"Running on gas vapors got me 400MPG" really?....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ELS
Pro
Pro
Re: "Running on gas vapors got me 400MPG" really?....

Post by ELS »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:29 pm
Unfortunetly a real engine doesnt go by simple maths.
To the surprise of many, all engines obey the laws of physics. Where do you think my data is wrong?
A carburator has actually an advantage over fuel injection, ...
A carb has two advantages over fuel injection:
it is simple, and it is cheap. They can run well in lawn mowers at a single speed. They do not run well across a wide rpm band.

Every serious engine designer has incorporated fuel injection over carbs (includiing an old lady like NASCAR).
TF is you're problem really? Do you live just to find someone to piss off all the time?
I try to explain things in a way anyone can understand them, yet you just shut your eyes and mindlessly write something against everything I write

You know, it's no sin to agree on something for once.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

A carburator has actually an advantage over fuel injection, ...
A carb has two advantages over fuel injection:
it is simple, and it is cheap. They can run well in lawn mowers at a single speed. They do not run well across a wide rpm band.

Every serious engine designer has incorporated fuel injection over carbs (includiing an old lady like NASCAR).

TF is you're problem really? Do you live just to find someone to piss off all the time?
I try to explain things in a way anyone can understand them, yet you just shut your eyes and mindlessly write something against everything I write

You know, it's no sin to agree on something for once.

My, my, do we ever have our panties in a bunch today. Well, better pissed off than pissed on. :D
Mindlessly? Yeah. After fifty years of fuel injection tuning, I guess it does become a no brainer.

Please. A debate based on facts is healthy. An argument based on ignorance is stupid.
Ignorance can be cured; stupid is forever. :lol:
Last edited by David Redszus on Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:50 pm Please. A debate based on facts is healthy. An argument based on ignorance is stupid.
Oh the irony
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

400 MPG? :lol:
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:50 pm Please. A debate based on facts is healthy. An argument based on ignorance is stupid.
It is unfortunate that when casting pearls some fall in a dark corner of the pen.
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

Tom68 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 pm
ELS wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:23 pm has anyone tried this and what was the dissapoitment?
I presume it could help a bit, since the fuel sprayed from a carb may not fully evaporate and certainly wont fully mix with the air.
but its obvious to me that 400mpg is not possible... so what is it really?
It's called LP-Gas, 20 to 30 mpg.
Great point LP is already gas form, and engines built for LP higher anti-knock capacity make up some lost energy as a fuel vs gasoline.

Gas/USG 120xxx BTU
Propane/USG 91xxx BTU

It's about 30+% efficient, with all the losses and radiated heat from the combustion. Harvest the heat better, and you can make it more efficient. But 400mpg...is just ludicrous. 120k BTU of energy would likely not even support the vehicle rolling and air resistance for 400miles.

A 50 - 75mpg engine...sure. Probably possible, but limited size vehicle and drag etc.
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

Tartilla wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:28 pm
Tom68 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 pm
ELS wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:23 pm has anyone tried this and what was the dissapoitment?
I presume it could help a bit, since the fuel sprayed from a carb may not fully evaporate and certainly wont fully mix with the air.
but its obvious to me that 400mpg is not possible... so what is it really?
It's called LP-Gas, 20 to 30 mpg.
Great point LP is already gas form, and engines built for LP higher anti-knock capacity make up some lost energy as a fuel vs gasoline.

Gas/USG 120xxx BTU
Propane/USG 91xxx BTU

It's about 30+% efficient, with all the losses and radiated heat from the combustion. Harvest the heat better, and you can make it more efficient. But 400mpg...is just ludicrous. 120k BTU of energy would likely not even support the vehicle rolling and air resistance for 400miles.

A 50 - 75mpg engine...sure. Probably possible, but limited size vehicle and drag etc.
You can't run an engine from BTU's alone, you need an expansion medium. For gasoline this is the nitrogen left over from the air, CO2, and the most efficient of the 3 - water.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

OMG, add water injection to LPG then.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

1980RS wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:09 pm 400 MPG? :lol:
A 1959 Opel Olympia Rekord, (3 door station wagon), modified by Shell engineers, set a fuel economy
record of 367 MPG at a test track at Wood River, IL in 1973.

That same car is now for sale for $425,000. It might take a while to break even with fuel cost savings.

And, yes it had a seat. One.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

David Redszus wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:48 pm
1980RS wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:09 pm 400 MPG? :lol:
A 1959 Opel Olympia Rekord, (3 door station wagon), modified by Shell engineers, set a fuel economy
record of 367 MPG at a test track at Wood River, IL in 1973.

That same car is now for sale for $425,000. It might take a while to break even with fuel cost savings.

And, yes it had a seat. One.
Wasn’t too hard to find

http://www.opel-p1.nl/custom/testcar/Shell%20Opel.htm
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

You don't want a variable opening injector. Modern (port) injectors have a single pintle and a spray head that has the multiple holes, all you'll achieve with a partially open injector is lower pressure across the spray head/cap (which has never achieved anything positive for spray patterns). What you want (without having a 12 pintle injector) is faster opening and closing injector for full pressure across the spray head in less time.

400mpg is technically easy. You can do it with a carbed Briggs and Stratton engine in a velomobile (enclosed recumbent tricycle). It seats one and uses the Briggs to pulse the "car" up to speed then shuts off and rolls. Average speed is low and safety is not a thing.

If you had a modern tech 50cc 4 stroke powering a series hybrid you could probably get a 2 seat city version happening. Still not gonna be safe though.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Safer for aging parkades than a fleet of modern SUV battle tanks though!

:-D
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Absolutely. Cars around town suck for public health. Trucks, SUVs, and "trucks" are far worse.

If I were to start the system again I'd make heavy vehicle licences necessary for everything over some size and weight limit (bonus weight allowance for EVs benders of technical necessity). Not that you need a reason to own one, but more "hey your slaughtermobile is objectively more dangerous, prove you can drive it safely"