at a 13* angle?

I am trying to make any sense of what this engine is and what the application that it is dominating in.

Paul
You're a clown I guess ,, find Jody Adkins, Pikeville KY,, motor built by Hawks Racing, Princeton WV,, I'm up here at his shop now ,, his business has slowed way down since Covid,, I used to help him quite a bit , 13 degree Brodix 421 , world steel block , won around 13 races last year ,,, against all alum dry sump stuff ,, but you all keep being the all knowing people that you are ,, Anthony also builds all alum dry sump engines too ,, this motor was built for a track that ran this class then it closed ,, so he ran it against all super late cars and fried their ass , why do you think I thought it was worth mentioning?

The BS on here from the peanut gallery I see is just as bad as the last time I signed on here

It's a total shame this site used to be used by Joe Sherman and people of that caliber ,, I'm not hanging around long enough to find out.

This used to be an informative place to lurk ,, not anymore
Ok, thanks for the info. Now I know it is in a roundy round car. I must have missed the CI in the first post. I did not know if this was something exotic with a block machined out of actual steel or just slang for an iron block. Again, I love tech! I love guys doing more with less and beating the guy next to him using hard work and their brain together. You were excited to tell about how great it was compared to its competition, but never said what the competition was. I was looking forward to the tech that would be shared so we could all discuss and have a meaningful discussion. I am sorry if my comments hurt your feelings as that was not the intent. The intent was to spur valuable conversation. That was why many great builders were here, valuable conversations. I was genuinely asking questions so we could build a conversation from your answers.

Anyway, that was my intent. As a note I will refrain from asking you tech questions in the future as I seem to upset you. God bless you my friend.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

FC-Pilot wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:05 pm
levisnteeshirt wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:23 pm
FC-Pilot wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:09 pm What is the engine? How many cylinders? What design uses a steel block? Is the engine mounted at a 13* angle?

I am trying to make any sense of what this engine is and what the application that it is dominating in.

Paul
You're a clown I guess ,, find Jody Adkins, Pikeville KY,, motor built by Hawks Racing, Princeton WV,, I'm up here at his shop now ,, his business has slowed way down since Covid,, I used to help him quite a bit , 13 degree Brodix 421 , world steel block , won around 13 races last year ,,, against all alum dry sump stuff ,, but you all keep being the all knowing people that you are ,, Anthony also builds all alum dry sump engines too ,, this motor was built for a track that ran this class then it closed ,, so he ran it against all super late cars and fried their ass , why do you think I thought it was worth mentioning?

The BS on here from the peanut gallery I see is just as bad as the last time I signed on here

It's a total shame this site used to be used by Joe Sherman and people of that caliber ,, I'm not hanging around long enough to find out.

This used to be an informative place to lurk ,, not anymore
Ok, thanks for the info. Now I know it is in a roundy round car. I must have missed the CI in the first post. I did not know if this was something exotic with a block machined out of actual steel or just slang for an iron block. Again, I love tech! I love guys doing more with less and beating the guy next to him using hard work and their brain together. You were excited to tell about how great it was compared to its competition, but never said what the competition was. I was looking forward to the tech that would be shared so we could all discuss and have a meaningful discussion. I am sorry if my comments hurt your feelings as that was not the intent. The intent was to spur valuable conversation. That was why many great builders were here, valuable conversations. I was genuinely asking questions so we could build a conversation from your answers.

Anyway, that was my intent. As a note I will refrain from asking you tech questions in the future as I seem to upset you. God bless you my friend.

Paul
Pardon me ,, I list in the OP that it's beating alum block typical of super late dirt engines with a wet sump ,, and a steel/cast iron block ,, the class here for a CAST IRON block is called steel block ,,,

I didn't think the dam thing was gonna fall out of a tree with that Edelbrock cast intake as small as it is ,, it could be why it only did 775 HP which is low for a 13 degree 421 SBC ,, HVH CNC ported heads,, this was during the full collapse of the performance parts industry post Covid,, so they pretty much had to use what he could get ,,, HVH sent it to him with 10° locks and 7° retainers or vice versa so that had to be fixed ,, wanted bigger intake valves , didn't get em ,, wanted titanium valves, didn't get em ,, it's got a world .139 raised cam block ,, the only belt drive timing set available wasn't the best ,, the idler smoked a bearing but was corrected

It's on a throttle stop with about 7/8s throttle,, any more it just roasts the tires

All with everything that's not supposed to run well against Cornett and other big name engines ,,

That is the only reason I posted this ,, sorry to hurt so many peoples feelings,, but that's what this motor is doing best
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Eh ,, they might switch all of the parts over to an aluminum block ,, that will take all the fun out of bringing it to this forum ,, I hope it gets left a wet sump engine.

The man is a good driver with a good chassis,, so that factors in to his wins with this combo ,, but so are the cars he's beating with this CAST IRON block and wet sump

The owner bought the 9 degree engine I posted on here around 2012 or so that's still running built by the same shop ,, it does have a dry sump and alum block ,, it did 851 HP and 720 ftlbs ,my pals shop just got it back and refreshed it ,, found #1 rod journal roasted because someone replaced the front needle cam bearing with one too narrow and it was bleeding off oil feeding the front main.

They also routed the oil supply to the back of the block , Brodix recommends the front port for oil supply,, at least with this block ,, the crank was fixable and welded back ,, Callie's Ultra

I took allot of crap on here too when I posted what that engine did. It won it's share of races since it was built ,,, but not 13 in one year like this one has ,, with everything that's not supposed to work ,, that's why I posted it