CFD/CAD/Thread

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: CFD/CAD/Thread

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

JC565Ford wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:17 am Those box cross rams work really well on the 426 hemi. If he sized it correctly for the planned 500" engine and rpm range it could work really well.

He knows a bit about building high performance engines, so I suspect he did his homework.
These?
Hemi parts intakes 012.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

JC565Ford wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:17 am Those box cross rams work really well on the 426 hemi. If he sized it correctly for the planned 500" engine and rpm range it could work really well.

He knows a bit about building high performance engines, so I suspect he did his homework.
True, But you never really know untill you hit the dyno!!
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:29 am
These?

Hemi parts intakes 012.JPG
The one I was thinking about have the carbs more side to side. I don't know how much work they take to make run, but I've read that they are pretty good parts for the engine.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

JC565Ford wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:50 pm The one I was thinking about have the carbs more side to side. I don't know how much work they take to make run, but I've read that they are pretty good parts for the engine.
A cross ram manifold like that has some built-in disadvantages:

The runner openings are usually boxed in on 3 sides so the wave pulses are diminished.
The air trajectory reverses direction with small turn radius so fuel suspension is diminished, puddling is a problem.
Plenums have too much width to height ratio
Too much sharp corners in plenum

I have friend that had one on a 426 Hemi, it loaded up terribly after letting off the throttle as one would expect with a plenum with dead air space.
In street racing his 2-plane 2x4 manifold was much better because he could feather the throttle...the cross ram would load up take a second to clean out.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Jon,how come our intake works so good on the street and races well?Tom
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

I have run a Max Wedge cross ram on a 446 without any problems.
On the street with a .690" lift roller cam.

Erland
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

tjs44 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:43 am Jon,how come our intake works so good on the street and races well?Tom
There is a lot of upside potential if a new design were made that incorporated what we have learned in the past 50 years.
It wouldn't have the hood clearance that your manifold does though.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

This head had a 50º seat and 92% throat. I will add more as the thread goes.
Im assuming that the material behind the valve is minimal, and the hood clearance is already near perfection considering the other class rules.

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:09 am
A cross ram manifold like that has some built-in disadvantages:

The runner openings are usually boxed in on 3 sides so the wave pulses are diminished.
The air trajectory reverses direction with small turn radius so fuel suspension is diminished, puddling is a problem.

I have friend that had one on a 426 Hemi, it loaded up terribly after letting off the throttle as one would expect with a plenum with dead air space.
In street racing his 2-plane 2x4 manifold was much better because he could feather the throttle...the cross ram would load up take a second to clean out.
Over the years I've run into a couple people who loved theirs. It was my understanding (I could be wrong) that those manifolds ran well in the NHRA classes. Maybe someone knows better ?

Also, the manifold that was posted for the 500 in engine is an EFI manifold. That would eliminate quite a few of the issues you stated.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

JC565Ford wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:14 pm Over the years I've run into a couple people who loved theirs. It was my understanding (I could be wrong) that those manifolds ran well in the NHRA classes. Maybe someone knows better ?

Also, the manifold that was posted for the 500 in engine is an EFI manifold. That would eliminate quite a few of the issues you stated.
Good compared to what? There is good reason that OEMs don't make manifolds like that anymore.

Regarding issues mitigated by EFI

-Not mitigated

-Not mitigated when the injectors are positioned in an area with much velocity and there are also areas of low velocity and horizontal floors near the runner entrances

-Not mitigated

-Not mitigated

There is good reason that OEMs have converged on manifolds that look like this:
This manifold probably has more R&D invested in than all cast aluminum cross-ram man-folds ever made combined.
This series of manifold performed as well as any tunnel ram and fit under the hood of a Mustang.
And they sell them for about $400.
coyote.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:47 pm

Good compared to what? There is good reason that OEMs don't make manifolds like that anymore.

Regarding issues mitigated by EFI

You can try to convince the guys who posted above that theirs don't work near as well as they think they do.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

JC565Ford wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:13 pm You can try to convince the guys who posted above that theirs don't work near as well as they think they do.
"Well" compared to what?

The characteristics of an optimised manifold are well established.

Tuned length
Tuned cross section/taper
Round rather than rectangular cross-section to the extent possible
Uniform bell mouth opening around full perimeter
Minimal low velocity volumes with fuel
Uniform distance from runner openings to plenum walls
Minimal reversals in flow
Minimal horizontal surfaces in plenum with fuel
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:36 pm

"Well" compared to what?

The characteristics of an optimised manifold are well established.

Tuned length
Tuned cross section/taper
Round rather than rectangular cross-section to the extent possible
Uniform bell mouth opening around full perimeter
Minimal low velocity volumes with fuel
Uniform distance from runner openings to plenum walls
Minimal reversals in flow
Minimal horizontal surfaces in plenum with fuel
You need not convenience me that something more modern can be made better. You probably don't even need to convince the guys running them that something could be made better. I'm sure they would agree. You made a post above stating how bad they were and un-tunable. There are guys running them ( two posting here) that have a different experience with theirs. Maybe they are wrong and you are correct about what they have experienced ?
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

That coyote design looks like packaging was the main concern. There’s never been anything OEM that couldn’t be improved upon by skewing the priorities to be bias more towards performance
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

digger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:29 pm That coyote design looks like packaging was the main concern. There’s never been anything OEM that couldn’t be improved upon by skewing the priorities to be bias more towards performance
I'm not so certain that performance was not a high priority in that design.
1. Moving the plenum under the runners allows longer runners to target an RPM between PHP and PT with a lower a wave number for the expected tuning range.
2. Reduces the turn radius into the plenum which reduces frictional flow loses by reducing the higher velocity inherent in tighter radii.
3. It still fits under the hood!

When I see enlightened designs... I always wonder why it wasn't thought of before. My impression of disc brakes and planetary gear reduction too.
- Paul