What will this cam change do ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: What will this cam change do ?

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Learned something pretty important tonight. Been fighting with my engine to get it to run right. Got it to idle ok but had the occasional back fire. Checked everything, took it for a drive, seemed way down on power. Came home and was ready to change back to my original camshaft. Took one last look at the cam card and seen " 7/4 swap". Switched my plug wires around and amazing how much better it runs !! All my tuning issues suddenly went away !
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

great
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:26 pm Learned something pretty important tonight. Been fighting with my engine to get it to run right. Got it to idle ok but had the occasional back fire. Checked everything, took it for a drive, seemed way down on power. Came home and was ready to change back to my original camshaft. Took one last look at the cam card and seen " 7/4 swap". Switched my plug wires around and amazing how much better it runs !! All my tuning issues suddenly went away !
I was gunna give you a thumbs up, but this deserves an Lol. :lol: |

As to the original question, I guess the answer will come soon.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

For anyone who has been following my progress, I'm headed to the track for a test and tune with my 81 malibu race car. Hopefully can post some results tomorrow night. Here is where i'm at and what i've done.

Last years best 9.16 at 148

winter modifications :

new tires (hoosier 29 x 10 slicks)

used camshaft ( see specs above)

new MSD crank trigger distributor

switched to 1.7 rockers on the intake valves ( was running 1.8 with the other camshaft)

speeded up my vacuum pump a little, went from an 18 tooth crank pulley to a 22 tooth ( had 9" of vacuum with the 18)

fresh oil change (worried i may have contaminated my oil with the 4-7 cam fiasco so i changed it even though it was new oil )

hoping for 8's and 150 + mph. Last year my 60 foot suffered with 2 year old tires and more power, hoping to correct that.

Thanks for following

Brian
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Back to the drawing board to analyze my results. Best pass was a 9.179 at 147.5 . With shock tuning the 60 foot started to improve (1.35 best today) but the top end never improved. My gut is telling me the cam was the wrong move but have to think about it.

first pass 9.201 at 147.12 with a 1.380

2nd pass 9.179 at 147.55 with a 1.362

3rd pass got out of shape and lifted to straighten out 9.369 with a 1.353 60 foot

4th pass 9.224 at 146.23 (jetted up the carbs for these last 2 runs but was a bad idea. 60 foot was also 1.353

basically these times are in the same ball park as typical passes last year. so my winter modifications gained nothing, or some worked and some rreally didn't work.

Brian
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

The Cam comparison lacks information, we'd need to see it at least presented like this to make a judgement, even then for most of us there'd be guessing in the evaluation.

3-s2.0-B9781845697150500091-f09-01-9781845697150.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

In-Tech wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 am Hiya Brian
The heads are a choke but the intake is a bigger choke. I am assuming a 4.250 stroke. With that Erson cam, put the ICL at 112. Port that tunnel with at least a 15 degree taper port matched to the 385, radius entry at the top, and with all of that it will pick up ~100hp
The new cam will make more power everywhere in your rpm band.
You never mentioned the carbs in this post. Put a .040" primary and secondary MAB in the tunnel carbs without jetting change, check 60ft. It will Hit harder. Tighten valve lash .004" If it picks up...make at least a 660ft, check plugs. If all looks good, make a pass... .4 minimum better. Fuel curve is the key with that camshaft change.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

What carbs are you running?
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

What converter are you running ? You say 5500 stall. But what size etc. Did you see a change in stall speed after the cam swap ?

Even With the smaller cam which is not that small …. i think that’s not enough stall speed. 6000 stall +/- 200 would be in the ball park and then you could shift around 74-7600 rpm’s
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

your air flow issue in the front end could be a contributing factor
canada1

Post by canada1 »

I still think your intake manifold is the choke/cork in the bottle.
Get that correctly sized and you will see gains.
Your cubic inches and peak RPM is way, way beyond what those old tunnel rams were designed/sized for.
The bigger the cam, the higher the potential RPM peak - provided there is not a cork in the induction path.