SBC Chinese intake

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

racear2865 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:07 amare all the comments above subjective opinions or has any one tested that intake. I guess Im lost as to all the negatism viewed here or are we just Chines disoriented.
No, intakes with the runners intersecting the head at an angle were made in the 1970s. Airflow and fuel distribution sucked. Edelbrock added sawteeth and steps trying to make it better, then eventually came out with a new series of intakes with the runners curving smoothly into the ports.

Even if it was a "dry" intake with injectors in the runners, there are still a bunch of corners in that intake.

I'm don't have a dog in this fight; if you try it and it outpowers a Victor Jr. or Brodix intake, I'll happily admit I was wrong and order one for myself.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by racear2865 »

dwilliams wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 pm
racear2865 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:07 amare all the comments above subjective opinions or has any one tested that intake. I guess Im lost as to all the negatism viewed here or are we just Chines disoriented.
No, intakes with the runners intersecting the head at an angle were made in the 1970s. Airflow and fuel distribution sucked. Edelbrock added sawteeth and steps trying to make it better, then eventually came out with a new series of intakes with the runners curving smoothly into the ports.

Even if it was a "dry" intake with injectors in the runners, there are still a bunch of corners in that intake.

I'm don't have a dog in this fight; if you try it and it outpowers a Victor Jr. or Brodix intake, I'll happily admit I was wrong and order one for myself.

Why would I try it and tell any one but I will admit I may try one on my dyno for giggles. Since its a good conversation piece here, should be great when a customer walks in. I keep a grunt engine to try "stuff". Hell Ive spent more money for beer
reed
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Re:

Post by MadBill »

racear2865 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Why would I try it and tell any one but I will admit I may try one on my dyno for giggles. Since its a good conversation piece here, should be great when a customer walks in. I keep a grunt engine to try "stuff". Hell Ive spent more money for beer
reed
So, per your first highlighted sentance you'd like to know all about it if anyone else has tested this manifold but per the second you can't imagine why you would share such results? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

reed
Or as my way long gone Buddy from south of B'Ham used to say, "Why I'd pay that ta watch a cat sh*t!"..

He, He!!

pdq67
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

reed
that is why I got stuff from TRW to run because I told them if it worked where other shops if it worked they kept it secret
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Chinese intake

Post by racear2865 »

hello MadBill
I have a reason for that. I did not offer a opinion if it would or would not work. I do not know, but what I do see is condemnation from opinions, not ANY proof. Heck I get to see enough conjectures when I read some auto magazine articles. And I will admit, I get perturbed on opinions with no knowledge if it will work. And with out a doubt, if some one called or PMed me, I would and do share knowledge, just as u do.
reed
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

They have a website. Been in business since 2006, it says. Looks like they sell mainly Hilborn-style injection stuff.

https://jlfabrication.com
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Reminds me of the infamous Bud Moore Box. There's a YouTube video of a similar one Jon Kaase made of plexiglas that you can watch fuel drop out of suspension and coat the whole insides with a thick layer of liquid. Good luck.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

They may have fabrication in their name, but I don't think they fabricate the intake systems on their website. That stuff is all Speedmaster and Chinese stuff. The two manifolds pictured in this post are most likely built in China as imports and cost was the basis of their design and fabrication. Uneven length runners, no taper to runners, no bell mouth entrances to runners, sharp angles and plenty of places for fuel to drop out of suspension with carb or carbs. If you just need CHEAP, they meet that criteria. If you need efficiency and good performance they come up short in my book. JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

x2 newold
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

jsgarage wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm Reminds me of the infamous Bud Moore Box. There's a YouTube video of a similar one Jon Kaase made of plexiglas that you can watch fuel drop out of suspension and coat the whole insides with a thick layer of liquid. Good luck.
Well plastic would do that. It has a smooth surface and different surface tensions than steel or aluminium.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

kimosabi wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:55 am Well try it. It's cheaper right(?) and the Holley one is probably made in China too.

Where did you find this? Any guy with some metal skills can make it work.
We tested that manifold at Edelbrock, it was terrible.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars